WiFi Range on the Dawn

rustybolts

I've searched for and found a number of posts giving the procedures and pricing for getting set up for a WiFi. All very helpful. Thanks!

What I haven't seen is something showing the range of usage. Is it limited to the atrium area? Internet Cafe? All cabins? Suites only? Midship only?

I'd like to use my laptop to hold a "Live From the Dawn" blog for some fellow cruisers. But I'd like to do it from the pool deck sunning myself on a lounger with a rum punch in my hand, not at the internet cafe!!!

Can anybody tell me where they have used their laptops on the Dawn? Thanks in advance.......

Rusty

A few thoughts on this great idea.

I assume you already know that it will cost $.50- $.75 a minute. And, that even with the best connection, it is slow. Also, not unusual for a connection to break and you have to reconnect.

And, the weaker your signal getting to the wireless router onboard, it will get even slower becoming closer to dialup speeds. I would seek out a strong signal to reduce your time online. My wife loves to tell the story of watching me walk around the ship,laptop open and in my hand, looking for a 'strong' signal.

Just some thoughts.

This is where they say wireless coverage is on th Dawn

Atrium Deck 7,8,9 including jave cafe and Salsa

front office Pearly kings Blue Lagoon

Deck 12 Poolside

Library reading and game rooms

Boardrooms

Spinnaker Lounge

Gatsby's le bistro Bamboo Cigar bar and Dazzles

I was in an AB cabin they told me it would not work in the room but I learned on CC the room had an ethernet hookup.

Best thing to do to post live is type in word then just paste when youre ready its like using dial up so the minute go.

I did get a free 30 minutes when i bought a block of 250 minutes and 20 free minutes cause I Bought it the first night.

Happy Cruising

I am aware of the slow speeds and the high cost having used the systems on this and other ships. It's just that I'll be doing a live blog for the first time, I was trying to get range info. I'm thinking I'll get a package of around 250 minutes and that should cover it as long as I don't get carried away. Also, we are some sort of superduperplatinumgolddiamond Latitutes and I hear that you get extra bonus minutes for that as well as signing up the first day.

It's nice to hear that I'll at least be able to use it poolside on deck 12. I guess I'll have to get up early to get a chair there for some early morning "Live Sessions." And I've been told that storing up the posts and blowing them all out at once is the way to go. My plan is to go on CC, cut and past all the posts preceding my last one, then respond to them "in line" before I sign back on. Then I'll spend a little time each day answering questions live. With 250+bonus minutes, I should be able to spend a fair amount of time on line. I think I could spend 45 minutes on sea days and maybe 20 minutes on days in port. On our itinerary that's really only two days when I won't have much time. We get into Nassau at 1:00 pm. So we essentially have two full days at sea. Then we have a private island day that ends a little early. All in all it's like 2 1/2 port days and 4 1/2 days at sea.

Stay tuned for more late breaking "cruews news!!!"

Rusty

Archived