Cruising newbies...

steandkass

:)

My wife (kass) and I (Steve) have just booked our first cruise on the Oceana for next september E521 Classic canaries cruise, southampton to Southampton via spain and canaries. We are taking my in laws as a Wedding anniversary treat.

We are really excited at the prospect of cruising and we have three small children, but we are slightly apprehensive about the expectation of the formal evenings and the ritual of gratuities etc.. Has anyone got any advise on what we should expect, i keep seeing and hearing stories about the expectations from the service crew (restaurant, cabin stewards etc)...

Is there anyone else going on this cruise???

We are really excited at the prospect of cruising and we have three small children, but we are slightly apprehensive about the expectation of the formal evenings and the ritual of gratuities etc.. Has anyone got any advise on what we should expect, i keep seeing and hearing stories about the expectations from the service crew (restaurant, cabin stewards etc)...
First of all, don't worry about it! You're on holiday and it's your holiday to enjoy. Don't feel you have to live up to what other people are thinking or expecting of you. The very fact that you're sensitive enough to be asking the question means that you are going to be fine, and that you won't be transgressing.

Formal evenings are basically evenings on which everyone dresses up. Most people who go on cruises with formal evenings like the occasional dressing up, so just do it and go with the flow. If you haven't already seen the dress guidelines in the brochure or elsewhere, the cruise line will remind you of them when your tickets and documents get sent to you. The ship will arrange things commensurate with a dressed-up evening - for example, this makes them good evenings for the captain's reception, for portrait photography, etc.

Tipping is equally straightforward. You just need to find out how much you're expected to tip, and whom. This will again be in the brochure and in the documents. The traditional time is the last day or evening of the cruise - but check to see whether the ship does any form of automatic tipping through the onboard account. If you go with the guidelines, you can't go wrong. If you feel uncomfortable with the idea of handing over cash tips, as many Brits and Europeans do, again don't worry about it - when you come to do it (especially in the dining room on the last evening) you'll see that everyone's doing it so you'll be in good company.

Thanks Globaliser!!

Its nice to see that the more experienced cruisers are willing to help us newbies...

I love the sea and intend on making this experience a regular one. It does appear that there are quite a few ppl who try to sail on as many different ships as possible, who really enjoy the cruises and i certainly want to experience as many as i can (after all i am only a young sprout!!!) and hope for many a happy voyage! not only for my own and my wifes experiences but to meet so many new and interesting ppl.

Happy sailing!

I am so jealous :) - there is NOTHING to compare to the WOW factor you experience as you board your first cruise!!

Just be prepared to become as hooked as the rest of us :D

No question is too minor to be asked on these boards, altough the P&O board is much less frequented than the others as P&O cruises are not widely available in the US. If you don't get an answer to your questions about the ship here, try posting on the Princess board as it was formerly the Ocean Princess

PS We're on the Oceana in Nov 2005 - keep it nice for us:)

My family cruised her as Ocean Princess in late April '01 into May '01 as she repositioned from the Carib season through the Panama Canal to Alaska for the summer. She's a 2000 build out of Genoa.

She was the HOOK! Having dissed cruise travel for many years, as a shore side traveler, I became a cruiser. Hope you enjoy her as much as we did. As a P&O ship she'll have a different crew sensibility but she's - a Fine - Terrific example of the Princess "Sun Class" as built. Few folks realize that Oceana/Ocean-Princesss/Sun Princess '95 sister was the largest cruise ship afloat from mid-1995 to 1996 (at 77 GT) as built. Kept clean, this is one of the great classes of ships ever!

We cruised her again in '02. Excellent - but Ships do take their wear. I hope that the current "Owners" don't let this beauty down.

At less than 5 years old its amazing that the (US) market would consider Oceana/O-P seasoned...

This is a Terrific ship.

NOT TO WORRY - BUT TIP

The US cruise standard is 10$/pp/pd I guess 6-7 pounds, 8-9 euro a day for ALL help; per person per day. In other words $100 per p per 7-10 days/pp not per cabin.

This cover the basics or total or restaurant and cabin steward and assistance. Europeans are used to inclusive or less regimented "service" or a variety. CAN/USd we basically budget 10% of fare , but we get MUCH BETTER Fares. Carnival Corp. staffers - HAL, Princess, will be very content with 10$ PP/PD.

Many ships now put it on your tab; budget 10% of fare; 8-10 pp per p. That's restaurant and cabin staff, little else is expected

The good news for Steandkass is that the recommended tips on P&O ships is only £3.50pp per day (US$6.30) :) Apparently it cannot be added to the shipboard account - 2 envelopes are left in cabin on the last night - half the cash goes to the cabin steward and the rest into the other envelope to be distributed among restaurant staff. We'll increase these amounts as we're used to paying the US lines recommended amounts of $10 pp per day, and would feel mean paying so much less. (I don't know whether P&O staff receive more salary in lieu of lower tips - maybe it's done that way as the tipping culture is much less in Europe than America :confused: )

My rule is that if the cruise line recommends it, that's what I'm paying (unless there's been something quite exceptional, of course - but not merely the routinely good). I would expect pay rates to allow for the recommended level of tipping, so "more" could really be "too much".

:)Thanks for the info... This is kind of what my fears where initially..:o There is a guide from P&O themselves, there is the European ethic and the Stateside ethic towards tipping. Woodofpine, Suekay and globaliser, you all have a different view on this so i guess once i have experienced the cruise i will judge for myself what and how much i will be tipping.. whether that be more or less than is generally recommended. I will tip restaurant and cabin crew for adults in my party, but dont see that i should be tipping for children.. rightly or wrongly!:eek:

Globaliser

You're right of course. We usually tip the recommended amount on US lines - have never added more. When I say we'll add more on Oceana - it'll only be if service is VERY good (and probably only £5 or so ....didn't mean I'd pay the usual $10 pp per day)

Steandkass

If you'd said that on any other board, you'd have had to don flameproof clothing by now :eek: :D

There have been many threads on this subject. I'm sitting on the fence as my children are all grown up now:) ........but one school of thought says that children make as much cabin mess as adults, still have to have their bed made up and still need to be served at dinner.

I don't know P&O guidelines on tipping for children

Suekay

Yes i do see the mindset on this subject, why not pay gratuities for children, if not more so than adults...?? its a tricky one isnt it! From the point of view of the cabin crew i would say that a tip should be applied to the cabin not each individual in it. Its like staying in a hotel, when a room tender, or room service provides you the service you give them a tip based on what they have provided you with and the quality of that service, i dont tip more just because there are more people in my party, i tip the person for what thay have done, the same as in a restaurant. So on that basis where i would tip £5 (or more) for a restaurant waiter, for reasonable service, why should i have to tip £35 for the same service, just because there are seven ppl in my party???:confused:

Maybe just a hangup from my sheltered and quiet upbringing!!!

I do so hope nobody gets offended by my view...

So on that basis where i would tip £5 (or more) for a restaurant waiter, for reasonable service, why should i have to tip £35 for the same service, just because there are seven ppl in my party???:confused:
Unfortunately, the reality is that tipping on a ship has little to do with tipping ashore, other than it consists of money handed over which is (sometimes only vaguely) connected with service rendered. Tipping on a ship is really just a way of getting the passenger to pay part or most of the crew's wages. I personally think it's objectionable, but there are a lot of tipaholics out there.

Yes..exactly.!

So on that basis... who am i to question a tradition! The paying customer thats who... :eek: oooh contraversial!

But at the end of the day i suppose i will be more than happy to pay for the service, after all, this will be my first cruise!

We took our sons, their wives and our four young grandchildren

on a P&O cruise.

We talked about tipping before we went and they were quite relaxed about the adult tip, but a little unsure as to whether they should have to tip for the children. However, it was not an issue. The children fell in love with Peter their steward who could no do enough for them. He cleared up the remnants of world war 3 every morning, pushing aside any apologies about the mess (4 to a cabin) saying no problem, leave it to me. He searched out and brought to their cabin fresh milk and baby food as required. On top of this the children were sick a few times, more mess and beds to change.

In the words of my sons, "he was a star"

They felt pleased to be able to reward him for his unstinting and friendly service.

I feel sure you will have the same experience.

Ray

... who am i to question a tradition!

Tipping is one tradition I would gladly relinquish - I wish they'd just increase the fare and be done with it. I find it embarrassing handing out envelopes like Lady Bountiful, and humiliating for the crew :(

PS Steandkass........ I'm sure you've not offended anybody:)

Aw shucks Sue, I only read this thread so that I could be offended and am now very offended that I am not.

I hate the tipping culture as well and would prefer to see £50 per person per week added to the booking price. But hey, what the heck, when in Rome (or the Caribbean or Panama Canal) .... my experience has been that the staff earn every single penny they receive in tips, they are fantastic. The cabin steward and waiters are second to none.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am another newbie and am finding this site really informative, thanks.

We have just booked our very first cruise on Oceania December 2005 and are very excited.............But there is soooo much to think about.

Does everyone take the carriers insurance, or arrange their own?

What to wear???

What to expect etc etc

Please excuse the excitement!!!

Angie x

Angie

(Had a few drinks, so am only focusing on the one question I can remember :D)

Re Insurance - both cruises, I have arranged my own - not had to claim so don't know if i made the correct choice.

However I had an accident earlier this year that resulted in a 'broken bone' and hospital stay & found it paid to shop around - one company wanted me to pay £13 to insure the arm itself (in addition to insuring the rest of me!) the company I went with just wanted to know it happened (no extra charge). Both were cheaper than that in the brochure.

Off tomorrow!!! :D :D

Karen

• 2 months later...

Dont worry too much about tipping, you will know what to do when the time comes. If you get it wrong, so what, nobody is going to keep you on board for not paying enough. They are usually given in envelopes anyway, so nobody knows how much you are giving. Just go and enjoy yourself, I am so envious, cant wait to book my next cruise. Have a really good time I know you will, everyone does.

Archived