Need Tips for Keeping Track of Teen

My daughter has given me problems on several cruises so I am just going to bring a 10 foot leash on our next cruise!

This cracked me up! As soon as I read the OP's title, a leash was my first thought!

I have cruised as a teen before, and I know everyone always says "not my kids" but you should definitely know what your kids are up to. I know what I was up to and it wasnt any good! :D

I had a 17 & 19 year old on an 11 day cruise. Here are my thoughts:

So….. while you're standing in the line at check-in (airport and ship) take that time to discreetly discuss others in any line you see, and how frail the other passengers might be, how easily they might fall off balance if bumped, etc. Don't laugh while you're talking to your teen, it's not funny. It's serious. So when he/she laughs, bring him back. Remind him/her about opening doors, flashing those eyes, being generally delightful to the older population. Things you have already taught your teens but they need a quick refresher. If your kids haven’t had the advantage of being around older folks, maybe you haven’t either, just go with the flow. People are nice for the most part. And especially so on a ship – for real J

Have the talk about how they might run across folks who have drank wayyyyy too much and are ripe to fall overboard (so don't bump them & even maybe help when it's apparently needed), those that will try to fall in bed with them (again, not funny), or will try to get them to drink with them. With your help, gentle guidance and reminders, they'll do just fine and have a ball.

Once on board, be sure to point out where the phones are (all over the place although teens don't notice since they have been plugged in for so many years) that can connect them to your room (kids can easily memorize other room #’s w/I your group too) or to staff. Show them how cruise staff are all over the place & you can approach any one to say "I'm uncomfortable with "x" right over there" or "I need someone to walk me to my cabin because "x" is following me"). But explain to your kids that not all cruise staff will understand and that they simply must go to the next one or ask for one speaking their language (or say, I need help, which all will know).

Tell your kids not to drink things they didn't see opened, or didn't see mixed (if they are having the "non-alcoholic" drink of the day, it'll be blended; they need to understand they should be watching their drinks being mixed).

We were able to use our cell phones to IM each other for free while on board some of the time (and in certain ports) whenever we had service (I recommend calling your cell provider not just once, but twice to confirm). IMing for free was great! My kids & I have actually saved several of these messages on our phones because when we look at them we can't help but remember & smile big! And we still will repeat certain messages to each other just to get a smile/laugh....like "we're meeting at "x" for dinner at 7:30" which we'll do quite often on a Fri or Sat even though we're all in different cities now. We know we'll make each other smile a certain smile that we can almost see when we hit "send".

Be sure your son/daughter knows that NO MATTER WHAT he/she is not to accompany anyone older (within reason) to their cabin w/o letting you know where they're going. But....it'll happen - they'll meet new friends and they'll want to play video's, watch movies, see the balcony, order pizza & brownies from room service, or....drink from the parent's private bar. But if you and your teen have all the talks ahead (not too far ahead....you'll have ample time in lines & on planes, in taxi's) then it'll all be just great! Make sure they know to check in every "x" number of hours. I made it a point to make sure I met the kids & if possible their parents and I found it wasn't so hard. People on cruise's love to have their kids bring someone up to introduce theirselves and the kids...on their own...also love mingling with the parents. Invite the kids to dine with you at lunch. You'll learn lots!

After our 1st of 5 days at sea (maybe day 6), I told my kids that they could entertain anytime in our cabin. I did that knowing I didn't have alcohol in the cabin and knowing my kids felt safest in their own environment. So the teen party was usually in our cabin but was also pretty darn innocent with many teens at any one time. That made me more comfortable. No neighbors ever complained and it was never a problem for me when I returned. Whereas, some of the teens, their parents were buying drinks for them and when that didn’t work (i.e., they got threatened their acct would be closed entirely), they ordered bottles to the room.

We were traveling with grand & great grand-parents, also had certain set times of the day and places where anyone of us could wander by & probably catch up with each other. That was really helpful to my kids (to us all actually). They knew that every couple hours they could stroll by "x" area and probably find someone they knew who knew where someone they were interested might be and what "the plan" for lunch or dinner was.

I think cruising with your kid(s) is a life long lesson & a memory none will forget. I'd recommend it to anyone!

A tip for keeping track of your teen? Some rope and handcuffs :D

We do not travel with teens but we might some day (granddaughters - God help me!). I have found the info here excellent. A couple of rules we would probably stipulate: do not, under any circumstances, enter someone else's cabin...stay in the public areas, do not "explore" in crew areas...do not drink or eat anything you did not get yourself....do not let your drink out of your site...do not throw anything off the ship....please, oh please, just push the elevator button for the deck you need to go to.....:)

I like the "one ship's phone" idea and the post-it notes....

While I understand that part of our job as parents is to worry;), knowing where they are every few hours or whatever you decide really only assures you they are OK at those moments-it doesn't prevent problems from occuring in between checkins. So, such connections are really for your peace of mind, not really for his protection or welfare.

I agree with trainman and the others who suggest more or less turning him loose with some reasonable guidelines and expectations. By the time the kid is 17, he has basically developed his sense of right and wrong and responsibility. Maybe the way the post -its could work is that you would leave notes where you are going to be and make it his responsibility to check in with you a few times a day. Having said all that, I would also make it clear that if he misbehaves (for example-you get a call that he is disturnbing other passengers or getting in trouble) then I would let it be known ahead of time that he would be facing detention. Give him some room and make him responsible for the consequences. On the other hand, if all goes smoothly, an appropriate reward would be in order. Maybe leniency on using the car back home etc.

As far as the military, I volunteered for the service, including a year in Vietnam, and salute all those who answer the call.

Happy Sails To You,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

One word of caution with the walkie-talkies, if the kids are in the club with the music blaring...they hear nothing. My DH and I spent a couple times during our cruise trying to look in without embarassing our son...we must of looked like stalkers!

Archived