Scooters?

sdear

We are doing the western caribbean in 5 weeks, and wonder if any of you have rented scooters at any of the ports.

Experiences?

Thanks !

Sue

Do you mean a scooter for roads[ or the sea type]?

If road scooter do you ride one at home?

If the answer is no then do not try riding one in the Caribbean.

Do you mean a scooter for roads[ or the sea type]?

If road scooter do you ride one at home?

If the answer is no then do not try riding one in the Caribbean.

:rolleyes: Oh dear another hot button on CC. I'd like the answer as well to the question. Minus the advice thank you!:cool:

:rolleyes: Oh dear another hot button on CC. I'd like the answer as well to the question. Minus the advice thank you!:cool:

the poster asked for advice and thats what I gave.

If you can ride a scooter or motor bike at home then try it but have you seen the state of the roads in the Caribbean? not good for an inexperience rider unlike the experienced one which my O.H . is, sorry not to be more positive but it pays to think of what can happen.

If you can ride a scooter or motor bike at home then try it but have you seen the state of the roads in the Caribbean? not good for an inexperience rider unlike the experienced one which my O.H . is, sorry not to be more positive but it pays to think of what can happen.

I guess experience and advice are not the same for me. Yes, I'm aware of Caribbean roads and the fact that scooters carry a degree of danger. That being said, I'd like to know where some may have had success with their scooter endeavors. Are some Islands better than others or some areas? I would not try it in St. Thomas in other words!

I would agree.... I have read horror stories about them in the caribbean... even with experienced riders.. its a completely different experience in the caribbean.. and the last thing you want, is an accident to ruin your vacation.

Any advise is good... the OP can choose to listen or not...

My husband and I rented one when we were in Cozumel and had a great time on it. We were able to go to several different beaches and see alot of the island. I have heard that they can be unsafe but I don't worry too much about the what ifs.

I would agree.... I have read horror stories about them in the caribbean... even with experienced riders.. its a completely different experience in the caribbean.. and the last thing you want, is an accident to ruin your vacation.

Any advise is good... the OP can choose to listen or not...

I disagree. Any advice is not good! The OP can do what he/she wants. I also wanted the answer to the question on it own merits. I bugs me when a thread is shut down or hijacked before the question can be answered. The subject was not safety or whether to ride or not to ride, it was other's experiences.

The OP shouldn't have to qualify why they want what they want, or post their credentials. If the poster had a terrible experience then that would qualify. Many threads go off topic or at the very least go in different directions than were intended, but it would be nice if the questions could answered directly first.

I am an experienced motorcyclist and still would not rent a scooter on most of the islands. When I ride here I have full riding gear on regardless of the tempurature. The last thing I want on vacation is a case of road rash. I did rent one in Bermuda along with friends that did not have any experience on any type of motorized two wheeler. Road was a little wet on sure enough one of the guys went down and left some skin on the road.

I also ride a motorcycle when home and would not rent one or a scooter in the caribbean because of the road conditions, the lack of protective riding gear and the way the local drivers drive on many of the islands. On some island, the driver are better and more courteous than on other but then there are local driving customs like driving on the other side of the road compare to NA driving which is done on the many of the English speaking islands.

Also the equipment is many times very old and not well maintained. The only time I rented a scooter was for one day while on vacation was in Cozumel. This island was fairly good, road /distance needed to travel wise and the local driver seemed not to be the terror type. I was stranded on the other side of the island from San Miguel when my rental wouldn't start no matter what I did (push start, etc.). A local kindly gave me a ride back to the rental office when he notices my distress.

I still remember once while riding the public (full size) bus in Bermuda when I saw a tourist on a scooter almost hit by our bus because he was stopping on the wrong side of the road to make a turn as our bus was going around blind intersection corner. It was only due to the skill of the bus driver that saved the scooter rider. Later the bus driver said that this situation happens to them quite often especially when the cruise ships are in port.

Kind of sorry I asked :D :eek:

I doubt I will rent one...I was just wondering if other's experiences were good or bad. Would be fun on cozumel...but it does come with some risk...and I am just not that up to risk on foreign grounds.

Just off the AOS, coming back from Orient Beach, a Police Car went racing by, as we came to the entrance to the port, saw the accident, a cruise ship passenger lying in the road, with a bent and twisted motor scooter next to him, the ambulance arrived soon after. The driving standards, and the roads, leave a lot to be desired on some of the islands.

Archived