Just got back from Summit and Denali

matt'smom

We just got back from our 2nd trip to Ak and loved it. This time we did alot of great excursions. In Denali did a flightsee to see McKinley and worth every penny. In Juneau landed by Helicopter on Mendenhall and then did a mushers camp in PM. Skagway(2nd time there and still have not seen town) did the Tashinuk? Mountain on a Kawasaki Mule and that was a blast! ISP did whale watching. Ketichikan did Neets Bay Bear Cruise, unbelievable. Weather was amazing, no rain. Now have been in Ketichikan and have never seen rain, the locals asked us to come back every summer, it was in the 70's and sunny.

I am curious about the Neet's Bay Bear Cruise. I am leaving 8-24-07 on the Summit, and had that excursion booked until this past Sunday. I canceled that one and booked with independant in ISP. Did you see a lot of bears?

Kay c

I'll be on the 8/24 Summit cruise also and was interested in the bear excursions. Which one did you book?

CalCruizers, come on over and join our Roll Call. I am on the same ship.

Look for Roll Calls, then Celebrity Connections, then Summit then look for the one for 8/24. And don't forget to sign up for the Celebrity Connections party on board.

John

I am curious about the Neet's Bay Bear Cruise. I am leaving 8-24-07 on the Summit, and had that excursion booked until this past Sunday. I canceled that one and booked with independant in ISP. Did you see a lot of bears?

Kay C - that invitation to join our Roll Call and to sign up for the Cruise Connection party goes for you too!

It looks like we will have 40+ from cruise critic including family/friends on board.

Re: your bear question, my notes on bear excursions indicates that August for Neet's Bay is good, but the first week of September is iffy. I have heard of good reports of the independent ISP bear excursion compared with the ship one, but bear excursions are always tough unless you go to where you know the bears will be - Neets Bay, Pack Creek, Anan Creek and of course Katmai NP are sure bets in season. Otherwise nothing is guaranteed.

John

Kay c

I'll be on the 8/24 Summit cruise also and was interested in the bear excursions. Which one did you book?

I ended up booking with Keith from Teckk Outfitters and Guides. We are on the first tour of the day when we get to Hoonah. It was less $ than the cruiseship.

DH & I were in Hoonah in 2005 and went with a ship's (Summit) excursion for bear viewing and did get to see one grizzley that was hunting for salmon in a river. It was so amazing to see the bear in its natural setting. Maybe we'll get to see another one this trip.

fti--

I have signed up for the Cruise Connection Party. I do know that wildlife sightings is not a sure thing for anyone. The right place at the right time!

I ended up booking with Keith from Teckk Outfitters and Guides. We are on the first tour of the day when we get to Hoonah. It was less $ than the cruiseship.

DH & I were in Hoonah in 2005 and went with a ship's (Summit) excursion for bear viewing and did get to see one grizzley that was hunting for salmon in a river. It was so amazing to see the bear in its natural setting. Maybe we'll get to see another one this trip.

fti--

I have signed up for the Cruise Connection Party. I do know that wildlife sightings is not a sure thing for anyone. The right place at the right time!

I have signed up with Teckk for whale watching and am going in the morning with I believe his nephew. I was at Katmai NP for three days last month and saw tons of bears!

Looking forward to meeting you!

John

Archived