Rewards Point question

Hello all....

My husband and I have accumulated enough Royal Rewards points for a free cruise. To date we have not redeemed any points so we have yet to use the system. Reading through the "fine print" it doesn't seem hard - call to redeem points for a certificate, book the cruise and mail in the certificate.

My question is this....is it really that easy? Has anyone else out there redeemed for a free cruise? Maybe I'm a bit skeptical, but I can't help but wonder where the catch is. Has anyone encountered any problems with the program - blackout dates other than stated holidays, getting bumped from the cruise, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info, help, and/or suggestions!! :)

Buddy, we have been with RCL and their VISA card for several years. Never have had a problem. We have redeemed points for many different options. Again, never a problem. Call the number on the back of your credit card. If you don't, or can't understand the remote phone system, punch "O", one or, more times if necessary, you will get a live person to talk with.

They have been very understanding and courteous with us. And they will help you with your request. DON'T hesitate to ask them ANY questions.

Welcome aboard.

Rick and Deirdra

I have redeemed points for the free 7 day caribbean cruise for 2, this past june. Not a problem at all. Just call , get the voucher ( tell them how many points you want to redeem and for what) , you will get the certificate in about 10 days ( make a copy of it) mail it in , or give to your TA, and you are set. Just remember the point system changed in June 2007, so you need to redeem more points now for the free cruise. Enjoy your cruise, you earned it!

Am taking a cruise w/ a free companion this Friday and will take a "free" cruise next March (really turns out to be a $1,948 credit for 2 of us). Not that difficult--I booked through a TA and sent in coupon through TA. Only caveat I will add is to be mindful fo the "new" required point totals, following the ambush June 1st increase that inspired am impassioned thread or two.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Glad to hear it is as simple as it seems. I've been looking at more cruises - I was aware of the changes in levels - and a bit disappointed. We were originally aiming for the free 7 day Caribbean for two. Now we need to decide whether to go for the free 4 day Bahamas instead on the Sovereign, which I see has mixed reviews for quality.....or pay a little and get either the free companion fare or an upgrade. We want to use the points within the next few months before they begin to expire. Decisions, decisions....

I've always taken 7 day cruises before.....has anyone out there taken both 7 day and 4 day? Are the 4 day cruises even worth the time? Can't help but feel that we would be leaving as soon as we arrive....

Thanks everyone for your responses. Glad to hear it is as simple as it seems. I've been looking at more cruises - I was aware of the changes in levels - and a bit disappointed. We were originally aiming for the free 7 day Caribbean for two. Now we need to decide whether to go for the free 4 day Bahamas instead on the Sovereign, which I see has mixed reviews for quality.....or pay a little and get either the free companion fare or an upgrade. We want to use the points within the next few months before they begin to expire. Decisions, decisions....

I've always taken 7 day cruises before.....has anyone out there taken both 7 day and 4 day? Are the 4 day cruises even worth the time? Can't help but feel that we would be leaving as soon as we arrive....

we've done both week long cruises and 4 night cruises. Now even doing 3 nighters. Enjoyable? Sure! AS relaxing as a 7 nighter? No. Same as for a land-based vacation, say at a beach resort. Tough to recommend a course of action not knowing how long it takes you to accumulate points, or when your expirations begin--but obviously, use them before they expire.

we did a 4 nighter last fall- it did feel like it was over way too soon- the good part about a 4 nighter is boarding the ship is quick and easy- disembarkation also quick and easy- another option might be to do a 4 night and a 3 night b2b on same ship- see if the points would help you out with that- or check into the companion fare for a 7 nighter- i have not looked at the points very close since they changed them june 1- good luck with getting the most value for your points- have a great cruise

We've done 4, 5 and 7 nights. We enjoy the 7 nights but since we now have points for a free companion on a 4 day Bahamas cruise we will take it!!! We chose the Majesty over the Sovereign because we like the stop in Key West plus we heard only good things about the new refurbishment on the Majesty.

We have never had enough for the cruise, but we have for ship board credits and I always send my certificates to the address on the coupon via some sort of courier so I can track it - just in case:p . It is only a few extra bucks for the Fed Ex saver which takes about 3 days.

We've never had a problem redeeming our points. Call the number on your card and start the ball rolling. I have never heard of anyone being bumped after redeeming their points.

Good luck and have a great (free) cruise.

Ann:cool:

Well, called today and redeemed for a free 4 night Bahamas. Decided we would rather take one now with more than enough left over for another in the spring. As everyone said, it was quick and painless - the representative was nice and very helpful. Now I'm anxious to get the cruise booked! :o)

To answer the question on expiration....the points expire on a rolling basis beginning five years after they were earned. Also, in case anyone was wondering...I did ask and it was confirmed that they redeem the points on a first in-first out basis.

We are hoping to go on the Majesty as well. I like getting the extra stop in Key West as well. A few other factors make me want that ship over Sovereign too....a) no in-room safes on Sovereign b) although both have been refurbished, Majesty is more recent c) and most of all....after reading many reviews, free or not, I have no desire to contend with the "smell" that so many report on the Sovereign. So, hopefully we will be able to get a decent room booked on the Majesty.

One other question as I'm looking at the cruises, should have thought of it earlier and asked the rep while I was on the phone.....does anyone know if you can upgrade to a balcony or suite on the free cruises if you pay the price difference?

On both of our free 4-nighters (both on majesty) we were able to upgrade to any cabin on the ship by paying the difference. Both times we opted for the Superior Ocean View on deck 9 to get a little more room (157sq.ft. vs 122sq.ft.)

Archived