Greetings from Camp Seabourn Legend

JaneBP

Jane, you make us feel as thought we were at your side, so...went to the kitchen and had a wee sip of Drano..so that I too could say that I imbibed. As for the "rails"...there is no country side that I can recall, where we were so close to screaming as we looked down.......! And such narrow roads. Of course that is one of the reasons it is so beautiful, you do not go across bridges...etc..you go around or over everything..thus the natural beauty. Sorry for the fires..both for you and the locals. Looking forward to your fun chats..Lola

Jane,

You made Mrs. Jack and me smile when you mentioned the grappa. If you have the occasion, try a drop or two of sliwovits (sp?). It's a plum whiskey made by the locals. (Read bootleg) It's really quite (ahem) "interesting".

Excellent commentary. Makes you feel as if we're there. Thanks so much for taking your valuable time.:) Jack & Mrs. Jack

Ah, dear readers, camp is winding down. Some are talking about (gasp!) packing! Last night we had the camp counselor talent show (aka 'Liars Club') which was a real hoot and very well attended. I think there were 13 teams. Participating were: Liam McDaid of Security, Luca, Marcel, and Mandy our magician. We all were in stitches. The repartee was such fun, as always. And I tell you, Marcel is perfect in this new position.

We overnighted in Dubbrovnik and yesterday I went touring. I had a car with a guide and we drove south, almost to Montenegro. He mentioned Kotor and I sight, 'Been there, done that!'. The smoke seemed to have cleared, but we could smell it in the cabins. However, further south, along the main coast road, we drove by smoldering embers at the side of the road. Now, my guide seems quite convinced that the Serbians set the fires, knowing the north wind would take it over the hill to Croatia. I just listened. The fact that it has not rained in 3 months didn't seem to change his mind.

We drove into the countryside and the fruit trees were laden with ripening fruit. Their scents were divine. We had lunch in Cavat, a seaside town not far from Dubrovnik. It was one of those lovely days where one could linger over wine (I had Coke light) and watch the children playing in the water. Seems water polo is quite big in Croatia. I think I over-tipped the waiter because he insisted on taking my photo with his cell phone. He also probably has my cc information. Since I was told he was Serbian, maybe I should fret a bit.

Returning to the Seabourn tent, awaiting the tender, the hordes were seen hiking the ramparts. It was hot in the afternoon, so the cafes were crowded. I find the Seabourn tent a better cafe (and free) and am quite content to sit there, chatting with whoever is on duty and whoever comes by. I was pleased that the seas were calm and even I could waltz on and off the tender. There was a marina day as well; everyone seemed to have a good time.

Today we had a special luncheon with Chef Markus, he leaves tomorrow to get to the Pride. I am here to tell you that the 'Gruyere Twice Baked Souffle' is even better than the goat cheese one, and I had a double portion of that last night.

Willi is back and we had a good chat. His lady love was working on the ship while he pined away for 2 months in Belgium. He said it rained a lot, but perhaps more in his heart than on the earth. He is most excited about the dining/kitchen facilities on the new ships and re-confirmed that the new menus will be rolled out in a few months.

Today's Trivia was advertised as a fund raiser for the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Program. Seems that for a donation >$25, one got a nice sun visor and a pink bracelet. The slogan is 'On Deck for the Cure' Seabourn Luxury Yachts. This was the first time I came across this and was glad to contribute. I didn't see to many bracelets, but they would interfere with the tan on a sea day, so I can't draw any conclusions.

We had a charming epicurean cocktail hour before the guitarist Tom performed. He is fabulous. Also, I do think the band with the two singers 'Oasis' (I think) is great. The jury (me) is still out on the duo (Everest?) from Poland.

Time for magic and mayhem!

TTFN

Some are talking about (gasp!) packing!

They are probably the same people who put up their Christmas decorations the day after they bring in their jack-o'-lanterns!:D

Jane, your travelogue has been most entertaining and I look forward to your review of the Amalfi Coast.

Safe travels,

johnny

Jane,

Thanks again for taking your valuable time to give us your wonderful travelogue!

If you get the chance, please tell Mandy Muden that Tall Paul the walker, lookout and guest at her hosted dinner table from the Nov. 06 crossing says "Hi and Cheers!" She is such a hoot and a lovely lady (not to mention making previously kidnapped animals appear out of nowhere). Also, can you please ask her if she will be aboard for this year's Legendary crossing? Thanks,

Continued happy and smooth sailing! :)

Thanks for a great travelogue, I am really enjoying it, although waves of jealousy keep flowing through me :( I NEED to be on Seabourn to recuperate properly........a glass of champagne served by one of the wonderful kids, followed by another...and another....would do wonders for my recuperation......

Well, it's almost over and time for the last marshmallow roast (aka Ice Cream Social) and the final Taps (aka Marcel at the SkyBar spinning songs. (No, not 'Spinal Tap'!)

Yesterday was interesting, Amalfi was very crowded and a bit hot and hazy. We had to use the local tenders( not sure why), and the men were really bad, hauling not just me, but everyone, not waiting for the sea to calm or for us to get a footing. Several people stumbled into the boat as they were pushed. I was on the Virtuoso tour, first a walk about in Amalfi. I said "Thank you, but I will sit here and wait for the bus. It ws lovely, and I had a nice chat with a little grandmother who spoke no English and my Italian doesn't go much past pasta types. She and her husband were going to Naples. I gave her my Seabourn visor and she was pleased; lots of hugs and kisses when their ferry arrived.

We boarded the bus, went to Ravallo. Again, me on a bench, others touring a mansion. Turth be told, several told me I had the better sense. But, luncheon was at the Hotel Caruso (? nee Belvedere) at the tippy top and we had a delicious lunch complete with stunning views and wandering minstrels. Very nice. The trip back was easy, some stayed in town, and I stayed at my favorite waterside bistro, Cafe Seabourn. Thankfully the tender crew in the afternoon were much better.

Last night I could not bear another cocktail party and formal night. I stayed in, reading a good book and watching BBC Prime. Now (and you are gonna love this) I ordered dinner about 9. OK, fine, I was thirsty and ordered two iced teas. When the waiter arrived, the tray was piled with stacks of covered dishes!!! Seems they figured since I ordered two teas, I was having a guest and they brought double and more of everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was that nice, or what?

The wind and seas picked up overnight. By morning the Captain was on at 8 and 10 advising us to caution and promising better seas. Many were indisposed but now things are much more calm and life has returned to those who want that last sun ray or massage. The rest of us are prolly stuffing suitcases and looking for the chains to lash ourselves to the railings.

Paul, if I see Mandy, I shall for sure give her your best and inquire about her future bookings. She is to be on the Pride with us. Also, I did see JA and her husband early on and we shall be ready to go very soon.

Signing off for now, but perhaps a PS from Philly. I have to start packing again!!! Isn't that wonderful????

Jane, love you Camp Legend reports! Thank you so much for the input. We leave Thursday for the Spirit - Athens to Rome. Can't wait as we are in dire need of pampering plus visiting some of the ports we have never been to. Thanks again. Also looking forward to meeting you on the Alexandria to Dubai trip on November 3rd. Take care.

Well, it is all over. I am home and left to sniffing the remains of the Moulton Brown bath soap. And, I might add, that when I remove the plastic cover from my nuked Lean Cuisine, and say to myself, 'And now for your dining pleasure, ET VOILA!" it certainly doesn't have the same cachet.

And next time I need to learn the Camp Seabourn song for sure!

Well, it is all over.

And next time I need to learn the Camp Seabourn song for sure!

Dear Jane:

In the expanse of 36 days, I'm sure you'll be able to memorize the lyrics!

Enjoyed your Jimmy Olsen reports. Welcome home!

Paul

>"I might suggest that going cold turkey straight into Lean Cuisine is unfair to you and your system. You need to ease back into reality."

Thanks, but what about easing back into my shorts? OK, I admit, I did order out for a cheesesteak with fried onions late last night.

Jane

:) Hi Jane, So glad you made it home safe and sound. I enjoyed reading your postings, it was a really nice cruise, great ports, great service and food, good mix of people. We stayed in Nice for one night, then flew home on Sunday. Unfortunately for me I got off the ship with a bad cold/respiratory illness and was uncomfortable all the way home. I try to be so careful with hand washing so I will not pick up germs, but I guess I failed. I feel awful. Just trying to do mountains of laundry and rest. I am not even putting everything away as we are off again in a month. It was nice seeing you again and we'll meet again in London...are you staying at the Mandarin for the two nights? Good and accurate job reporting on the cruise. Take care of yourself. J.A.:) :) :)

Hi

Sorry about the cold, some can't be helped, no matter how much hand-washing! Yes, I am staying at the MO for the two nights before hand. I am going to contact the concierge to see if I can get a ticket to the British Museum to see the Chinese warriors exhibit.

See you both soon!

>"not that good or in trivia. cobbler stick to your last"

I have no idea to what you are referring, other than a shoe. (I hope)

Please advise.

Jane

a last is the shape of a foot a cobbler uses in making a shoe. IE stick to what you do best

a last is the shape of a foot a cobbler uses in making a shoe. IE stick to what you do best

Ah, well I was reading it as a cobbler's 'weapon'. <G> I thought Marcel was fine at Trivia, no more problems than anyone else whose primary language is not English.

Thanks1

>"...have you gone off BBC's as no mention of them???"

Not a bit, Deb. Had them frequently. After all, they are a great breakfast drink and/or dinner dessert.

I spent a good deal of time in my cabin, I wonder if Room Service brings bar drinks? Anyone know?

Hi Jane

glad that you still enjoy them, BBC's are definately a drink for all occassions as you say, trouble is they taste like a milk shake:) until you stand up:o

I'm sure that they would bring you bar drinks to the cabin,

deb

Archived