Report - Coast Hotel Long Beach by CJW

Who is this hotel good for?

People who are sailing from Long Beach Port (Carnival)...

People who want a relaxing quiet area with marina, bays, and parks around...

People who are "balcony lovers" (best hotel balconies in the entire Long Beach / San Pedro area, as far as I'm concerned)...;)

They have a shuttle and "Park and Sail" package for those of you leaving from the Long Beach pier...

There is a general Long Beach public bus (The Passport or something) that does regular rounds to take you to downtown Long Beach if you want...

General pictures of the hotel:

2267277040079337728dmwfxs_th.jpg

2804574020079337728wbzpSy_th.jpg

2091474500079337728KGFEms_th.jpg

2148144570079337728kslTIh_th.jpg

2310195300079337728suCJOf_th.jpg

Balconies, lovely Balconies!

2403275340079337728lHveKK_th.jpg

2033250280079337728uVJJdM_th.jpg

2570612700079337728XdVWJE_th.jpg

Very roomy and spacious!:D

In the meantime, if you want to know the BEST balconies to view the Queen Mary and possibly your ship in port or arriving...

Try to request or book any rooms "ending" in these numbers...

Building 3 - 36, 37, 38

Building 2 - 21, 22, 23

Building 1 - 06, 07, 08

Building 4 - 49

Those are my personal "best guesses" based on my experience, so feel free to add any additional pictures or info if you have stayed in these rooms or different ones...

Possible views from the various balconies...

2371823480079337728RIyijf_th.jpg

First floor view...

2865165280079337728IShkLT_th.jpg

Not the best, but this is a view from a room ending in 34 in Building 3 - so the other ones I mentioned above are better!

2089056880079337728dfKxpZ_th.jpg

Example view from "the good rooms" mentioned above...

2371823480079337728RIyijf_th.jpg

Other view from a different "good room"...

CJW - you're making me want to go back there! We've stayed there twice and love the hotel and the location! Our next 2 cruises are out of San Diego so need to find a good place there to stay pre-cruise and to hold our car.

Then if you look at the photo above, here is the website to the info and menu for The Reef Restaurant, which is right about a minute or so walking distance from The Coast Hotel...

http://www.reefrestaurant.com/restaurant.html

Just in case anyone is looking for a close distance place for dinner or weekend brunch...

CJW

First I'm going to add a picture (Cuizer2's amazing arial shot) with some additional labels for the area...

(Hopefully you're okay that I took the initative here Cuizer2! I added a photo credit for you as well):D

FullSize

2299022700079337728dKGJcH_th.jpg

Oh wow! I hadn't noticed all those red signs all over the place before. :D

We are a couple from NC who are booked on the Diamond Princess for Feb, 08 round trip LAX to Hawaii. I have been told that the ship docks in Long Beach. Does anyone know that for sure and would the Coast Hotel be convenient for this dock? How far is the hotel from LAX and how much can we expect to pay to transfer from there? Thanks for all of the info you can give me.

We are a couple from NC who are booked on the Diamond Princess for Feb, 08 round trip LAX to Hawaii. I have been told that the ship docks in Long Beach. Does anyone know that for sure and would the Coast Hotel be convenient for this dock? How far is the hotel from LAX and how much can we expect to pay to transfer from there? Thanks for all of the info you can give me.

Everything I find on this cruise says Los Angeles, not Long Beach. Most likely Los Angeles refers to San Pedro.

For February the ship will be in Los Angeles on the 1st and the 16th. Well, the 1st is a Friday, and the Paradise is in port on Fridays also. Since Carnival's Long Beach port can only handle one cruise ship at a time, for February 1, 2008, the Diamond Princess will have to be in San Pedro.

Thanks Cruizer2. Tell me please where I can read more about this cruise. The thread for my particular cruise which is feb. 16, is very unlively to say the least. With the 16th being on a Sat, do you still feel it will go out of San Pedro? I don't know where to go to find out - any help you could give I would greatly appreciate.

Judy

Thanks Cruizer2. Tell me please where I can read more about this cruise. The thread for my particular cruise which is feb. 16, is very unlively to say the least. With the 16th being on a Sat, do you still feel it will go out of San Pedro? I don't know where to go to find out - any help you could give I would greatly appreciate.

Judy

Well, I checked the Princess website and it said Los Angeles. Then I tried XXXXX (it is a travel website owned by MicroSoft, but we are not allowed to ID travel agents on this board) and it said Los Angeles. Then I tried CruiseCal and it said Los Angeles.

So, I have two suggestions and I'll provide some insight.

1) Check with your roll call group.

2) If you have a travel agent, check with your travel agent.

Well, guess what. I am now going to say that I am sure it is San Pedro. Here is why (it is a link to the Princess website) ...

http://www.princess.com/ports/LAX_X.html

Note the reference to San Pedro after Los Angeles.

At any rate, here is my insight ...

1) The ONLY reason to think Princess would dock in Long Beach is because Carnival owns Princess. Otherwise, there is every reason to think Princess will dock in San Pedro.

2) Though I have heard that Princess sometimes uses the Long Beach dock, I have personally never seen it (however, I am only there about six times per year).

3) I have seen the Princess ship that would be heading to Hawaii docked in San Pedro three times (leading me to believe that is the dock they always use). Here is one of those times ...

IMG_1528.jpg

The blue outline of a ship is where the NCL Star used to be docked (I am taking the photo from the NCL Star). This photo was taken on a Saturday in mid October, 2005. Saturday is one of the days Carnival is not using the Long Beach dock.

The front of the blue outline points to the Island Princess. It left for Hawaii after we left for Mexico. The other ship is the Sapphire Princess. It is also headed to Mexico (not the same ports as the NCL Star).

4) You cruise ends on March 2, 2008. That is a Sunday. Carnival will be using its dock on Sunday. So, if you were to leave out of Long Beach, you would likely park in Long Beach. Since you could not dock in Long Beach on March 2, you would have to dock in San Pedro. Then how do you get back to your car? Princess would have to provide a bus. So, I would assume that you are going to dock in San Pedro both times. Granted, the two ports are not that far apart ...

LB-SP.jpg

Enjoy your cruise. :)

looking at finding a motel for before our cuise and after our cruise. We like to give our selves a day before we cruise.. Just in case the Illinois weather is not wanting us to leave or go home :)

Could you give me a link to this motel? What is the whole name? What kind of prices?

thanks

Archived