Forced Overnight in Fort Lauderdale - They pay the Pre-Night Hotel

jt58203

We have an international airport in our small city in So California, yet we will pay more to fly out then nearby city of Ontario, Calif. However, when we figure in a Hotel for night before, gas, food, in Ontario, we are still better off going out of our home. Eg Home to Denver = $ 865 (#2), Ontario to Denver = $ 588+ lodging $ 90 + food/gas $ 85-90 = $760 give or take, plus the 1 1/2 hour driving time.

RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, HAWAII OCTOBER 11, 2008

As I mentioned earlier (post #1) this was for the Feb. 3 cruise out of FLL. I also inquired about the Jan 27 departure and TA said it would cost $83.68 pp at the Marriott North for the pre-cruise stay. Does the ship leave later in the day on Jan 27? As far as I can tell the flight information is the same for either cruise. I don't get it.

Hey neighbour! The hotels they have put us up in Ft Lauderdale were ones they used for the pre/post cruise but they were the cheapest ones - once the Marriott North and the last time Renaissance Plantation. Nice hotels but not real close to anything.

Make sure when you get the quote that it says on it "forced overnight". When we started planning our April/08 trip the TA said it would include a forced overnight but when the slip came in, no overnight. I know she's spent hours on the phone with Princess over this because it was the first one she's had where it wasn't included and all because of the early flight that was just started. We also would be getting into Ft Lauderdale around 1:15 to 1:30.

We had done air and transfers with them and they picked us up at the airport with a bus, took us to the hotel, and next day the bus picked us up and took us to the ship. One nice thing is you get off the bus with your carryon and don't see your luggage again until it's delivered to the room.

Joan

Joan

I'm sure you're a seasoned cruiser that has been through the Toronto airport on many an occasion as have we. I'm not sure I would ever trust a sail date day fly in that involved the Pearson airport and Air Canada. I know if it's Princess air they have to wait for you or get you to your first port but I personally would still recommend flying in the day ahead. Just my unsolicted two cents. Happy cruising!

I just returned from vacation and received an email quote from my TA. Her office is now closed for the day and she is on vacation until next week. I can call tomorrow and ask another TA but was wondering if this has happened to anyone before. She gave me a quote for the Caribbean Princess departing Feb. 3. Then she added "Forced overnight (Feb 2) in Fort Lauderdale - They pay the Pre-Night Hotel". I live in "the boonies" and served by a small airport which means I have to change planes at least twice when I travel. I'm guessing that even if I were to take the earliest flight on Feb 3 I would not make it there on time. I wanted to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale a day before anyway, so this sounds like a good deal (saving us $85-$89 pp), right? Sorry for the long post.

I'm going on the CB in November and live in a major metropolitan area. I *always* fly in the day before even though I could in theory fly in the same day. It's just not worth the heartache of possibly missing the cruise because of cruddy weather on the way into FLL. What you may end up spending in extra hotel costs will be worth the lack of stress in rushing around. I don't have to tell you about unpredictable winter weather!

Here's a recommendation for hotels, all in the same general area. There's a La Quinta, Hilton Garden Inn, Comfort Inn, etc. all in the same general area. I like the area becuase it is less than a 15 minute drive from the airport and less than a 15 minute drive to the pier. Most hotels have FREE airport/cruise shuttles. Also, it is next to a HUGE shopping plaza so you can pick up stuff like water and sodas (if you prefer to bring your own on board), swimsuits and any other clothes you may have forgotten. The plaza also has a big movie theatre, tons of restaurants (Dave & Busters, TGIFridays, Sweet Tomatoes, etc.). Shopping Plaza name is Oakwood and I think the town name is technically Hollywood (not Fort Lauderdale).

See if your TA can get Princess to pay for one of those hotels around Oakwood. The plaza is a great time killer & most of the htels have a free breakfast too. I've flown into and cruised out of Lauderdale about 4 - 5 times and this method really works.

Joan

I'm sure you're a seasoned cruiser that has been through the Toronto airport on many an occasion as have we. I'm not sure I would ever trust a sail date day fly in that involved the Pearson airport and Air Canada. I know if it's Princess air they have to wait for you or get you to your first port but I personally would still recommend flying in the day ahead. Just my unsolicted two cents. Happy cruising!

Yes Pearson can be crazy, but hey didn't you hear on the news Air Canada was voted #1 airline in North America!! 11 in the world -- go figure, I don't think they talked to me.

Anyways, The reason I don't take Princess Air is they usually route us via Toronto, go figure. I live in Vancouver, they make me fly all the way East and then South, usually it add 3 to 4 hours to my flight?

I always fly in day before, to get use to time change, peace of mind with getting there, bags getting there and a good night sleep (hopefully).

Plus then my vacation starts day early.

While doing some online reseach I found this information. Option 2 looks like a better deal (unless someone should tell me why I should pick Option 1).

HTL FLL FORCED OVERNIGHT HOTEL

TRANSFERS:

TRANSFERS BETWEEN AIRPORT/HOTEL AND HOTEL/

PIER MUST BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY.

PROVIDES:

LODGING, ROOM TAX AND BAGGAGE HANDLING

AT HOTEL.

** THIS VOUCHER IS VOID IF AIR HAS BEEN

CHANGED AFTER ISSUE DATE **

HTL FLL LINKED VOYAGES

HOTEL

TRANSFERS:

ALL TRANSFERS ARE PROVIDED.

PROVIDES:

AT THE HOTEL.

MEET AND ASSIST AT AIRPORT:

UPON ARRIVAL INTO THE FT. LAUDERDALE OR MIAMI AIRPORT, LOOK

CRUISES REPRESENTATIVE IN THE BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA. PLEASE DO

TAGS UNTIL BAGGAGE IS IDENTIFIED AT AIRPORT BAGGAGE CAROUSEL

REPRESENTATIVE WILL ASSIST WITH BAGGAGE COLLECTION AND MOTOR

TO HOTEL.

CHECK-IN:

YOUR PACKAGE INCLUDES ONE NIGHTS LODGING, ROOM TAX AND BAGG

AT YOUR HOTEL. CHECK-IN TIME IS 3:00 P.M. EARLIER ARRIVALS

ACCOMMODATED AS ROOMS BECOME AVAILABLE.

INFORMATION:

YOU WILL RECEIVE A WELCOME LETTER UPON CHECK-IN WHICH WILL A

THE TIMES AND PROCEDURES FOR YOUR TRANSFER TO THE SHIP ON SA

PRINCESS CRUISES FORT LAUDERDALE OFFICE PHONE NUMBER IS 954-

CHECK-OUT:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SETTLE YOUR ACCOUNT FOR INCIDENTAL CHARGE

BY PRINCESS BEFORE CHECKING OUT OF THE HOTEL.

While doing some online reseach I found this information. Option 2 looks like a better deal (unless someone should tell me why I should pick Option 1).

HTL FLL FORCED OVERNIGHT HOTEL

TRANSFERS:

TRANSFERS BETWEEN AIRPORT/HOTEL AND HOTEL/

PIER MUST BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY.

PROVIDES:

AT HOTEL.

** THIS VOUCHER IS VOID IF AIR HAS BEEN

CHANGED AFTER ISSUE DATE **

HTL FLL LINKED VOYAGES

HOTEL

TRANSFERS:

ALL TRANSFERS ARE PROVIDED.

PROVIDES:

AT THE HOTEL.

MEET AND ASSIST AT AIRPORT:

UPON ARRIVAL INTO THE FT. LAUDERDALE OR MIAMI AIRPORT, LOOK

CRUISES REPRESENTATIVE IN THE BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA. PLEASE DO

TAGS UNTIL BAGGAGE IS IDENTIFIED AT AIRPORT BAGGAGE CAROUSEL

REPRESENTATIVE WILL ASSIST WITH BAGGAGE COLLECTION AND MOTOR

TO HOTEL.

CHECK-IN:

YOUR PACKAGE INCLUDES ONE NIGHTS LODGING, ROOM TAX AND BAGG

AT YOUR HOTEL. CHECK-IN TIME IS 3:00 P.M. EARLIER ARRIVALS

ACCOMMODATED AS ROOMS BECOME AVAILABLE.

INFORMATION:

YOU WILL RECEIVE A WELCOME LETTER UPON CHECK-IN WHICH WILL A

THE TIMES AND PROCEDURES FOR YOUR TRANSFER TO THE SHIP ON SA

PRINCESS CRUISES FORT LAUDERDALE OFFICE PHONE NUMBER IS 954-

CHECK-OUT:

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SETTLE YOUR ACCOUNT FOR INCIDENTAL CHARGE

BY PRINCESS BEFORE CHECKING OUT OF THE HOTEL.

Option #2 is totally complete. Why would there be an Option #1 at all? The most important thing is what YOUR documents say. That's the final answer.

Pia

I just went through the whole invoice. So you are saying the transfer fee is not just for the transfer to the ship but includes the price of the hotel? If that is so then they were charged.

What I'm saying is, that when there is a mandatory operational overnight in Beijing (my experience; others have stated it's the same in other ports), the charge is for the hotel and transport to the ship. The transport from Beijing to the port is 1 1/2 hours. Our charge was $119/PP; someone else just stated they're paying more. We did not think the price was outrageous, inasmuch as we were to arrive in Beijing at 10:30 at night, needed a place to sleep and needed transport to ship the next day. In our case though, we were grounded in Tokyo for the night and didn't get to Beijing until the next day. So we slept in Tokyo and got lots and lots of extra perks from NWA.

Pia

We booked an Amazon cruise for April 2009. We were told the overnight was mandatory in FLL and would be at our expense. We fly charter through Princess next day. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Melody

Option #2 is totally complete. Why would there be an Option #1 at all? The most important thing is what YOUR documents say. That's the final answer.

Pia

Both options were no-cost on my end.

Option 1 was for the Feb. 3 Departure

While I was doing some online research, Options 1 & 2 were given as choices for January 20 departure....crazy, huh?

I've seen the forced overnight (option 1) but never seen a "linked" hotel. I've seen pre-cruise but you pay for the hotel and that includes the transfers. Perhaps this is in the US only?

Joan

I've seen the forced overnight (option 1) but never seen a "linked" hotel. I've seen pre-cruise but you pay for the hotel and that includes the transfers. Perhaps this is in the US only?

Joan

This is all new to me so I've never heard of a linked voyages hotel either. Maybe someone can explain this to us.

Archived