December 2008 Family Cruise Opinions

Sheila56

Hello,

We are a group of 11 - ages 5 to 69. One couple, one family of 5 and one family of 4. I'm looking at RCCL Mariner of The Seas December 21, 2008. We will have one oceanview cabin, one inside quad, one inside with a connecting inside cabin for kids. The total include port fees and taxes right now is $12417.47. I have until Monday to make up my mind as the cabins are on hold. If you look at the same cruise for December 2007 right now, the beginning price is $1349.00 on one of the TA websites.

I don't what to expect to spend, but am considering this pretty seriously. We have cruised on Celebrity a lot, but I think RCCL is a great cruise for families.

Do you think there is any chance the price will drop on this cruise? I've heard Christmas is a VERY populare time. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sheila56

Hello,

We are a group of 11 - ages 5 to 69. One couple, one family of 5 and one family of 4. I'm looking at RCCL Mariner of The Seas December 21, 2008. We will have one oceanview cabin, one inside quad, one inside with a connecting inside cabin for kids. The total include port fees and taxes right now is $12417.47. I have until Monday to make up my mind as the cabins are on hold. If you look at the same cruise for December 2007 right now, the beginning price is $1349.00 on one of the TA websites.

I don't what to expect to spend, but am considering this pretty seriously. We have cruised on Celebrity a lot, but I think RCCL is a great cruise for families.

Do you think there is any chance the price will drop on this cruise? I've heard Christmas is a VERY populare time. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sheila56

I think you should book directly thru RCCL and skip the TA for right now.

Retain control of your booking until right before final payment is due and then transfer it over to the TA if (and only if) youa re going to get some perks from the TA.

This way YOU can call RCCL directly, if you see a price drop, and get the refund immediately, and not have to hassle with trying to convince your TA that you are entitled to the price drop.

We just transferred over our Rhapsody booking right before final payment was due. I was able to call up RCCL and speak with them directly about anything I wanted to, without having to use a 3rd party.

It just makes the whole process easier!

If you have a good TA stay with the TA. But let them know that you will want them to followup if you see the price goes down.

If it were me I would book now. Holiday cruises are very popular and do command a premium and it is very unlikely the price will go down. What is likely, is they will sell out sooner rather than later.

Keith

If you have a good TA stay with the TA. But let them know that you will want them to followup if you see the price goes down.

If it were me I would book now. Holiday cruises are very popular and do command a premium and it is very unlikely the price will go down. What is likely, is they will sell out sooner rather than later.

Keith

Because RCCL does not allow competitive pricing between TA's, most TA's that book RCCL cruises do not follow up on price drops for the customer.

If the price of your cruise drops that directly affects the amount of commission they make from you. Most people get the run around from a TA in regards to coupons, price drops, resident specials, etc when it comes to RCCL cruises. And, since you cannot speak with RCCL directly when a TA is handling your RCCL reservation, the TA says things like "I did speak with RCCL, they said you could not apply that coupon/were not eligable for that price drop" all in the name of not losing out on some of their commission.

Go to the RCCL boards and ask this question. There have been SO many people who have complained that the price of their cruise dropped hundreds of dollars and their TA continued to give them the run around about why RCCL said they could not have the refund, and it is always greedy TA's and lies.

Then, people realize their TA's are lying to them and decide to cancel, only to find out that there is a cancellation fee on top of everything.

Just because a TA agrees to watch your price doesnt mean they are going to do anything about it if it does drop. They can always claim to be busy and not have noticed.

Better to retain your booking and then transfer right before final payment is due.

When you have a group like that traveling during a holiday period you will need to book very early.

I know that you CANNOT book a quad cabin on a number of Princess and RCCL cruises for Dec 07.....they have already met their Coast Guard occupancy levels and although you can still book two person cabins they will not accept ANY 3 or 4 person cabin occupancies for those sailings (and we are five months out).

Another factor is getting cabins that are close to one another. If this is important you'll want to book when you'll have the most options. If you cannot secure a quad cabin I'm sure you want some of the other close together.

Good luck & enjoy.

Archived