Photo Books

I'm posting a link to the second of three photo books that I made with Shutterfly for our Hawaii trip in June. The "chapter" heading pages were done with digital scrapbooking templates from Smilebox. Each of the three books contains photos and a travel journal for four of the twelve days of our vacation. I've been using Shutterfly to make photo books for almost four years and have been pleased. I take TONS of photos, and making the photo books ends up being as cheap or cheaper than printing 4x6s and buying albums for them. Also, I like the option of using full-page and two-page photos. I also color-code the album covers (black for Disney, blue for cruise, burgundy for special events, tan for year-in-review books).

Here's the link to the second album....

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BaNmLNy1ZNPW

Very nice - thanks for sharing! Can you tell us more about the Smilebox templates and how to do them? Also, I am trying to figure out how to do the 2 page spreads (1 pic spread over 2 pages). I've never seen this option in Shutterfly, can you explain how you did this (pages 28 and 29).

:)

Deborah, Thanks for sharing your book. I really like it and your pictures are great.

I used Picaboo for my Alaska cruise. I wanted a custom hard cover and an at least 8.5 x 11 layout. Picaboo seems to have the most choices for page layouts, too, with a variety of text boxes and full page layouts up to collages with 34 pictures. As I had a lot of pictures I wanted to use (and didn't want to pay for a 200 page book!:eek: ), I thought this would be great. However, if you put more than 4 on a page (or the big 6 pic layout without text), the pictures seem very small. Also, I think some of the little ones seem dark, too, but maybe they are just too busy for their small size.

The software was easy to use. I edited my pictures before starting the book, but their software doesn't alter your pictures (maybe saves a small copy of it?) Unlike 'my publisher' you can't share a copy by posting a link, but you can enter people's emails so they can view it (or order it). You can use your own pictures as page backgrounds or the ones in their software, or there's a ton online you can drop & drag into the book. Also, when I signed up with them I got a coupon for 50% off my book, so I got a 42 page book for about $40. I will probably use picaboo again, but will not use the layouts with smaller shots, and may brighten my shots a bit more than I normally would.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for sharing your book. I enjoyed your photos very much.

Before I decided to go with MyPublisher.com I ordered small books from several publishers as samples and Picaboo was one of my favorites. The reason I went with MyPublisher instead of Picaboo was that the picture quality and price were both better with MyPublisher.

Deborah

Very nice - thanks for sharing! Can you tell us more about the Smilebox templates and how to do them? Also, I am trying to figure out how to do the 2 page spreads (1 pic spread over 2 pages). I've never seen this option in Shutterfly, can you explain how you did this (pages 28 and 29).

:)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. :)

This was my first time using Smilebox templates, but I was pleased. I'm going to start including them in my year-in-review books as well. You can play with their templates all you want for free. You pay only if you want the ability to save, share, and/or print your creations. Even then, it's only $3.99 a month, so very reasonable. They have some really cute designs.

My two-page spreads are (usually) two separate pictures. When I see a location, I usually have an idea ahead of time about whether I want to do a two-page spread with it. (I had killer two-page spreads of Mendenhall and Marjorie Glaciers and also Emerald Lake on our Alaska cruise!) It's possible to use one photo for a two-page spread if you have enough photo resolution to cut each side of the photo down by half without pixelating it too badly, but I prefer to take separate photos if I have the opportunity.

Anytime I think a scene would make a nice two-page spread, I'll shoot a left and right shot of the two halves of the location, trying to ensure that my camera settings are the same and that the camera is level. Try to avoid any cropping when you upload them, and then begin the tedious process of matching the two sides together in the photo book. You will have to crop out some of each photo to make them fit the pages and line up in the middle, but just make sure that you're adjusting off the same amount from each photo. It takes quite a while to get it just-so, but I've noticed that I've gotten quicker at it with practice. Fortunately, photos that match up in the online photos also match well in the printed books. When I first tried it, I was afraid that the printing may not exactly match up the way that it showed online, but it does.

They really make magnificent photos in the full-sized photo book, and I notice that I'm less inclined to use tons of bits-and-pieces photos of a location when I have one large photo that shows the details clearly. Here's a link to the third book that I just finished, if anyone wishes to see... http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BaNmLNy1ZNP0. There is a different variation of the two-page spread on pages 58-64.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. :)

They really make magnificent photos in the full-sized photo book, and I notice that I'm less inclined to use tons of bits-and-pieces photos of a location when I have one large photo that shows the details clearly. Here's a link to the third book that I just finished, if anyone wishes to see... http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BaNmLNy1ZNP0. There is a different variation of the two-page spread on pages 58-64.

Hope this makes sense!

WOW!!! I loved it. Thanks for sharing and I would love to see all you future books. Great job!!!:D

This was my first time using Smilebox templates, but I was pleased. I'm going to start including them in my year-in-review books as well. You can play with their templates all you want for free. You pay only if you want the ability to save, share, and/or print your creations. Even then, it's only $3.99 a month, so very reasonable. They have some really cute designs.

Hope this makes sense!

Beautiful thanks for sharing. Can you please provide a link to Smilebox, and again how exactly do you place them in the album? I am also working with Shutterfly on my photobooks, and I really like them, except I get exasperated sometimes by their lack of bells and whistles. Just the backgrounds and most of them are not that appropriate to the theme. Thanks.

Ok, found their website, but still curious how you use them through Shutterfly. How do you load their template on a Shutterly page? Does Shutterfly print the album for you? Very curious, because I really like their designs.

Thanks.

Ok, found their website, but still curious how you use them through Shutterfly. How do you load their template on a Shutterly page? Does Shutterfly print the album for you? Very curious, because I really like their designs.

Thanks.

When you complete the Smilebox page(s) you want, you can save them to your computer as a .JPG file by clicking the "Send, Blog or Print" button at the top of the Smilebox page. (This would be the point where it would prompt you to join or sign in if you haven't already.) Once it's saved on your computer, you just upload that .JPG to your Shutterfly in the same way that you would any other photo. Essentially, the Smilebox layout becomes a photo, and you simply drag it into a full page, one photo layout in the same way that you would add any other full-page photo to the photo book. I only used the Smilebox templates as title pages for each day, but you could use them to make a full album by just repeating this process for each page. When the book is finished, Shutterfly prints it. I hope this makes sense. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

When you complete the Smilebox page(s) you want, you can save them to your computer as a .JPG file by clicking the "Send, Blog or Print" button at the top of the Smilebox page. (This would be the point where it would prompt you to join or sign in if you haven't already.) Once it's saved on your computer, you just upload that .JPG to your Shutterfly in the same way that you would any other photo. Essentially, the Smilebox layout becomes a photo, and you simply drag it into a full page, one photo layout in the same way that you would add any other full-page photo to the photo book. I only used the Smilebox templates as title pages for each day, but you could use them to make a full album by just repeating this process for each page. When the book is finished, Shutterfly prints it. I hope this makes sense. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, I was interested in this too. Have you had any problems at all with your smilebox images not being high enough quality to come out well in your book?

Thanks, I was interested in this too. Have you had any problems at all with your smilebox images not being high enough quality to come out well in your book?

This was the first time I had used their templates, and I was a little worried before printing because (for some unknown reason) my Smilebox pages looked a bit blurry online. I printed one of the Smilebox JPGs on my home printer and it looked fine, so I went ahead and ordered the book. The Smilebox pages look fine. They're as good as the regular JPGs. Very nice quality. :)

I find that when photos are scanned and made into jpegs they always come out blurry. So I can't use old photos taken from film format.:( Anyway, lhall85917, I viewed your photo books and realized your Shutterfly books have different layout and not the usual shutterfly designs. How did you do that? I like your layouts. Did you use a special program?:confused: BTW, really beautiful photo books thanks for sharing the links.

I find that when photos are scanned and made into jpegs they always come out blurry. So I can't use old photos taken from film format.:( Anyway, lhall85917, I viewed your photo books and realized your Shutterfly books have different layout and not the usual shutterfly designs. How did you do that? I like your layouts. Did you use a special program?:confused: BTW, really beautiful photo books thanks for sharing the links.

Thanks, I really enjoy looking at everyone else's books too! I start out using PowerPoint to make my pages. You have to set it up a certain way so that the jpeg's will save big enough but once you do that you have a lot of flexibility to play with the setup. Also, you can use them in any of the photobooks - just upload as you would a regular jpeg and use them on a full-bleed page layout. I'm going to play around with Smilebox for the next book - it adds just a little more than I can do without an art/graphics background!:rolleyes:

Thanks, I really enjoy looking at everyone else's books too! I start out using PowerPoint to make my pages. You have to set it up a certain way so that the jpeg's will save big enough but once you do that you have a lot of flexibility to play with the setup. Also, you can use them in any of the photobooks - just upload as you would a regular jpeg and use them on a full-bleed page layout. I'm going to play around with Smilebox for the next book - it adds just a little more than I can do without an art/graphics background!:rolleyes:

What a great idea! A lot of people use Photoshop, but even though I'm pretty computer savvy, I have never been able to figure out anything beyond basic photo editing with that program. I'm pretty comfortable with PowerPoint though! I'll have to see what I can do with that! Thanks for sharing your secret. Your layouts were beautiful! :)

Thanks for your reply. I wish I knew how to use PowerPoint. When it comes to computer, I am a dummy.:( Just know the basic stuff. But I will enjoy your books. Please do post your future book here. I least I know how to click on a link.;) I look forward to your future photo books. :)

What a great idea! A lot of people use Photoshop, but even though I'm pretty computer savvy, I have never been able to figure out anything beyond basic photo editing with that program. I'm pretty comfortable with PowerPoint though! I'll have to see what I can do with that! Thanks for sharing your secret. Your layouts were beautiful! :)

Thanks! If you email me lhall @ cinci.rr.com I'll send you the instructions for setting up your Powerpoint. If you just leave it like it is as it starts up your image won't be large enough to import to a photo book in good quality.

I have to chime in here because you guys on this board have helped me too in deciding on a photo book following my Alaskan cruise. Here's a link to my book which should arrive early next week! I can't wait to have it in my hands!! :D

http://www.mypublisher.com/bookshelf/bookviewer.py?d=cppl%60je%3e33:946:-tq%3e2

Thanks again.

Deborah

What an absolutely wonderful keepsake from your trip. It looks like you had about 70 pages too. Just great!

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone want to make a Shutterfly photo book they are having an end of summer sale. You get $10 off your order of $30 or more and you use the promo code 30TRAVEL at check out. Just thought I'd pass this info. I know many poster may be coming back from vacation and may want to make a book of their precious memories.:)

Came across a photo book on shutterfly that someone posted of their 14 day cruise to Europe. It was a graduation gift to her daughter. It has some really nice snapshots. If anyone is interested just take a look.

Ashleys Graduation Trip 2008

By JennieL120

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDJgyatWbFi2cAtKWEWU

I just made a photo book with Shutterfly from our recent cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Since we always take too many pictures, we had 100 pages! But, we had just as many on our trip last year and it cost about the same to have all of those photos printed, buying photo pages to put them in, a notebook, etc. This photo book is MUCH nicer! I will definitely be doing photo books again for future trips.

I just made a photo book with Shutterfly from our recent cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Since we always take too many pictures, we had 100 pages! But, we had just as many on our trip last year and it cost about the same to have all of those photos printed, buying photo pages to put them in, a notebook, etc. This photo book is MUCH nicer! I will definitely be doing photo books again for future trips.

Glad to hear that you are another photo book maker. These book photo books are a wonderful idea, imho. Is there a link to you book on Shutterfly that you would like to share here so that we may view your book? Happy sailings!!:D

IMHO, photo books are definitely the way to go. We had three 100-page books for our recent Hawaii cruise, but the per-print cost was only 5 cents! The going rate for single prints is at least twice that, even with a "deal," and as you said, then you must invest in an album and extra pages. I love the really compact size as well. A photo book takes up only about 1/2 inch on my shelf whereas the traditional photo album or scrapbook takes up at least 2 inches of shelf space. You'll definitely want more...they're addictive. :)

Archived