Best Friends 2 years apart - Adventure Ocean??

ckrobyn

Hi everyone :)

I would like to this post the following question here, on the family boards in the hope that someone can help. I added this question to another thread on the main board, but I'm thinking perhaps someone on here has had a similar experience and can shed some light.

We are travelling with my BF and her DD who is 8 years old. Our DD is 11 years old. My BF is adamant that the girls be in the same Adventure Ocean group, although I have told her it is pretty unlikely as I have heard RCI is strict regarding age groups. There is no way my 11 year old is going to drop down to be with a group of 8 year olds, so that is not an option.

Has anyone else had a similar situation, and if so, how did you resolve it? My DD has been on 4 cruises and knows and loves AO - so it isn't a problem. But this will be my BF's DD's first cruise and she doesn't know what to expect which is why I think my BF is wanting the girls to be together.

I would appreciate any and all helpful insight and perhaps some suggestions.

Thanks so much!

From what I've heard, I agree with you: it won't be allowed. Tell your friend that millions of kids cruise each year and go into the clubs without having their best friend with them. I don't know what your plans are, but you could also spend a great deal of time with the girls outside of AO so that they could be together.

My boys are taking their first cruise too and I'm not worried about putting them in different AO groups.

I would not try to get an exception to the rules as I really don't see how it will be fun for the kids to be in the same group based on the age groups for each group. I know that our children were 4 years apart and while they got along great they were in two different groups and it would have been unfair to one or the other to get them in the same group.

Let your BF know that the childrens program are wonderful that while in the program it will provide a great time for them to each meet other children their age but then before and after the program do things together with them. And when you are in port you also have the opportunity to all be together.

Keith

I thank you for your helpful suggestions :)

My BF will argue that her DD is very "mature" for her age, which is true - but I still don't think that will sway RCI into letting her into the 9-11 year old age group.

My daughter has been in AO on her own 4 times and loved it every time. She has made countless friends and still stays in touch with some of them by email.

True, the option of keeping them out of AO is there, but my DD loves the program and won't want to miss it.

Anyone else with ideas???

It might depend on when you are sailing. We sail at such slow times of the year that they do allow some flexibility in Adventure Ocean. My daughter was moved into the teen room when she was a pre-teen. My son was placed in the 9-11 group when he was only 8. When the number of kids is low the staff makes adjustments for kids of same maturity levels. When the ship is full they have to stay pretty hard lined. Otherwise PLENTY of kids want to move around for many different reasons that all seem legit to EVERY set of parents. I suggest that you approach the supervisor of Adventure Ocean as soon as possible. Plead your case and see if they will be flexible. Plan on them sticking to their guns but I have heard of plenty of others who managed to switch around.

I agree that you should stick to your guns and not try to force your DD to go down an age group. And if BF's DD doesn't want to participate but your DD does, your DD should be allowed to participate.

If BF cannot co-erse the AO staff to let her 8YO "move up", schedule events where the four of you can spend ship time together outside of AO - miniture golfing, skating, trivia, etc.

BF's DD should not have a problem. Very few of the kids know each other at the beginning of the cruise, so most of them will be in the same situation (was going to say the same "boat" but thought better of it :) ). If BF's DD does have a problem with AO, it is really their problem with which to deal -- it may be a bummer for you (you won't be able to spend as much one-on-one time with your BF), but don't let it disrupt your and your DD's vacation.

Don't mean to sound harsh in my reply, but I just got back from a week at the cabin. DH's cousin and her kids were also up next door. I had to extricate my DD from her younger cousin on several occassions. The kid is three+ years younger and VERY demanding, DD doesn't mind playing with her occassionally, but she's 11 and cousin is not yet 8 -- their interests don't always mesh and DD deserves some time alone or with other kids her age and doesn't need a "must be the center of attention" little kid with her 24/7. Everyone's needs should be considered.

Thanks Onessa, I really appreciate your honesty - and you did not sound harsh!

One of the things as a parent that I love about AO is that my DD makes so many new friends that she ends up playing with at the pool - or seeing at night in the Royal Promenade. I am a strong believer in new experiences for kids. I also know that if 2 girls who are good friends join AO together in the same grouping, they will tend to stick together and may not be that receptive to new friends....know what I mean??

Although our DD's are 2.5 years apart, they do enjoy spending time together - however I am seeing that the age span is starting to make a difference the older they get. They just have different interests, and that is completely normal.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer - and I will let ya'll know how this turns out!

Tell BF not to be such a pushy bully and let things run their course. I'm sure it will work out well for everyone, especially the ones that are not on the same cruise as her.:D :rolleyes: ;)

Tell BF not to be such a pushy bully and let things run their course. I'm sure it will work out well for everyone, especially the ones that are not on the same cruise as her.:D :rolleyes: ;)

Do I see some claws coming out? LOL! Hiss Hiss!

I know exactly what you mean ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going on Conquest in one week and i'm 13 and my bf is 10 . Her sister is a few months older than me and dont really know each other that well so I gess I kinda have the same problem but, I dont think carnvial is so strict.

I dont think you could sneek them in together but, I would say to them that they are two years apart and be truthful and mabe they will let them be in the same age group.

GOOD LUCK

romeosgirl

Most of the time the cruiselines will not allow a child to move up to another group. They have the kids' birthdates and that's how they assign the groups. And I imagine many counselors have heard endless pleads from parents insisting their kids are mature for their age. Tell your friend that there are insurance issues involved and also that if your travelling during school breaks, there should be plenty of kids in each group. I would imagine that many kids would not appreciate a much younger kid being placed in their group outside of the established divisions.

As for pre-teens (which isn't your situation, but was mentioned in another post here), I wouldn't want mine to be placed with the teens, especially if there are boys older than 15.

I opted to hold my son back in a younger group since emotional and behaviorally he IS younger, this was in 2005 and RC allowed it. Also my daughter did not want her brother in her group. She is older by five months bothe were 12 at the time. He was adopted at age 7. It worked out fine. The 9-12 group activites can be and are appropriate for an 8 yr old. The programs are more for safety such as older signing them selves in and out option. My 12-14 yr olds are not allowed to sign in and out. I think it will work for these friends if they just ask. However, usually the younger programs have more cool science structured activities and she may miss out on that stuff if she moves up???

Archived