Is it reasonable to visit both Dzbilchaltun and Merida in one day?

nc_cruiser1

hdawson or anyone else... if we arranged our own transportation, is it possible to tour both Merida and Dzbilchaltun in one day? Have never been to Progresso, so I have no idea if the two are in opposite directions from Progresso, or what. Would you catch a bus to Merida, then hire a cab to Dzbilchaltun? Or go to Dzbilchaltun first?

Thanks for any advice!

NC That's exactly the way I would do it. Dzibilchaltum is only 15 miles from Merida. Plan carefully. You will want to be sure to have an english speaking taxi driver. Probably get a taxi at Calle 60 between Calle 61 and 59. I'm sure you will enjoy Merida alot. Take water, sunscreen and a hat to the ruins.

hdawson... you are a wonderful source of info for this port. We have 7.5 hours at Progresso (7:30am -3:00pm ship's time). Carnival Glory on Dec. 23rd. Maybe Merida will be decorated for Christmas??

From what I understand, it is maybe 30 minutes or so to Merida, same from there to Dzibilchaltum, and about the same from Dzb. back to port. So, we plan on about two hours total for all travel time, right? That leaves about 4 hours or so for exploring Merida, lunch and the ruins. Any suggestions on how to use the time? Is an hour enough for the ruins? Any suggestions for lunch in Merida?

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering going to Dzibilchaltun in about a week. I know it's now one of the most popular places, as far as information goes, but on the other hand, everything I have heard from those who have been say it's awesome. What is your opinion? I would LOVE to go to one of the other sites, but the travel time is too much for me. Did you swim in the cenote? I'm thinking it will be hot and the water sounds nice, but so deep and kind of creepy. Thanks for any info. you may have that will help. By the way, do you remember about how much the excursion was?

We went to Dzibilchaltun last March and really enjoyed it. You can visit the site without a guide, but I suggest you hire one at the site since the can add a lot of background and depth to what you are seeing. While there, I swam in the Cenote. It's like a small pond so its not at all scary if you have swum in lakes or ponds before (ie with fish and vegetation.) And it was a great way to cool down after visiting the ruins.

Tricktsm:

I think the taxi was $60 for the two of us and a minvan for up to 6 people was $80. The guide asked for $25. We agreed upon $20, but I believe that other Cruise Crtiic members have bargained them down to $15. There also was an admission charge of $5 or $6 per person.

You can absolutely do both Dzibilchaltun and Merida in one day. Cab for 4 is $90 for both and the driver will stay with you all day. We did this last month and had a great time. Wear a swim suit so you can swim in the cenote at the ruins and cool off. You may want to research what you want to see in Merida so you can tell the driver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be on the Elation during the week of Thanksgiving. We have 58 people traveling together. Some of us would like to see the Dzibilchaltun ruins and Merida. Are the vans avail when you get off the ship or should we call ahead? for those needing info on progreso and Merida I have found alot of info at frommers.com,yucatantoday.com, tourbymexico.com and on these message boards. the town of Merida sounds awsome with alot of historical buildings to see, I just hope we can see the ruins and town easily in the time we have.

As you leave the pier area, you will pass through a few shops. Just beyond the shops is a pick-up area where a dispatcher can arrange for a car or van for you. I do not know how many vans there are, but we ere offered either a car or waiting for more people to fill a van.

• 3 months later...

We are going in April and it sounds like taking a taxi to Dzib then to Merida is the optimum idea but I would like to find out how all of you fared. I have never been to progresso and my bf has not done alot of travelling.

Is this the plan:?

Shuttle off the pier

walk past the shops and hire english speaking taxi (should be round trip to DZ and Merida and the port $90)

Go to DZ pay $6 per person and $20 for guide (1-2 hrs)

Swim in cenote

Taxi to Merida

Find out places to stop at in Merida and have snack (1-2 hrs)

Taxi back to port and

Free shuttle on pier to ship

Is my information or planning correct? Any and all assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure you save more than an hour or two for Merida. You'll want to have time to spend in the historic area and a short trip and stroll on Paseo Montejo. Just my opinion, but as most know I've fallen in love with Merida.

A popular topic I see... we will in Progresso in 2 weeks on Elation. 9 travellers in the group and I got a price of $338 for a van to spend all day with us to Merida and Dz. Sounded pretty good but I see there is a public bus for $3 to Merida from Progresso. I like to use public transportation when it's available. Question: is there a public bus to Dz from Progresso or a bus to Dz from Merida? Has anyone taken the public bus to Merida? Is is reliable and safe? thank you for any help

I've used the public bus several times and it is reliable and safe. The bus terminal in Merida is just a three block walk from the central plaza. Not a tourist type bus and not necessarily air conditioned. Usually the windows are open. Leave the bust terminal and turn right, then 3 blocks.

• 2 months later...

You can get to the ruins by colectivo (10 pesos) or by local bus (7 pesos). Colectivos leave from the northwest corner of San Juan Park by the church. The vans arent clearly labled so if theres vans around, ask if theyre going to Dzibilchaltun. You can also take a standard bus from the AutoProgreso bus station about 2 blocks south of the main plaza on Calle 62 I believe. They drop you off at the intersection of the ruins and you have to walk another 500m to the site. The buses/colectivos arent that frequent so be prepared to wait a bit going and coming back. You can catch either transport back from the ruins from the opposite side of the street at the intersection. The Cenote is nice for swiming, good diving spots. Great to hang out for awhile on a hot day. The ruins are pretty quiet. I was there on a Saturday and I had much the place to myself.

Archived