How To Go On As Many Cruises As Possible?

Nathan1990

Hey guys,

Im new here, and LOVE cruises! Im 17, and am addicited to cruises. I google videos, pictures, i search throught hundreds of files of information a day, im constantly on websites, picking out ships id want to go on, and i even pick out dates and shore excursions i want to go on.... but im not even going on them :o Im that in love!

I went on one with 8 members of my family/close freinds on December 26th 2004 until January 3rd 2005. It was BY FAR the FUNNEST thing i have ever done, and ever since i have been hooked! It was Carnival's Elation, and we visited Cozumel Mexico (went to Chankanaab beach), Progreso (visited Chitza Inu Maya Ruins, i think it was), and Belize (we went snorkeling on a small island with 8 palm trees. :D It was just amazing the whole trip!

My dad and step mom constantly go on cruises without me :( I live with my mom and step dad, so they don't take me with them. Mind you it's my step mom who goes on them a lot, as she has a lot of money. We are very close, and i don't get why they don't take me to be honest lol. Anyways! I have been pestering them to take me on another cruise... so FINALLY my dad cracked and last week said he will try to take us (my family) on a trip THIS CHRISTMAS BREAK!!!!! :D Im so excited, and am HOPING to god they will take us on another cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My step mom LOVES cruises and balcony rooms, so she will probably want to go on one, therefore bribing/making my dad let me and my brother (whos out of College now) all go on another one (cruise)!

Anyways, thats just some history about me... The reason i posted this thread was to ask how you all can afford so many cruises?!?! I saw a thread a while ago on her about it, but i want to ask again and get some new responses (for those who missed the other thread) ;) . I also would like tips to be able to afford, and ways to plan on going on as many cruises a year as possible :p I plan on being a Landscape Architect, and am just going into grade 12 of highschool in this upcoming year. So by the time i get out of hs, and am done Univeristy or College... it will probably be at least 5 years (1 year hs, guessing 4 for uni).

I don't need a really good car, or a massive home... and im a basic person. I save my money, and hardly spend it on things. I do however have many pets that take up most of the money i do spend (for food, toys, cages e.t.c.) and i have been riding horses my whole life. The reason i told you this was to show my other things in my life that will take up money. For example when im older, i want to keep my pets, but still go on cruises.

*wow im rambling on, sorry*

Anyways... do you guys reccomend me getting a finiancial planner to help me budget my income as i get older? To have enough for daily living, but still put some away, mostly for cruises? hehe or what? Also, what are some tips you can give me about saving money? Do you book early? Last minute? e.t.c. These are all things im interested in getting advice on.

Thanks so much guys, i can't wait to hear some tips to afford as many cruises as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nathan

Unless you win the lottery, you need to save money and plan for all the things in your life including a cruise. You could buy a large glass bottle and start putting only pennies, or dimes or an occasional dollar in it to save for your cruise. (Been to Niagra Falls recently, I know you don't have paper $1.00 bills). Planning is essential in all parts of life. You don't necessarily need a financial planner, just talk to a bank employee about your money. Tell them what you want to save and how you plan on making the money you will save. We heard that food in Niagra was expensive. And it was. So instead of staying for many days, we crammed it all into 2 days. We did everything we wanted to do and saw everything we wanted to see. We paid almost as much for food as we did for lodging. Message boards online for everything are one of the greatest things the internet can provide. We asked tons of questions and learned what we needed to know.

My son started writing reviews about cruise ships from a teen perspective when he was 14 years old, like what there was to do on different ships for the teen age group. Many parents wanted to know what there was to do for that age group, it was helpful for them to read advice on it. He posted his writing on another cruise forumn board and soon was earning money for his reviews and finally at the age of 18 was hired by Carnival to be a social host in their club O2 and has now lived on a cruise ship for over a year. He took his passion and made it into a job. He is now leaving to pursue a degree in Resort management so that he can go back and work at a higher level. So my advice is follow your passion .make money at what you enjoy doing, look for jobs that allow you to do what you enjoy.

Thanks guys,

I really want to have a debt-free life as possible. Regardless, im going to go see a bank once out of university, am sitting down with a banker, and dicussing ways to balance my income with my hobbies (pets, and cruises) yet with daily life aswell.

Where do you go to get help? Like i see on TV people in larrrge amounts of debt, call someone... who comes and gives them tips/exercises to get out of debt. They say cash is better to us, and stay to a strict budget of say $100 a week for food, $200 for gas/car, $50 for clothes, then $100 for other. Thats $450 a week, times 4 is... $1800 a month, plus housing and other things. Thats just a random example i just maid up, but do you know what i mean? I would like suing cash, it's better to see how im spending and i will be able to save and know how much money i have... Is that a banker who i should see? Or a financial planner? Or what? lol Thanks,

Nathan :)

Thanks for the tip Dave!

I heard about that, and my family talked about it a while ago. People make so much money that way, well i guess save, not make. I heard something like if you start at age 16, and save 10% of your income... you will have about a million dollars come retirment!!! I could go on as many cruises as i'd want then. I have actually thought of living out my retirement on a cruise. Book and go on a new one every week... lol how sweet would that be!

Does anyone on here do that? Afford to go away, or save money by saving 10% of your income?

Nathan :)

Personal finance is one of my favorite topics!!! :p Don't go to a banker. They're all about selling their products, which don't have a very good rate of return. Put your savings in something like ing.com, which pays a lot more. CDs a little more than that - they have those at ing.com too. Mutual funds eventually - pay even more!!!

The best thing is to live debt free. Don't EVER buy something you can't pay cash for. You can most likely save more than 10%, esp if you start while you're young. Live waaaay beneath your means. Listen to Dave Ramsey - you can listen on the radio or online or download podcasts.

Believe me, going on a PAID for cruise is REALLY sweet!! I'm trying to teach my kids while they're young. They and you will be so well-off by beginning young! Good luck to you!!!

I don't mean to sound condescending, so I hope you don't take it that way, but you really only need to see a banker or a financial planner when you have some actual finances that need to be properly allocated. If you have no savings they're not going to be able to say anything other than to get a job and then save as much as possible.

Have you thought about asking your SM about taking you on more cruises? Perhaps you can suggest that you be put in an inside cabin if taking you is an expense issue. I realize balconies are far superior, but I liken it to my husband and I attending events - we like to go to a LOT of live events (rock concerts, musicals, plays, etc) so we'd rather go to ten events at $25 each and sit in the back instead of buying $250 tickets to sit in the front only once. Same with cruising - we'd rather take an inside cabin and go on a longer cruise to destinations we like, rather than a balcony room on a 4-nt cruise out of our home city.

If you really want to make cruising part of your life - or anything else for that matter - just set it a priority and when you start earning money put aside a certain amount for that first and then spend the remainder, rather than vice versa.

Good luck, and enjoy your next cruise. :)

Have you thought about working on a cruise ship?? Then you can cruise all the time and earn money..

I worked on Carnival in the kid's club; it was a blast! If you get a job with the cruise staff you will have more privileges than others; you get to walk around the ship when off you can see the shows or eat pool side.. Some jobs you must stay in the crew area when off. I even had time to get off a a port or two.

You are young ;go for it!!!

Educate yourself on finances.

Make your priority education for now and setting yourself up for a good steady income to be able to provide for your family to include fun vacations and cruises in the future. You like the simple things but most likely when you marry your wife may feel a little different.

Save as much as you can when able.

As far as cruises you said money was no concern then try to have them get you an inside room as the previous poster has said where they can still have time to themselves and you have your privacy.

The deals are out there just need to watch for them.

I wish I had started cruising years ago.

Nathan you sound like a nice young man and I wish you the best.

Keep your priorities straight next yr and in college and you will do fine.

Post on the main sites whether it be Carnival or others and you will get plenty more input I bet too.

Good luck... Laura

I save money for my cruises by putting $200 away each pay-check and all of my income from any extra work I get. I then cruise in the lowest category -- inside cabins -- and I cruise on the regular itineraries, not the exotic ones. I do lots of crossings on Cunard and lots of Caribbean cruises on HAL.

I , first of all you got started young thats great you will need to work hard and have a vacation club that helps you save money, then choose inside cabins and sail on the lowest price cruises of your favorate cruise lines rccl have 3-to 5 day cruises that will get you out there !! for less dont spend alot on excursions it is really all about being on the ship anyway !!! REMEMBER LIVE TO CRUISE AND CRUISE TO REAY LIVE!!! AND CONSIDER A CAREER AS A TRAVEL AGENT

Archived