How to pay

billpitcher

We're cruising to Bermuda in a week, and I was thinking about putting the on-board charges on my debit card, but does anyone know the preauthorization amount?

We'll probably be spending less than most people -- we don't drink, and we won't be doing any organized excursions -- so I'm concerned about having $1,000 locked up for what will only amount to $300 worth of charges.

Thanks.

As to my understanding.. The way it works.. Is an initial authorization of 1 dollar to make sure the card is active.. Then every night they preauth that days charges were plus additional charges based on their system's guess of what you will spend the following day...

Although I have never done this, I understand you can prepay in cash or travelers cheques on what you expect to spend on the cruise and they will not preauth your card until you go over that amount..

I would be careful using a debit card, if it works the same way as a hotel. I used by debit card to get a hotel room but paid cash as the end of my stay. i was shocked a few days later to learn that there was still a hold on my debit card. It seems that they take their time releasing the hold. I believe a cruise ship would do the same, just in case you make last minute charges. If you go home to bills that need to be paid right away, this practice could be a problem.

Carol

Archived