Carnival Victory Hits Building as it Docks

site41

If the captain and crew were competent, it shouldn't happen at all!!

My understanding is that the a pilot from the port's pilot service would have been at the helm, not the captain. They are supposed to be the experts. Could have been a mechanical issue.

I too think it's amazing that these bumps don't happen more often. While the bow damage will probably cost quite a bit to repair it may be something they can do on the next scheduled dry dock. The Coast Guard engineers will have to inspect it to see if the hull damage is worse than it looks since even a bump can weaken the hull I would imagine. They'll probably fly their own engineers in as well.

Thankfully everyone is okay and hopefully today's cruisers will get out on time...

Wow, it's gonna go out just like that? I am surprised they are committing to that already. Don't they need to do a thorough examination of the ship?

I feel the same way. I am going to call around noon to see if anything changes. If not, I will leave for the dock.

That's my understanding as well...

That's what I've always understood, too.

The coolest thing I've seen onboard is the little 1' x 1' window in the floor of the bridge where the Captain stands to steer the ship up against the dock...and how little the steering wheel is.

What about the pilot? Doesn't the ship at some point become their responsibility? Especially in a heavy traffic area?

No, the Captain remains responsible, the pilot is an "advisor". The sole exception to that is the Panama canal, where the pilot does take full command.

No, the Captain remains responsible, the pilot is an "advisor". The sole exception to that is the Panama canal, where the pilot does take full command.

Thanks, someone answered that about 10 posts up...

With the government fondness for cya red tape, I would be stunned if they let her sail without major hoop jumping. In a related matter, the NTSB is somehow keeping local recovery divers OUT of the water in Minneapolis. They are probably drug testing a thousand crew members now.

Why don't you Raleigh people take it outside. :p

Does anyone know what 1 knot of speed equates to stopping distance on a ship that big, I gotta figure it is at least a couple of football fields. It isn't hard to be coming in "a little fast", I too am surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Why don't you Raleigh people take it outside. :p

Does anyone know what 1 knot of speed equates to stopping distance on a ship that big, I gotta figure it is at least a couple of football fields. It isn't hard to be coming in "a little fast", I too am surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Maybe we will bring it to canada

[quote name='big_duck']I ain't askeered.[/quote]

I got you're back Duckie...them NC folks are wacko.:p

[QUOTE]That's why she doesn't drive my new truck. [/QUOTE]

That you know of.:p

[quote name='GoinCruisin']I told you Duck, quit inviting me to your house... your wife already hates me as it is :p LOL!!!!!![/quote]

Why would she hate ... wait ...wholesome, umm... innocent little you?:D :p

Archived