Kayaking in Juneau

Bottlenosedolphin

My husband would love to Kayak in Juneau but I am a little worried about kayaking for an hour and a half straight. Can anyone tell me how difficult this is to do? Is it hard to keep the kayak straight (I usually go in circles :( )? Right now we have a rafting trip booked but I am afraid it will be boring. Is it true that you see a lot of wildlife and get close to the icebergs while kayaking?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!

To see icebergs, you'll need to kayak in Mendenhall Lake, but there won't be much wildlife, other than a lot of birds. If you kayak in the ocean, it's possible to see seals, porpoises, eagles and the like.

I have this slight dyslexia where I think 'right' and turn left, and even I can paddle a kayak. :p I find it very simple, and once in the boat, it feels very stable.

I assume you're considering excursions available through the ships, but I find those prices mind-boggling. I rent through Alaska Boat and Kayak and have always been very happy with them. http://www.juneaukayak.com/index.html I believe there's another company that picks you up downtown and takes you over to Douglas Island to kayak in the ocean, with views of the glacier, but I'm drawing a blank on their name.

There's also paddling a big canoe on Mendenhall Lake with a group; I've seen positive reviews on the board, while the river rafting gets an 'eh.'

Archived