St. Johns...which beach ???

Joie

We are a group of 3 middle aged (hate that term) girls who cruise each year. Have not been to St. Johns yet....going in November....so we are shoppers, and site-seers and a little bit beach people.....so what do you recommend for us. I think the tour to Trunk Bay wouldn't get us everything we are looking for....but since I have never been there I am looking for suggestions. Is the beach, stores and stuff interesting right there in Cruz Bay if we would just take the ferry over? Also how long of a ride is it from Cruz Bay to Hawksnest and/or Trunk Bay? Cab fare would be expensive or not.

And does Carnivals tours leave from Havensight or from Red Hook?

Hawksnest is my personal favorite of the beaches on St John, it doesn't have all the amenities that Cinnamon and Trunk have but it's quiet and peaceful IMO. It's a very short ride from Cruz Bay, I'd say 10 minutes at most. Sorry, can't help you with the taxi fares since we rented a jeep for the week.

I love Cruz Bay, it has some really neat stores and it's so much less commercialized than St Thomas. I purchased my hook bracelet in Cruz Bay (at Palm Jewelers) and I wear it every day, definitely my favorite purchase during our stay there last summer.

thank you for the reply. Sounds like a nice beach...and I didn't realize that Cruz bay has alot to do there.....going to have to research there. I was worried about taking the ferry over and having time to do things....but we are in St. Thomas from 8:00 to 6:00 pm...so we will have plenty of time. I wish that Carnival just offered transportation to St. John's and not a formal tour....but we can find it on our own I am sure.

We just got off our cruise and were in St. Thomas from 7am-6pm. We had to be back on the ship by 5:30. The ferries are not always dependable, so you have to be a little cautious. It is very easy to get to St. John. We ended up taking a taxi from the pier area to the ferry and then took the ferry over to St. John. There are many threads on this and links to the ferry schedule, etc. In our case we did not give ourselves time for shopping. Just got off the ferry, got a taxi to Trunk Bay with a stop at the Trunk Bay overlook to take a picture. We spent the whole time on the beach. It is the most beautiful I have ever seen. Just gorgeous. When you get dropped off by the taxi and before you get to the beach there are buildings with bathrooms, snack bar, and beach chair and snorkel equipement rental. I highly recommend Trunk Bay! The latest ferry we could take to guarantee getting back on the ship by 5:30 was the 4pm ferry and we did not want to take a chance on anything happening with that ferry, so we caught the 3pm ferry back. There is a shopping area near the ferry and I believe other shopping areas also. The water at this beach is so crystal clear and a stunning turquoise color. Well worth it!!!!!!!!

Archived