Photo Books

Debbie, Very nicely done. You have so many beautiful photos and these books are so worth it. I like the layout with the seashells. I know you will love and enjoy this book for many years to come. Thanks for sharing with us. I can't wait for my cruise so I can make my next book. :D

BTW, Dave I have viewed you book 3 times already. Amazing!!!

Thanks and glad to know you were able to see it. It was hard narrowing the photos. Anyone want to guess how many I took? I was there for 14 days! lol.

But your right, I will have it forever. I just love these books. I used to put photos/stickers in albums. But I thought it was unprofessional in the look. I like this much better. It's cleaner.

Nicely done yourself!

It has a warm, scrap-bookish feeling to it that makes you feel happy while looking through it.

Good job!

Dave

Thanks Dave. It was fun. Just going through the photos was a chore. lol. Plus, there was 4 of us taking photos. So imagine how many photos we all had to choose from? It was nuts. Mine alone almost put me in the looney bin for the amount of photos. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

One of blurb's page formats is "Full Page" I just fit my image to a blank that was double the full page width and then cut it in half and saved it as two files. I used Photoshop Elements 6.0 to resize and compose each image to the suggested "optimal" size for each format.

Dave

Thanks for the tip! :)

Thanks Dave. It was fun. Just going through the photos was a chore. lol. Plus, there was 4 of us taking photos. So imagine how many photos we all had to choose from? It was nuts. Mine alone almost put me in the looney bin for the amount of photos. :rolleyes:

Since I had to sort through (last count) 37,000 of my cruise images, I can easily imagine.

The good news...I have another book in mind already! Working on it now!

Damn addictive hobby! :D

Dave

Since I had to sort through (last count) 37,000 of my cruise images, I can easily imagine.

Dave

Great! We love to see your work! ;):p They are fun!:D

Dave

I can't wait to view that one too. I am so looking forward to it please do share when you are all done.:)

Wow!

The book was just delivered and I have to say that I'm impressed. The binding is solid and the premium paper feels like a top-end coffee table book. They did an excellent job with the color too. I calibrate my monitor to make sure that the colors I see while editing are what I will see when the image is printed and what I saw during layout is what I see now. The resolution is excellent! On the two-page spread of Hanauma Bay it looks like a high-rez Where's Waldo with the people rendered with incredible detail.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I put the images in the gallery with the book preview if you want to see a larger version:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/book1

Top to bottom, front to back, the quality and presentation is superb! The 40+ hours I spent on choosing and sizing the photos doesn't seem as tedious as it did after I finally uploaded it.

Blurb is highly recommended!

Dave

Dave, Your book is supurb. I went through your Pbase gallery at "original size" and it shows it very well.

I am curious why you chose Blurb compared to the other photo book places. I did a family photo book for my wife for Christmas and was pleased, but always wondering if another company provided a better product with a bit more flexibility laying out pages.

Thanks,

Larry

Dave

Well, I certainly didn't have 37,000 images but still. It was over 1800 images/4 memory cards for my 14 days trip. lol. But add in 3 other people, it was crazy.

It sure is an addictive hobby. lol. But I love it.

Dave, Your book is supurb. I went through your Pbase gallery at "original size" and it shows it very well.

I am curious why you chose Blurb compared to the other photo book places. I did a family photo book for my wife for Christmas and was pleased, but always wondering if another company provided a better product with a bit more flexibility laying out pages.

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks Larry.

I looked at the assembly software from My Publisher and a few others and ended up just liking the options offered by Blurb's BookSmart. Their pricing was fair too.

I may try some others in the future, but they have my business for now.

Dave

Here is my Shutterfly Gallery site of photobooks I recently made.

http://minncruisers.shutterfly.com

Took a look at your shared site and so far very nice. I viewed you Bayfield Apple Festi...book and I really liked it. So many great photos and layout too. Makes me want to visit and travel there one day. I'll be back to view your cruise books. Aren't these photo books addictive and loads of fun? :)

By the way over at Shutterfly there is a contest regarding photo books.

http://galleryphotobookchallenge.shutterfly.com/

WHAT IS IT?

It's all about inspiration.

We're looking for Gallery photo books that will inspire our visitors to get creative and start making their own books. We think Gallery members like you are their best inspiration.

If your book is selected as one of the winners, it will receive star treatment and be seen by thousands of visitors. See below for more details.

HOW DO I ENTER?

Simply submit your photo book to the Gallery Photo Book Challenge, and it will be reviewed by a panel of Shutterfly experts.

Entry categories

1. A Year In Review (tag = PBCyir)

2. Valentine's Day (tag = PBCvalentine)

3. Everyday moments - sports, photography, pets, hobbies...whatever inspires you. (tag = PBCeveryday)

4. Holidays (tag = PBCholidays)

5. Family (tag = PBCfamily)

Entry guidelines

1. Entries must be at least 20 pages

2. Please respect Gallery guidelines when submitting your entry

3. One entry per member email address

Entry dates

January 13 through March 11, 2009.

How to enter

* POST IT.

Post your photo book to Gallery

REWARDS

Winners will be announced March 24, 2009. Please visit the Gallery Photo Book Challenge website for results.

Winning Photo Book (1 winner):

1. An exclusive interview all about you and your photo book will be posted on our storytelling blog.

2. Your winning photo book will featured twice on our Gallery home page.

3. You and your winning photo book will be featured on our Gallery home page "member spotlight" for one month.

Dave glad you received your book and are happy with the quality. I'll be checking out your link again. Please do share if you make more photo books.

Great photos, Dave and they all capture something special. It's nice to see some Vancouver (my home town) shots make your album.

It has become one of my favorite camera totin' towns. Great downtown, Gas Lamp District...just a nice place!

Glad you liked the photos.

Dave

Well, book # 2 is out there. It's sort of off-topic, but I wanted to practice some formatting.

Here's the link to a preview on my PBase site:

http://upload.pbase.com/edit_gallery/pierce324/book2

medium.jpg

Enjoy!

Comments welcome.

Dave

Every single page was WOW! You have put together a beautiful photo book that you should be proud to display for all your family and friends to see. Thanks for sharing with us too. :) You know that I do want to see all your future books too. I especially loved the places section. And the Things section was very interesting also. Two Thumbs Up!!!

• 1 month later...

Came across this travel book and thought it fits right in.

My name is Debbie Thompson Kippel. I fell in love with photography when I was 10-years-old. My passion was shooting the English countryside around my childhood home, my family and much?loved cat. Later, upon moving to the United States, I studied photography and videography during my high school and college years. I graduated from San Francisco State University with a four-year degree in Radio and Television. Today, I am a Television Producer/Editor and Photographer for Maranatha Volunteers International. My Television and photography work takes me all around the world. I also have my own wedding/portrait photography business, on the side.

I am blessed! Less

Link to this page

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/aboutme/start.sfly?alias=DebbieTK

A Mediterranean

Description:

Travel Europe | 12x12 Memory Book | Pages:99 | Posted:Mar 5,2009

Travel the Eastern Mediterranean through the pages of "A Mediterranean Voyage". Photography and design by Debbie Thompson Kippel (http://www.debbie-thompson.com)

Link to photo book in the Shutterfly Gallery:

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDBg4bNWbFq5YAZirKCe

Archived