Can you make a call from the ship?

tannerxyz

We'll be on the CB next week. Is it possible to make

a phone call from the ship?

Is it expensive? I might have to do this and

couldn't find any info on the Princess site.

Thanks!

Mary

I didnt make one but I heard you can for about $10 a minute. My Verizon cell phone worked in a few ports.

Here's what I found on the Princess Website - So I imagine the rate for calling out is the same as calling in http://www.princess.com/answer/ready.html

REACHING YOU AT SEA

To provide greater peace of mind while you're away from home, give friends and relatives the following information on how to telephone you. For all ships in the Princess fleet, call 1-900-329-SHIP (1-900-329-7447) from the United States or 1- 1-900-565-2800 from Canada to bill your telephone.* Calls can also be charged to a credit card in both the United States and Canada by dialing 1-877-656-7447. Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card (not Canadian) are all accepted. The cost for each call is $8.95 USD per minute or $11.95 CAD per minute.

I've never gotten my cell phone to work while at sea (no problems in most ports) though the last time RCL had a brochure about Cellular at Sea - and here's the link to that http://www.wirelessatsea.com/endusers.htm though currently looking at that they only list one Princess ship though.

Susan :)

Thanks for the idea of calling from a port.

I have a Verizon cell, so I will try that.

Mary

Call Verizon first, they will add international calling to your account, it's free to add, and it makes the call cheaper...

Could you possibly get away with sending an email instead? Would be WAYYYYYY cheaper!:D

By the time I signed on, figured out what I was doing wrong, waited for things to load, and sent a 2 sentence email, I couldve made a 1 and a half minute phone call! :eek:

Here's what I found on the Princess Website - So I imagine the rate for calling out is the same as calling in http://www.princess.com/answer/ready.html :)
Calling out on the ship phone on the Grand Princess (March) was $4.99 per minute, which was the same as the T-Mobile international roaming rate at sea. I believe the other carriers have lower rates, around $2.95 per minute.

I was on the CB and was able to use my Verizon cell phone on the ship and in port from Fort Lauderdale, St. Thomas, & St. Maarten. I called Verizon before I left & had the international calling added. I was told the roaming charge in St. Thomas would be $.69/minute and St. Maarten would be $1.29/minute. Haven't gotten my new bill yet so don't know the total cost. I was calling another Verizon cell phone so don't know if that mattered.

Alltell National Freedom plan includes Fort Lauderdale, San Juan and St Thomas at no additional cost - I have never tried it from St Marten. Unless you could get a signal from a St Thomas tower I doubt it would work free since St Thomas is not a US`possession.

Ron

Ron, did you accidentally type St. Thomas in the last sentence when you meant to put St. Maarten? As in "since St. Maarten is not a US possession". :D

Caught me - one of those senior moments. St Thomas is a US possession - St Martin is co-owned.

Ron

I have Cingular (now A T & T) and it is included in your plan from San Juan and St. Thomas. Buy a pre-paid A T & T card at Sam's Club. Call the local A T & T number from any island and tell the operator that you have a pre-paid US card and they will connect you with the US access and you can dial calls. Not as difficult as it might sound and VERY cheap compared to using the ship phone.

:)

On two cruises we have had to make calls from the ship, used the phone in the cabin, and the charge was only about $5 both times, despite the fact that the second time the calls were quite lengthy (family crisis)--in fact, only one of the calls was charged.

Doodie:)

Archived