Port Marie?

kevdds

I'm interested in snorkeling while in Curacao and have heard that Port Marie beach is a really great place. But how do you get there, and equally important, how do you get back to the ship? Anyone have information on this place? Thanks.

Kev

Hi, Kev! We loved Playa Porto Marie. We were 2 couples who then picked up another two couples who wanted to go to the beach, so we nabbed a taxi van. He charged $10 pp each way, and, since we only wanted to spend a couple of hours at the beach, he waited for us. It's a very nice, sandy beach and the snorkeling was good. We had our own equipment, so not sure about equipment rentals. Here's the website:

http://www.playaportomari.com/

Thanks for the info. The taxi waited for you? Wow. What if we have a driver who doesn't want to wait? Is this place so remote that we'd have trouble finding a ride back to the ship? If that's the case, we may rent a car, although that sounds like quite a hassle, but much less expensive than the $80 it would cost us for the round trip.

Kev, it is about a 20 min. ride to the beach. I would negotiate the return trip when you are hiring a driver, either to wait or to come back for you at a predetermined time. It was $10pp each way, so for the two of us it was $40 total. Does your sailing have a roll call on CC? Maybe you can find others to share a car rental or a cab. That's how we got our group together.

Becki

Hi, Becki--

I found the earlier thread about this same topic that you also replied on. I'm not sure how I missed it in the first place! Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm not sure still if we'll brave the taxi or the rental car. I guess I'll just look into the rates. Sounds like everyone who rents is using Avis, so that must be the one by the pier.

Thanks again!

Kev

We wanted to do this in May, but the cab driver told us (party of 2) that the cab fare is $40 EACH way. I think the $10pp was based on the fact that there were at least 4 people in the group. We tried to get the driver to come down on the price, but he stuck to $40 and we did not go with him we just ended up going into town. We'll be going back next year and will be more prepared then.

mslaabs, I'm sure you're right about the price. We started out with a group of four, but picked up a couple more from our CC group, and since we were filling his van, I'm sure that's why the driver quoted us the $10 pp each way. That's why I suggested looking on the roll call for others that might want a beach day.

Becki

Archived