Back from 14 Day Alaskan Cruise on Holland America w/ 3 year old

LAnn

I'd heard that Holland America was not a particularly kid-friendly line and that Alaska was not a great place to take kids to. But we couldn't pass up a $99.00 3rd/4th person offer. I posted the $99.00 special on this board awhile ago and said I'd report back on our trip. We sailed on the Volendam from the end of July to the beginning of August.

It was fabulous!!! Alaska was beautiful -- we saw three different glaciers, a bear and cubs, lots of bald eagles, salmon swimming upstream, beautiful wildflowers and sweeping, wild landscapes. We enjoyed a lot of hikes along beautiful trails. And the experience on the ship was wonderful! The staff was so gracious, warm and hospitable, and they really went out of their way to give my daughter special attention. Many passengers were very nice to her as well. Our daughter enjoyed dancing with us in the lounges from time to time, and actually sat quietly, transfixed, through an entire show (we were sitting right in front, so the performers really held her attention.) She also enjoyed the pool and hot tub very much.

I've been on NCL and Princess and had always hoped for towel animals, but this was the first cruise that we've actually gotten them. We were on a back to back cruise and when we switched cabins at the half-way point my daughter cried because she was afraid the man who left towel animals and chocolates in the evening would not be able to find our cabin.

The kid's club was only open from 9-12, 2-4, and 8-10, but she enjoyed her time there. It was a nice club with a very nice counselor for her age group (3-7) who did not seem burned-out like counselors I've seen on other ships.

All in all, it was a fantastic deal and a fantastic trip! I think during the summer time all the cruise lines accomodate families, and we enjoyed Holland America very much.

LeeAnn

Archived