Spirit 7/29 - 8/4

noenre

We just got back yesterday from the 6 night Florida/Bahamas Spirit Cruise. I am absolutely exhausted and had a great time! I met RedSox1 on board, our rooms were right around the corner from one another...although he was in a Owner's Suite and we were in inside cabins-:p . I would highly recommend cabins 9207, 9203, & 9703. They were VERY large inside cabins. We were so happy when we saw the size of our rooms I almost shed a tear!

We loved the Spirit and will sail her again but absolutely not this itinerary, it was the worst! Other than Port Canaveral we were not in any one port long enough to enjoy ourselves. We felt very rushed.

The staff was absolutely wonderful and great with the kids. We had a slight issue with the waiters at Blue Lagoon not serving our kids for over 1/2 hour if we weren't there, but that was the only problem. We saw our room stewards daily and they were great.

We tried to only eat at the buffet during Non-peak hours, otherwise it was a mob scene! We enjoyed Windows a few mornings. It was nearly empty and a great place to have a relaxing breakfast! We ate at Cagney's 2X but honestly only got the reservations because my parents were in a suite and since we were eating with them, their concierge called for them. One of the restaurant managers told DH and I that they hold tables every night in the specialty restaurants just in case someone in a suite decides they want to eat there. It's true what they say-money talks! Overall the food was great and I would highly recommend the cheese cake in Cagneys (not anywhere else though, any other cheese cake we tried was horrible). We went to the Chocoholic Buffet and honestly I will skip this on the next cruise. I seems to be getting smaller and smaller and was not that great.

The shows were good and Sharbait was GREAT! Those guys are funny! Seeing my husband running around in nothing but his Boxer-briefs, with lipstick on, my bra on and holding my SIL's pocketbook was something forever etched in my mind! Definitley don't miss their shows! The broadway style shows were OK, not bad...just not as good as I have seen on other NCL ships.

Darrin, the cruise director...all I am going to say is that he needs to GO! He was by far the WORST cruise director! The captain had more personality than him and was better at engaging the crowd. By the end of the cruise I thought Darrin was just a plastic shell up there saying things to us. I wished he would stay away :D We have had some great cruise directors on our cruises and he was such a disappointment. He even rushed the games. I was looking forward to the Newlywed-Not so Newlywed Game and I swear he rushed through it. It was over so fast! I don't think the crew likes him either because anyone we spoke to about him just shook their head in agreement, laughed and told us to tell NCL.

My 3 yr old daughter LOVED Kids Crew! She told us every morning that she HAD to go! She got to have cookies with the Captain on the last day and she was so happy! The older kids would not go to the kids crew and I initially was upset with them, but they all made friends onboard and had a great time. I love the kids crew and thank them tremendously! Being able to bring my daughter their knowing she was having a great time made our vacation amazing!

Oh one last thing...it rained, a LOT!! So I didn't get as tan as I would have liked, but you know what? I don't care! We had a great time and are looking forward to cruising again! Watching the lightning storms from my parents suite balcony was absolutely amazing!

I would highly recommend the Spirit, just not this itinerary, and hopefully they get a new cruise director :eek:

You'll have a blast anyway!! We did almost the same itinerary on the Dawn, but it was a 7 nighter and we stopped in Miami. Also for some reason on the cruise on the Dawn we were on Great Stirrup Cay (which I LOVE) much longer. I guess on the Spirit we were in GSC the same amount of hours, but getting there at night and leaving the next day at 1:00 in the afternoon was disappointing. We would have loved some more time on the beach. Definitely take the tender to GSC the night you get there! We had the best time there. The band was great and we stayed until almost midnight. Just bring the bug spray and you'll be fine!

Have a great cruise!

Thanks- it's really for the kiddos, anyway... It's amazing what a great port Miami is, isn't it? I've been there lots of times, and sailed out of there before, but I never had as much fun as I did when the Spirit stopped there last year. Something about having it be a port of call during the cruise made it so much more fun.

Looking at the Spirit's 6 day itinerary, the only port in which you had a less than 6 hours to enjoy was Nassau. With a beach stop at NCL's private island later that day, and the following morning, I can't visualize wanting to do more than shop until you drop at Nassau.

Sun New York City 4:00 PM

Mon At Sea

Tue Port Canaveral 9:00 AM 7:00 PM

Wed Nassau 9:30 AM 3:00 PM

Wed Great Stirrup Cay 7:30 PM Overnight

Thu Great Stirrup Cay 1:00 PM

Fri At Sea

Sat New York City 10:00 AM

But I realize everyone wants to do different activities.....but Nassau was the shopping stop of this itinerary.

Darrin. Why is he still there. Aren't people complaining? I saw the thread for best cruise director and his name was not mentioned once, but if we started a thread "whose the worst cruise director?", I'm sure he would win by a landslide. I am leaving in 6 days (with Carla) and he annoys me already. Maybe someone should turn him onto CC so he can SEE how many people complain about him. Maybe then he would change.

Anyway, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!! Six more days! I have to start packing today, I am packing for 4 and we are going on a back to back cruise so I have a lot to get done. THANKS so much for your review.:D:):cool:;):p

You'll have a blast anyway!! We did almost the same itinerary on the Dawn, but it was a 7 nighter and we stopped in Miami. Also for some reason on the cruise on the Dawn we were on Great Stirrup Cay (which I LOVE) much longer. I guess on the Spirit we were in GSC the same amount of hours, but getting there at night and leaving the next day at 1:00 in the afternoon was disappointing. We would have loved some more time on the beach. Definitely take the tender to GSC the night you get there! We had the best time there. The band was great and we stayed until almost midnight. Just bring the bug spray and you'll be fine! Have a great cruise!

The Spirit is scheduled to be at Great Stirrup Cay for a total of 17.5 hours.

The Dawn is scheduled to be at Great Stirrup Cay for a total of 7 hours.

Sat Great Stirrup Cay 9:00 AM 4:00 PM

How can a ship at anchor at Great Stirrup Cay more than 10 hours more be less? Assuming you slept overnight for 6 to 7 hours, you should still have an additional 3 to 4 hours on the beach.

Looking at the Spirit's 6 day itinerary, the only port in which you had a less than 6 hours to enjoy was Nassau. With a beach stop at NCL's private island later that day, and the following morning, I can't visualize wanting to do more than shop until you drop at Nassau.

Sun New York City 4:00 PM

Mon At Sea

Tue Port Canaveral 9:00 AM 7:00 PM

Wed Nassau 9:30 AM 3:00 PM

Fri At Sea

Sat New York City 10:00 AM

But I realize everyone wants to do different activities.....but Nassau was the shopping stop of this itinerary.

I see what you are saying but everyone wanted a full day (daytime hours) in Great Stirrup Cay. Also, the day in Nassau was very rushed. We went to Atlantis and had a good time but were always checking the time.

Port Canaveral, we just rented a car and went to the Cocoa Beach shops and then to the beach. For me personally I would have preferred Miami as a stop only because we have done Disney a bunch of times and had no desire to go for the day. I can see though why they stop there. It is an easy way for a family to make a day trip to one of the parks with their kids. I prefer to fly to Disney when we go there and spend a few days there, on the cruise it is a lot of money to spend just for one day.

Keep in mind with those port times, you have to be back on the boat at least 1/2 hour before the boat leaves the port, so in Nassau we had to be back by 2:30. Considering that we weren't the 1st ones off the boat, our day was short.

We had a great time anyway and fully understood the itinerary when we booked, these are just my reflections on the cruise!

Thanks- it's really for the kiddos, anyway... It's amazing what a great port Miami is, isn't it? I've been there lots of times, and sailed out of there before, but I never had as much fun as I did when the Spirit stopped there last year. Something about having it be a port of call during the cruise made it so much more fun.

I agree 100%... We love Miami! It's so sad. I am looking up cruises now for DH and I next year and I just got home!

He wants to try Royal Carribean though. I am nervous about trying another line. Any thoughts?

I agree 100%... We love Miami! It's so sad. I am looking up cruises now for DH and I next year and I just got home!

He wants to try Royal Carribean though. I am nervous about trying another line. Any thoughts?

Try RCCL...you will probably like it!!! I, too just returned from the 7/29 Spirit sailing and posted my review under reviews...and I am booked for a 10/08/07 sailing with RCCL on the Enchantment...she is a beautiful ship and so far RCCL is my favorite!! Any cruise is a good cruise IMHO...haven't been on a cruise yet that I didn't enjoy!!!

Glad you had a great cruise and thank you for posting a review.

We are looking to try the Spirit in March so I am like a sponge right now; soaking up all Spirit information!

The itinerary will be different for us, but learning about the cabins, food, service, staff and activities is very helpful.:)

noenre, I don't know how old your kids were, but if any teens--what did they do on board. I am going with my 15 yo son in a few weeks.

We had one teenager, our son who is 14. 5 other kids with us too~ 11, 10, and 2 nine year olds.

None of our kids went to the Kids Activities or Kids Crew. They met other kids onboard and had a great time. My 14 yr old met 2 other boys, from Upstate NY and from Brooklyn and hung out with them the whole week. Boys are very good at meeting other boys. I think boys are less "clicky" than girls so it is easier for them to join into another group of boys on the ship. Your son will have a blast.

Try RCCL...you will probably like it!!! I, too just returned from the 7/29 Spirit sailing and posted my review under reviews...and I am booked for a 10/08/07 sailing with RCCL on the Enchantment...she is a beautiful ship and so far RCCL is my favorite!! Any cruise is a good cruise IMHO...haven't been on a cruise yet that I didn't enjoy!!!

Thanks for the info. I am going to look at RCCL cruises. We need a vacation for just the 2 of us and my mom offered to take the kids-woohoo!

Thanks for all of the info and the review! We're booked on the Spirit in June 2008, on the same itinerary. We're new to cruising and thought that this itinerary would be a good intro for us. We're traveling with our two kids, who will be 9 and 13 at the time, and our friends and their 8 year old. I'm not worried about the younger two, because they'll have each other. I am worried about my oldest, but I'm feeling better now, after reading your post, about him hooking up with some other kids his age. Did you see other older kids in the Kids Crew? Did they look like they were having fun? Is there a reason your kids didn't want to go there? Did they feel that it was too "baby-ish"? Just trying to get a read on things! Thanks!

Just came back from same cruise, and overall had a great time. 14 year old DS was always with a gang of teens, but not much for the 10 - 12 age group for 11 year old DD. Had no trouble at all getting dining reservations - 5 nights out of our 7! Just pick up a phone in the morning.

Thanks for all of the info and the review! We're booked on the Spirit in June 2008, on the same itinerary. We're new to cruising and thought that this itinerary would be a good intro for us. We're traveling with our two kids, who will be 9 and 13 at the time, and our friends and their 8 year old. I'm not worried about the younger two, because they'll have each other. I am worried about my oldest, but I'm feeling better now, after reading your post, about him hooking up with some other kids his age. Did you see other older kids in the Kids Crew? Did they look like they were having fun? Is there a reason your kids didn't want to go there? Did they feel that it was too "baby-ish"? Just trying to get a read on things! Thanks!

I didn't see other kids in the kids crew but that's only because I wasn't looking for them. I'm sure there were a lot of them! My kids wouldn't go to the kids crew for the exact reaon you said. They thought it was "baby-ish". Mind you they made this assumption having never gone at all!

They made very good friends on the ship. Much to our surprise we were eating at Cagneys on Friday night (we had struggled to get the reservation) and who do we see seated at a table near us dining on steak and apple pie?? Our 14 yr old son and his new friend! This was hysterical to us because the kids wanted nothing but Raffles and Blue Lagoon all week long!

Don't worry your kids will make friends. Our kids are already asking when we are going again!

Yes, we are in agreement regarding the cruise director, Darin Earl. What a tool. He must have been a used car salesman before he got this gig. Awful. Plastic and phoney personality. His picture says it all. Crooked smile and slicked back hair.

We just came back from the Bahamas trip 7/29 to 8/4.

noenre

Was the waiter you had trouble with in the blue lagoon some guy name of darryn or something similar. Because he was awful, not just to kids, adults too. He would walk by us eight times and make sure he didnt look at us or meet our eyes. All he had to do was say i will be with you shortly, and then when he did come up he would not smile or say hi.

Only one on the whole ship that was like that, we just started making sure we sat way on the other end so it wasnt his station.

noenre

Was the waiter you had trouble with in the blue lagoon some guy name of darryn or something similar. Because he was awful, not just to kids, adults too. He would walk by us eight times and make sure he didnt look at us or meet our eyes. All he had to do was say i will be with you shortly, and then when he did come up he would not smile or say hi.

Only one on the whole ship that was like that, we just started making sure we sat way on the other end so it wasnt his station.

I honestly don't know his name. We rarely ate at Blue Lagoon, it was the kids that were there constantly. All I know is he was from Jamaica, because DH told me that.

All of the other wait staff on the entire cruise was absolutely wonderful!

I'm very curious about the inside cabin which you said is larger. Are the lower beds able to be put together, I'm booking the Spirit and want to make sure I'm making the right decision regarding the cabin. Thanks, also how was the noise level and location of these rooms?

I'm very curious about the inside cabin which you said is larger. Are the lower beds able to be put together, I'm booking the Spirit and want to make sure I'm making the right decision regarding the cabin. Thanks, also how was the noise level and location of these rooms?

Yes we put the 2 lower beds together. Our rooms were aft cabins, in the extreme rear of the ship. It was a little noisy but we didn't mind. The bed actually trembled a little from the engines which helped my 3 yr old daughter sleep amazingly well!!

I would definitely recommend these cabins to anyone booking an inside cabin. The size difference was amazing! You can actually walk around in these rooms (if you keep the beds as twins).The room across the hall from us was the same size as well but I don't remember that cabin #.

Have fun planning your cruise!

Archived