Transatlantic Barcelona - FL

janets here

If you want the morning sun on the balcony, starboard is better.

If you want the afternoon sun, port side is better.

That of course presumes the sun will be out. We've managed to hit Atlantic storms on several westbound trans-Atlantics, and not seen the sun once we were West of the Azores.

The smoothest, sunniest trans-Atlantic we have had was on the late, great Royal Princess, 3-98, Buenos Aires to Barcelona, via Rio, Recife, Dakar, Funchal, Gibraltar, and Casablanca.

This is the first time we're doing a transatlantic from Europe to Fort Lauderdale, following a southerly route. Can anyone tell me whether balcony staterooms on the portside or starboard would be better from a light/sun point of view?

Port - Left Side of Ship - Going west, sun in the morning

Starboard - Right Side of Ship - Sun in the afternoon

Since your Transatlantic is probably in the fall, Starboard might be best, but it depends on the weather. We are doing a Westbound transatlantic in the fall and we have a portside balcony. I really didn't think about the sun when I booked.

Hope this helps.

Mariel

This is the first time we're doing a transatlantic from Europe to Fort Lauderdale, following a southerly route. Can anyone tell me whether balcony staterooms on the portside or starboard would be better from a light/sun point of view?

Just noticed, after I posted, that someone else answered your post while I was typing.

Enjoy your cruise, I don't think it really matters much which side you're on, as long as you're on the ship.

Just noticed, after I posted, that someone else answered your post while I was typing.

But yours is the correct answer. Going west (more southwest, actually) from Europe, port side will get the sun in the morning and starboard in the afternoon.:D

But yours is the correct answer. Going west (more southwest, actually) from Europe, port side will get the sun in the morning and starboard in the afternoon.:D

Certainly from our experience of 7 East and 7 Westbound crossings, going Westbound you will get more hours of Sunshine on the Portside as the sun doesn't get round to the Starboard side until mid/late afternoon as most of the time you will be sailing Southwest. But whichever side you choice you will love it:) :cool:

We have found that a crossing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale gives you more un on the port side - on the starboard side you can watch the sunset

From Barcelona to FLL you are actually heading a little southwest. But then again, the fall transatlantics are happening later ever year so that the amount of daylight is less. This year the trans is in December - remember December has the shortest daylight day of the year.

We have found that a crossing from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale gives you more un on the port side - on the starboard side you can watch the sunset

From Barcelona to FLL you are actually heading a little southwest. But then again, the fall transatlantics are happening later ever year so that the amount of daylight is less. This year the trans is in December - remember December has the shortest daylight day of the year.

Thanks for this info. How does this influence the temperature then? Are we likely to have cooler weather or will summer clothes be okay??

On our last trans (middle of Nov), we wore slacks and jackets for touring in BArcelona, Villefranche, Malaga. On the crossing, as we got closer to FLL it got warmer. I would pack for spring/fall weather with just a small amount of summer shorts - the amount would depend on the actual port stops.

Archived