Hair Braiding Cost

When you try to bargin with them, make sure you get a price for the WHOLE HEAD, not by braid. If the charge by the braid, they make them so tiny and then charge you a buck a braid but you have over 200. My sister and my cousin both had it done at separate times and my sister haggled with the person until she got a price for the whole head and both times it was 60 bucks (different islands, different cruises). I don't think you will get it any cheaper than that, but you can try, but definitely get the price before they start and try to charge you a per braid price.

I had my whole head braided in Coco Cay in July 07. Cost was $150. They have a book of pictures to choose from and what seemed to be standard prices for different styles. Their combs soak in sterillizer solution between uses. Apparently RCI sets some standards for braiding done on "their" island. I have waist length hair and the girl said it would take about 1 1/2 hours. It ended up taking her 3 hours! It was a lot of money but I feel she well earned it. I loved my hair!!

Some years ago, I was the office manager for three black female doctors, one of whom had just had her hair done in corn-rows. On her it looked good. We had a white female staffer, mid-50's, overweight, who had relatively short grey hair. She went on vacation to the Caribbean and came back to the office with her hair in braids. It was the silliest sight I've ever seen.

Moral of the story: Braids do not a Bo Derrick make!

Yes, by all means bring your own comb. We let our daughter have her hair braided on a land tour in Cancun and while she didn't get lice she was allergic to the solution they soaked their combs in and three days after she had her hair done her head began to break out. Chalk it up to lessons learned.

d

Also, bring some spray on sunscreen/block for your daughter's scalp once she has the braids. There will be some very pale skin exposed to the sun for the first time - I've seen some nasty burns on some kids wearing braids around the pool.

My daughter and her friend had their whole heads done at Paradise Beach 2 years ago. I think they were asking $60 that day but it was a slow day and we talked them down to $45 each. I would expect to pay a little more than that since that was 2 years ago and they may be more crowded now. They did a nice job but did not use rubberbands. They wrapped each end in foil instead. They said it would prevent the hair from breaking. I'm no expert so I don't know if that's true or not but that's what they did.

Susan

our teenage girls have had their hair braided twice on cruises, once in cozumel and once in costa maya.

you can negotiate, because they usually start at anywhere from 50-100 bucks (both girls have long hair). also, make sure the cost includes everything (beads, whatever). if there are a lot of braiders, try to get the best deal ... sure, they're upset if you try to go too low, but usually it takes less than an hour to braid, so think what they are making per hour ... at any rate, i got them to do both girls for 50 bucks once and got 30 apiece on the other try ...

both my girls did it so they could come home from spring break and impress their friends, but now both say they wouldn't do it again ... it's somewhat painful, especially to sleep ... you get sunburned on top of your head ... and it all starts to unfrazzle in a few days.

Archived