Avalon Waterways Bucharest to Budapest - suggestions?

Steph27

I am booked on the Avalon Waterways Bucharest to Budapest cruise in 2008. I would appreciate reviews of anyone who has done this itinerary (or the reverse). What time do you embark from Bucharest? Are there any options besides Constanta? I have read less than positive reviews of this port. I also was wondering about Kalosca and how much time you have there. Thinking about going to a nearby town on our own instead. Do you arrive in Budapest at night? I booked a "B" category cabin but heard that the smoke from the engine can be iritating if the window is left open. Any truth to this? Should I switch to the top deck? What were the stops in Bulgaria like? Any info on this cruise would be greatly appreciated.

There is no smoke from the engines as the ships that Avalon are using have the new silent drive system and the engine house is behind the ship. It is like a hotel barge and is pushed by the tug. I just finished the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on the Avalon Tranquility. We had the Royal deck(3rd) but I would also be very happy with the 2nd deck. I would try to get in the middle of the ship however as the bow thrusters can be quite noisy when going thru the locks.We had cabin 321 and never heard anything. I never even woke up when going thru the locks at night.

You will have a great time. This was the best vacation we ever had. Can't wait to do it again.:D

letsgo,

Thanks so much. Glad to hear the engine is not a problem. We are not in the middle but can book an "A" cabin that is still available for just $50 more. I guess it is worth it. Around what time did you get underway at night each day? I am used to typical ocean cruises where it is anywhere from 5:00pm to 7:00pm usually. I am looking forward to the trip! :)

Archived