Has anyone heard if the Voyager is staying in Galveston?

I dont think even RCI has decided past the spring of 2009 when Voyager will return for another 3 1/2 months ish.

Probably a lot hinges on if Houston finishes the new port in 2008 as scheduled. No ships have signed on and the work sounds far from complete and could be running late.

Im hoping we get another RCI ship out of Houston if not Galveston full time, not this part time stuff.

I dont think even RCI has decided past the spring of 2009 when Voyager will return for another 3 1/2 months ish.

Probably a lot hinges on if Houston finishes the new port in 2008 as scheduled. No ships have signed on and the work sounds far from complete and could be running late.

Im hoping we get another RCI ship out of Houston if not Galveston full time, not this part time stuff.

I'm hoping so too, I live in Houston and I just can't bring myself to sail Carnival :p . And not having to fly to a port is the best part about it. I'd definitely cruise more if they kept a ship here year round.

The conventional wisdom is NO.........part time only for the near future.

However I never thought the Enchantment would end up in Colon, Panama either.:rolleyes: Things change quickly in this business so there is always hope.

I'm hoping so too' date=' I live in Houston and I just can't bring myself to sail Carnival :p . And not having to fly to a port is the best part about it. I'd definitely cruise more if they kept a ship here year round.

Us too. ....... I'm with Jim, one can HOPE!

Galveston is MUCH better to sail from than the new terminal. The new terminal will be fancy but it will take a LONG LONG time to sail from it to the open gulf. Overall time in ports will shrink a lot. You can kiss any thoughts of getting to 4 ports on a 7 day itinerary goodbye for any ship leaving from the new terminal. Galveston is great. In no time you are in the open gulf. 4 ports in 7 days, fantastic.

Galveston is MUCH better to sail from than the new terminal. The new terminal will be fancy but it will take a LONG LONG time to sail from it to the open gulf. Overall time in ports will shrink a lot. You can kiss any thoughts of getting to 4 ports on a 7 day itinerary goodbye for any ship leaving from the new terminal. Galveston is great. In no time you are in the open gulf. 4 ports in 7 days, fantastic.

I don't recall it taking that long leaving from Barbours Cut to sail by Galveston Island. Just about 1.5 foo-foos and I drink pretty fast at sail away. We also did 4 ports including Roatan.

Thanks for the replies....

We live just north of San Antonio and love leaving out of Galveston - it's close, we don't have to fly anywhere and incur any additional expenses prior to leaving.

I really hope that someone at RC reads these boards and see that there still is a need to keep a ship in Galveston.

I don't recall it taking that long leaving from Barbours Cut to sail by Galveston Island. Just about 1.5 foo-foos and I drink pretty fast at sail away. We also did 4 ports including Roatan.

When we did that it took a LONG time. The ship goes slow while in Galveston Bay.

I hope they bring a 4/5 day ship back to Galveston for those of us who need a little short vacation every now and then. I don't want to sail on the Ecstasy. I had enough of old Carnival ships! I'll take ANY RCCL ship though--new or old! Heck! I'd be happy with the Majesty! Send her over! :)

Just check RC for Port of Galveston - and 2009 Cruise dates showed for Voyager leaving Galveston. So I guess as of today they will still leaving from Galveston......YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!

Not exactly sure what you are saying. I don't see anything different. If you mean the 2009 sailings, they have been out since April. I've been booked for Jan 11, 2009 since then. If you see something indicating that they will remain in Galveston after the sailings already scheduled then yes...Yipppeee... as that has been speculated, but i don't see any commitment to that as yet.

Can someone tell me what is to gain by building this new port from Houston? Honestly, I don't know. We have always driven from Nothern MN to New Orleans X 3 and Galveston X2, and we have adored sailing from Galveston. What will be gained from sailing from Houston? An hour or two? No offense, but I love the ambience of Galveston....Will we find a Yaga's cafe or a quiet beach to see the sunset? Maybe we will....I have not explored Houston. After our in-laws drove though Houston to Galveston, my poor mother in law crawled out of the car and her first words were, "I need a drink..." and she only has on occasional wine :p

There are several critical elements in this decision!!!!

#1 Politicians are involved

#2 They will spend tax payers money, not their own

#3 They probably have a brother, or sister or cousin that might get one of the construction contracts or vendor supply contracts

Why wouldn't they want to build a cruise terminal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone tell me what is to gain by building this new port from Houston? Honestly, I don't know.

I sure don't know either. They can't even keep Galveston full of ships let alone Galveston + a new sparkling Houston Terminal. I think the new terminal in Houston will be a big white elephant. Let me quote from the Frommer's Cruises book I bought today (p. 422), "Ships departing from Galveston can reach the open sea in about 30 minutes, compared to several hours of lag time from the Port of Houston--which sits inland, some 50 miles to the north, on the edge of the Houston Ship Channel, above Galveston Bay."

Archived