first cruise with 2 kids on RCCL.......

scorpiomum

Hi. I have just booked a 9 night cruise on Brilliance of the Seas for 23 Nov 2007 in the Med. I am so excited but also a bit nervous about the logistics of formal nights etc. we are booked in the early dinner seating but i was wondering how it worked if we wanted the boys to have dinner with the Ocean Adventure group? my boys will be 5 and 9 and would hate the formal dinner (fussy eaters) and i have to say i am dreading it myself. we have been living in Ireland for the last 2 1/2 years and dont have formal clothes with us and would never wear them again so i really dont want the expense of buying the boys a jacket even....they would never wear it again. so any advice would be appreciated. the other question is are we likely to have many kids on board even though its during school time?

AO doesn't have the diniing option for dinner every evening, Just selected evenings. Typically during a 9 night cruise - at least twice sometimes three times. Duning with the AO staff nights USUALLY coincide with formal nights.

Dining with the AO staff nights are announced during the AO orientation session. Sign-up on most ships is the day of the event (in AO) sign up early because sometimes it does "fill up"

If you have early seating, AO generally opens for the eveing mid way through early seating. Many parents bring the kids in for early seating, order for the kids either from the kids menu or adult menu, but instructing the wait staff to bring the kid's entree when they serve the adults appitizer. The waiters will handle the kids "accelorated" dining schedule by serving them dessert (if it is ok with you) when they've finished their entrees. Between courses, one parent will bring the kids up to AO and sign them in, and then rejoin the table. Let the wait staff know and they will hold that course for that parent.

With Late seating, most parents accompany the kids to the buffett (windjammer) or other alternative eating spot for dinner. Then check the kids in to AO and go to late seating without the kids.

If you do want/need to have the kids "dressed" for dinner - don't sweat the jackets. For their ages, a dress shirt and tie will be more than most will wear. If you do want to "be prepared" shop the resale/thrift shops for jackets and other dressier clothes. You can get them cheap. The entire family can always choose to skip formal night in the dining room and do room service, windjammer, johny rockets/skyview.

There are so many school schedules, alternative schoolers, and people with families that travel outside of school vacations that there are usually some kids on just about any cruise. There will be more kids during trad school vacation times, but the AO program goes on no matter how many kids are there.

have fun!

Onessa thank you so much for your detailed reply. it really was very helpful and informative. if i lived anywhere else i would have no hesitation in buying a cheap jacket or dressy shirt but where i live in ireland we just dont have these kinds of choices. having said that, the idea of them having a AO dinner on formal nights sounds very appealing. fingers crossed that there is a few kids their age on board as i know it will make such a difference if they even find 1 friend to hang out with.

we have been living in Ireland for the last 2 1/2 years and dont have formal clothes with us and would never wear them again so i really dont want the expense of buying the boys a jacket

I'm not sure if you go to church on Sundays, but if you do, what you would dress your boys to church will be fine for formal nights on the cruise. A shirt and a tie and dress pants should be OK. You can try buying clothes off eBay and it won't be too costly.

the other question is are we likely to have many kids on board even though its during school time?

You can call RCCL and ask them how many kids are booked on your particular sailing. My guess is probably not a lot of kids, but the American Thanksgiving does fall within your 9-day cruise time frame, so you may get more kids on your cruise than other November sailings.

Archived