Chocolate Factory?

Cruzin55

When you are in Hilo, there is a very well known chocolate factory within a long, but do-able walk from the pier.

Thought I knew right where to find my quantity card, but no. There are lots of yummies, but at the moment I can't remember the name. Seems like "Royal" is in there somewhere. We usually end up with 4-5 pounds.

Other Hilo sights - macadamia factory and the coconut trail in the old hotel district.

Of course the volcano tour is the biggest treat.

We went to Big Island Candy in Hilo. If you're renting a car it's a very easy stop before returning the car as it's off the road the airport is on. If you're returning to Hilo from the volcano turn left insted of right on that road and go down about a block or two and you'll see it on your right. Can't miss it. Nice new building. You can watch them making the chocolates through a large glass wall, have free Kona coffee and of course the free chocolate samples. They also make shortbread cookies. They even have chocolate covered squid! They will give you a free sample of that at the coffee bar also. My husband tried it but I wasn't that brave.

I toured a chocolate farm on Kauai, it was really fun. We got to walk through the chocolate orchard, learn about the trees and see how the chocolate was made. Plus we got free samples of all the different types chocolates!! Yumm! We booked the tour through Kauai Discount Activities, located right out side of the pier at the Aloha Center (808 245 1770).

I also went to the chocolate factory in Hilo, more free samples. I did not take the tour, but they have a huge gift shop. yummy yummy!

Alice

Archived