On our own in Paris??????

Hi, We will be staying in Germany for 5 days before our Jewel cruise and have bought the EuroRail pass thinking we would use the last day on the ticket to do our own transportation from La Harvre to Paris and back to the ship.

We've been told on our RollCall that this is not a good idea since the French rails have sudden and often rail strikes.

I'm slightly familiar with Paris but wouldn't have a clue if there were no train options back to the ship.

Has anyone done the Le Harvre to Paris and back on their own by train. Any expierences would be really appreciated. Thank you.

We travelled through France and Germany, by EuroRail, last summer.:D

As I recall, there are two train stations in Paris.

So, make sure that you get to the correct station.

We arrived at one station and then had to take a taxi to the other station to transfer to our train.

IF you are planning on an over night train. be advised that there is not too much room in the compartments:eek: !!!

We still laugh about our over night trip; we just had enough room for our luggage and us.:)

The "cots" (beds?) are elevated. Need to use a ladder and jocking luggage to get into them. and, there is not too much head room.

Have a good trip

When traveling "on your own", you need to be prepared for any and all deviations. I was on the tube in London once when the entire system shut down because some nutcase threatened to jump on the tracks. We were stranded in the car mid-journey for a long period of time. Just be sure you have a back-up plan in a foreign country.

Thank you both so much. You've actually made me think. Obviously if there were a rail srike the only solution would be a very expensive cab ride which is something I would want to avoid at all cost beceause I'm not a big fan of French driving.

Rule about the two main Paris train stations....whatever one your at, the train you want is at the other.:) I highly recommend you do what I did. Take a cute teenage American girl who speaks halting and bad French with you. You will be amazed how quickly the young Gerdaimes speak English in that case. We got more information that way, while Dad was talking with information. :p

Anyhow, I never turn down a chance to visit Paris.

Good luck.

Heather

Just throwing out an idea:

Ever thought of renting a car, and driving the return route yourself?

We just went to Paris in May, and drove all around ourselves. We landed in Paris, drove up to Normandy area, then over to Belgium, down into Germany and then back into Paris.

We staying less than 1km from the tower, so we braved driving in Paris proper. We found driving around the Arc roundabout more of an adventure than a problem. Champs Eleyess(sp?) was a breeze, but driving around Notre Dame was tough..

Just throwing out an idea.

Archived