Pearl Excursions

greatmom

I am planning a trip to Alaska on the Pearl, June 2008. I am trying to decide on excursions.

Juneau: I am planning to do the Dogsledding on Mendenhall Glacier via Helicopter.

Skagway: Yukon Territory Scenic Drive.

Ketchikan: Totem Bight and Lumberjack show.

Has anyone done these excursions and did you enjoy it. The only thing missing is a Bear site seeing excursion. Which port is best for seeing bears?

Thank You!!!

I haven't done the exact excursions, but I have done pieces. The Yukon scenic drive is wonderful. The scenery is absolutely magnificent all the way to Carcross and Emerald Lake. In order to save some money, you can get to both the lumberjack show and Totem Bight on your own. You can walk to the lumberjack show and catch the bus to Totem Bight.

We've also done just part of your excursions. The drive into the Yukon is beautiful -- make sure you print out and take along the mileage guide that Murray has put together. I loved Totem Bight, which sits right along the shoreline in Ketchikan.

As far as bears go, you may be just a little bit early. Prime bear viewing, from what I've read, tends to be more in the July/August time frame -- but I'm definitely not an expect. Here's a link to Murray's website, with information on bear sighting locations: http://www.explorenorth.com/library/nature/alaska_bear_viewing.html.

There have also been several other threads discussing this subject. Here's an example: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532381, and you can probably find more if you search.

Enjoy the Pearl! We had a wonderful time in May.

Archived