Common courtesy

sdear

I definately know I will get flamed for this....but here I go.

I have read many posts on these boards about complaints of lack of common courtesy on the ships. I try very hard to be respectful to everyone around me.

Lately, these boards show lack of common courtesy as well. We all need to remember that people ask questions not to be jumped on, or criticized, but they come here for information. I learned so much coming to these boards, but lately I don't even bother to post in fear of the comments that will be made.

I just read two posts where the original poster asked a simple question, and it turned into a major battle. It doesnt even make it fun to come here sometimes. I can only imagine what new people must think when they find their way here, ask a question, and then it turns into mayhem.

Don't get me wrong, anyone has the right to tell about their negative, or positive experience, but don't do it in such a way to make the OP feel like they did or asked something wrong !

I have learned alot from this place....and I would like to continue to do so, but sometimes it's very disheartening to read some of these posts. It makes you not want to come here.

And I know..it's my choice....but let's just all show common courtesy .

Thanks for listening ! :)

I thought that was very nicely put. I am recently new to this board and have had great responses so far from some wonderful members, but I have seen other threads get out of control!

On a side note, i saw that your signature had "Official Member of the Manatee image.php?u=215056&type=sigpic&dateline=1176939426Search and Rescue Dive Team". I am part of two local Marine Mammal rescue organizations here in South Florida and am conducting research on manatees in Port Everglades. I was wondering about your dive team and what kind of other manatee/marine mammal activities you may be involved in.

Thanks!

Gonzo, just a little reminder of CC policy:

Spelling and Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

I thought that was very nicely put. I am recently new to this board and have had great responses so far from some wonderful members, but I have seen other threads get out of control!

On a side note, i saw that your signature had "Official Member of the Manatee image.php?u=215056&type=sigpic&dateline=1176939426Search and Rescue Dive Team". I am part of two local Marine Mammal rescure organiziations here in South Florida and am conducting research on manatees in Port Everglades. I was wondering about your dive team and what kind of other manatee/marine mammal activities you may be involved in.

Thanks!

Well it's a long story....but it had to do with a joke ....about a manatee stealing someone's cruise docs :p :eek: I am not on a "real" dive team..but I do love those mammals ! It was all in fun when one of the cruisers on our CC board didn't get his docs..but spotted a manatee in his canal...the rest is history :D

My spelling isn't the best.....been out of school way too long to remember what is "proper" and what is not somedays :p :rolleyes:

Good point; just one criticism. It is "a lot" not "alot." You wouldn't spell "a little" as "alittle" or "a whole lot" as "awholelot" would you? :)

Gonzo' date=' just a little reminder of CC policy:[/font']

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Thank you English professor.

SEE THERE????

She started this whole thread talking about being civil;

And you are the 2nd through 4th posters and you've already gone off on a silly "Pick-it-apart" TANGENT.

Go back and read what she/he so nicely wrote...... AND GET THE MESSAGE.

"....but let's just all show common courtesy .

Thanks for listening ! :) "

I have read many posts on these boards about complaints of lack of common courtesy on the ships. I try very hard to be respectful to everyone around me.

Lately, these boards show lack of common courtesy as well. We all need to remember that people ask questions not to be jumped on, or criticized, but they come here for information. I learned so much coming to these boards, but lately I don't even bother to post in fear of the comments that will be made.

I just read two posts where the original poster asked a simple question, and it turned into a major battle. It doesnt even make it fun to come here sometimes. I can only imagine what new people must think when they find their way here, ask a question, and then it turns into mayhem.

Don't get me wrong, anyone has the right to tell about their negative, or positive experience, but don't do it in such a way to make the OP feel like they did or asked something wrong !

I have learned alot from this place....and I would like to continue to do so, but sometimes it's very disheartening to read some of these posts. It makes you not want to come here.

We had this same problem on the Celebrity boards,,,some people just can't control themselves and think because we don't know who they are they can just write anything that's nasty and rude,,ignore,,,more nice people on the boards than rude ones:) ......

Gonzo -- could it be that maybe that was the type of thing she was referring to? Who cares how she typed it -- we all know what she meant.

Sdear -- couldn't agree more!

Why are you so critical of me? Please grant me a little common courtesy! :rolleyes:

For the OP, this thread is getting a little nasty already :D

The boards get heated now and again, try and roll with it or better yet, if you see something not so nice, ignore it and move on.

I do that Bob..for the most part lol...but today it irked me when I see new people coming here looking for info , only to be jumped on.

There definitely are afew insensitive people here, but at least agreatdeal of useful information is exchanged on these message boards and abunch of new friendships are formed. Overall I'd say cruise critic is aton of fun and very useful, but like anywhere, there are always asmallnumber of bad seeds.

Good point; just one criticism. It is "a lot" not "alot." You wouldn't spell "a little" as "alittle" or "a whole lot" as "awholelot" would you? :)

If I have to run spel check or grammer check I wudnt brother posting to this thred. I understod every word.

I do endeavor to accurately spell each remark I type and strive to use proper grammar but I ask myself does anyone else care.

There definitely are afew insensitive people here, but at least agreatdeal of useful information is exchanged on these message boards and abunch of new friendships are formed. Overall I'd say cruise critic is aton of fun and very useful, but like anywhere, there are always asmallnumber of bad seeds.

:D :) :)

:D :) :) Great post. Sorry for the double post.

You wouldn't believe that I was actually going to post the same exact thing today. Then I thought about it and didn't.

There have been certain posts on this board that are harsh enough for me to say, "wow, they don't seem like happy vacationers!"

Since I have never sailed on RCCL before and have just started to come to the RCCL boards (vs. Carnival or NCL), I almost stereotyped the people who sail on RCCL as "uptight".

Totally agree ! :)

I am kind of hit and miss on this board, but lately I have been coming on more since we are getting close to our cruise.

Like one of the other posters said, we have all made alot of great friends on these boards......and they are wonderful...but some need to just tone it down a tad.

I really have made some life long friends here ! :p

SEE THERE????

She started this whole thread talking about being civil;

And you are the 2nd through 4th posters and you've already gone off on a silly "Pick-it-apart" TANGENT.

Go back and read what she/he so nicely wrote...... AND GET THE MESSAGE.

As the 3rd poster you singled out, I respectfully disagree. I will always, regardless of the thread, stick up for somebody whose grammar and/or spelling are being picked on. I personally consider such criticisms in poor taste, but what really matters is that they are against CC community guidelines.

You certainly have the right to consider this uncivil or discourteous, if you so desire. But if that's the case, you might want to consider blocking me so you don't have to see me do it again. I will continue to point out that particular guideline in defense of anybody who is being criticized. :)

A new member to cc here. I have also noticed that there is sometimes a rush to judgment in posts and people making assumptions. In fact, a few times I have decided not to ask a question because I have already figured out how negative the response will be (I have never been on a cruise – we have one booked for December). However, this is not unique to cc (I am a member of several on-line communities) and it is certainly milder than some, where folks get down right nasty. The anonymity of the web seems to bring that out in people who can say things without any repercussions (and of course there are many folks who are rude to people to their face too). A little common courtesy can go a long way (but sadly there is way too little common courtesy these days).

Gonzo' date=' just a little reminder of CC policy:[/font']

Or some people's thoughts are going so fast that their fingers are a step behind, a head--ooopps "ahead" It happens to everyone.

I just read two posts where the original poster asked a simple question, and it turned into a major battle. It doesn't even make it fun to come here sometimes. I can only imagine what new people must think when they find their way here, ask a question, and then it turns into mayhem.

I've been on these boards since 2000, I had to re-register at one point in time and just started anew. Sorry to say this, but your comments aren't new and this is not a situation that has just started. Halfway down your post, I scrolled back up to see your registered date.

The situations you are describing, poor manners, being inconsiderate, rude, criticism...all that is actually better now than it was a few years ago. I've ventured onto other public message boards and it is atrocious what you read in other forums. I think the moderators here do a far better job than many other internet message boards out there.

I think you are absolutely right, people should be more courteous, I have absolutely no idea why they feel the need to be so mean spirited. Just because we are all anonymous is no reason to forget common manners. I have at times found myself in a position where I have to defend a comment I've made. People are so quick to judge, or many times assume they know what you mean and twist your statement into something it is not. The difficult thing is you cannot read tone. I always feel bad about an altercation I may have if it gets too personal, most of the time I just drop it.

These boards actually used to be a lot more funny than they are now. But the use of humor offends so many people I avoid using it. I also find I write longer posts, so my ideas aren't so misconstrued as they can be with a shorter comment.

But, cheers to all who make the effort to be nice to one another :)

Archived