Martial Glacier - Ushuaia

kazover40

I would very much like to take the chair lift to Martial Glacier but my DH suffers from slight Vertigo! He can cope in a cable car but we have never done chair lifts

Can anyone tell me how far off the ground the chair lift is?

OMG No way!

Infohunter thx so much for the photo! Dh didn't make his mind up, I did! He would end up a basket case for the rest of the cruise lol

I have about as much chance of getting him on that as walking on the moon!:D

Thanks, infohunter, for posting the photo--I definitely will be on it in January 2008!

kazover40, we were on the Norwegian Dawn with you in 11/05! Enjoyed meeting you! Have a great cruise!!

Hi Lynn Great to hear from you! Hope you and Sandy are both well! Give her our regards! Shame we are not on the same cruise! We are really looking forward to this one as we do all our cruises lol!

We have a Belgian friend joining us! We are going to do a Portcompass tour which sails Beagle Glen and then goes onto the Marshall Glacier. It will be just our friend and I doing the chair lift! Ron says he will stay and watch lol

Have a great cruise!

Karen & Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks infohunter for those photo links, especially the second one.

I'll be leaving from Ushuaia in January 2008 on the Marco Polo. Seems I can take the chairlift and walk to the Martial glacier from the top. Anyone done this? How much is the chairlift? Do they require local currency? Is the chairlift right in town? How far is the walk to the glacier from the chairlift embarkation?

I received this from portcompass.com They reckon they have exclusive rights to the chair lift!

Hope this helps!

Anyone interested in this tour on 15 Nov

Beagle Channel Cruise + Martial Glacier chairlift combo

Order code: YIS-BEAMG

Approx. 5 hours

US$ 69

Pricing based on minimum of 14 passengers. (Ask us about pricing if you have a smaller group.)

In case of inclement weather, the cruise through the channel will be substituted with a land tour. The Beagle Channel boat tour is a group cruise, and the land tour is private/semi-private.

Our tour combines a Beagle Channel cruise with a chairlift ride to view the Martial Glacier. The Martial Glacier chairlift is exclusive to Portcompass and not available from the cruise lines.

Departures for the 3-hour cruise are at 9.30am and 3pm daily (except Sundays, which only operates in the afternoon). We may be able to modify departure time for large groups. The Martial Glacier chairlift starts operating at 10am and closes at 6pm. Depending on your cruise ships's arrival/departure time, the Martial Glacier chairlift ride will take place either before or after the Beagle cruise.

Cruise the legendary waterways of the Beagle Channel in a classic vessel (max capacity 60pax) which features an enclosed cabin and an outside deck. As you depart Ushuaia Bay, you will cruise along the southernmost city in the world, admiring the truly stunning harbor dotted with islands and islets and set against a spectacular mountain backdrop. You will see Mt Olivia, Estancias Fique and Tunnel, Mt Escapado and the historic Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse. On your return, cruise past Isla de los Pajaro (Bird Island) and observe multiple species of birds including a large colony of cormorants. Get close to seals and sea lions as you cruise around Isla de los Lobos (Sea Wolves Island). A naturalist will provide intimate narration on the channel's wildlife and Ushuaia's history.

Either before or after the cruise, drive to up the mountains and enjoy a chairlift ride up to view the breathtaking Martial Glacier and the town of Ushuaia. Time permitting, you can stroll around the area to enjoy the pristine air and views. Bring a windbreaker and dress in multiple layers as the weather is unpredictable at the southern tip of the continent. In the event that your cruise ship's arrival time does not coincide with the Beagle cruise's sail times and the Martial Glacier's operating times, please see our other tour which substitutes the Martial Glacier chairlift with a 1.5-hour guided city tour that includes a visit to the base of the chairlift.

I tried that website [portcompass.com] and could not get into it, something about an Internal Server Error.

Hi Lyn

This is the log on address, maybe they where down

http://www.portcompass.com/index.php?FID=

I have now heard backfrom them and they seem very efficient. Holding your enquiry on line and trying to get others to do their tours, to cut down the costs.

Hi Lyn

This is the log on address, maybe they where down

http://www.portcompass.com/index.php?FID=

I have now heard backfrom them and they seem very efficient. Holding your enquiry on line and trying to get others to do their tours, to cut down the costs.

Thanks, Karen and Ron. Indeed, it was down this AM when I tried to access it. I can open it now.

Archived