Newark to NYC

duchess720

I am sure there are other posts on here somewhere but I have gone through pages and pages and not finding a clear cut answer.

We just changed locations and will now be staying in Newark. We will have a shuttle to the Newark airport 24/7. My question is,

what is the best, easiest way to get into Manhattan?

Where do you end up?

Should we just get a hop on bus once we get there?

What about Ellis Island, can we get there by the bus or what is recommended?

August Wilson Theatre, evening show, how do we get back to NJ.

ok, lots of questions, but I am not good with directions and stressed with the change in location.

Where exactly are you staying in Newark? Near a PATH station? If not, getting into NYC and back will not be either cheap or terribly convenient, even if you take the airport bus, as it now lets you off and picks you up from W. 42nd Street between 8th & 9th Avenues (and I mean the street, not inside the Port Authority Bus Terminal). To get to the August Wilson Theater from there, go to 8th Avenue and go north to 52nd Street, then turn east to 245. You can get to Ellis Island by ferry from Liberty State Park (http://www.getnj.com/lsp/lspferry.shtml).

We are staying at the Days Hotel Newark Airport. They state they will shuttle us to the airport 24/7 and we can get into NYC from there.

That hotel is located in Elizabeth. Don't ask. I do not know why Newark AP is not located in Newark.

That said, ask if the shuttle will take you to the Path station. If so, that's the easiest way to get to NYC. It costs $1.50 pp each way; get a Metro Card. Even if the shuttle won't take you to Newark Penn Station for free to catch the Path, take a cab there & then go in.

I have the same question. This is our first time flying into Newark for a cruise out of Cape Liberty. We are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station in the Gateway Center. What is the quickest way to Manhattan? We want to see Chinatown, Central Park, Times Square, et. And, then, how far from the Hilton is the Cape Liberty cruise terminal? Thanks, MK

I agree with RHefley228 - getting into Manhattan from Elizabeth, NJ is not easy or cheap unless you use the path train. You can also take New Jersey Transit into Penn Station if you are near the train station, although you might have to go to a stop in New Jersey and transfer to the Path. Buses will take you into Port Authority. Make sure you know the schedules of the Path, the New Jersey Transit and the bus so you don't miss the last one back to Elizabeth.

I have the same question. This is our first time flying into Newark for a cruise out of Cape Liberty. We are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station in the Gateway Center. What is the quickest way to Manhattan? We want to see Chinatown, Central Park, Times Square, et. And, then, how far from the Hilton is the Cape Liberty cruise terminal? Thanks, MK

I am staying there tomorrow night. We are taking the NJ transit train from Penn station, Newark to Penn station, NY. It is a 20 minute train ride. We are going to see the sights in NY a day before our cruise on the Miracle.

MK -- to get to Penn Station, walk down to street level (there's an escalator to the right as you look at the check in desk.) Walk across the street. Watch out for taxi's -- viola -- you are in Penn Station.

I beleive, but am not positive, that there is a skybridge so you don't even have to go outside. :D

Newark to Bayonne is about 15-20 minutres depending on traffic.

I keep reading some say its easy to take NJ transit to get into NYC and others that say its not easy and takes a long time. I know everyone has an opinion and some are not use to trains and traffic.

Our starting point will be Newark Airport. We want to go to the WTC, Ellis Island, August Wilson Theatre at night, and anything else we can do in 2 1/2 days prior to our cruise.

How late does the bus/train run? Anyone know where we get a bus by the theatre and how we get back to Newark Airport?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I keep reading some say its easy to take NJ transit to get into NYC and others that say its not easy and takes a long time. I know everyone has an opinion and some are not use to trains and traffic.

Our starting point will be Newark Airport. We want to go to the WTC, Ellis Island, August Wilson Theatre at night, and anything else we can do in 2 1/2 days prior to our cruise.

How late does the bus/train run? Anyone know where we get a bus by the theatre and how we get back to Newark Airport?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

If you are going to be sightseeing for 2 1/2 days, is there any way you can spend one of those nights in Manhattan and skimp on something else? Spend your first night at the Days Inn then head into the city the next day dump off your luggage at your hotel, sightsee, spend the night in Manhattan, then sightsee and get on the ship?

That schlep back and forth to Elizabeth will suck the life out of you. You'll be exhausted before you even get on the ship.

Check out The Pod Hotel. Very reasonable rates.

Elizabeth and Newark are scary places.

I would of loved to stay in Manhattan and we actually had reservations there and when I check on reservations 7 months later, they had canceled them and the main problem is we were using RCI elite rewards for three FREE nights. Seems like the only place we could now use them was in Elizabeth/Newark. Its a huge mess up and we have filed a "resolution", but that is not helping me right now. Believe me, its not what we wanted to do.

Archived