Room Service tip ?

lg662

We realize that most servers out there on land do not make minimum wage and are actually taxed as though they earned a 15% tip on all of their checks

I don't think that is true. Maybe there are some restaurants that withhold taxes based on that assumption, but I don't know. As far as the IRS is concerned, though, you report actual earnings from tips and that's what you're taxed on.

I haven't seen any published guidelines regarding appropriate gratuities for room service; however, on the RCI channel in our stateroom, it CLEARLY suggested, if not recommended, tipping the delivery person. The scene included a guest giving $2 - clearly visible - to the delivery person for a tray of food.

:confused:

We are planning our first cruise and we were told that $10.00/person/day will be charged to our credit card for tips unless we ask not to have that done. I love the idea of not having to worry about tipping and am quite happy to spend 20.00 (DH and myself) for tips and will probably give a little extra on the last day to those we feel deserve it.

Are we still expected to tip seperately if we have coffee delivered to the room in the morning? Please educate me on the proper procedures for this.

:confused:

We are planning our first cruise and we were told that $10.00/person/day will be charged to our credit card for tips unless we ask not to have that done. I love the idea of not having to worry about tipping and am quite happy to spend 20.00 (DH and myself) for tips and will probably give a little extra on the last day to those we feel deserve it.

Are we still expected to tip seperately if we have coffee delivered to the room in the morning? Please educate me on the proper procedures for this.

Yes, room service is NOT included in the standard tip RCI suggests for the waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and room steward. Room service is extra. A few dollars should be fine for most things, but use your judgement. :) Have a great cruise!

Archived