Indside or Balcony cabin for Mediterranean cruise?

ycasey66

We are planning a late October cruise to the Mediterranean, is a Balcony really worth the extra $1,000. -1,400. more?

My cruisemate makes a smaller salary and would prefer an inside cabin.

I make a slightly larger salary, but would like to splurge this one time on a balcony.

What are the pros and cons? Will it be too cold in late October for a balcony?

Thanks for all your replies.:)

We sailed on a 9 night Med cruise, inside cabin. This was one cruise where I didn't miss the balcony at all, (it was in March, not even warm enough on most days to go to the Lido deck). It was so port intensive that we were barely in the cabin. One thing that makes having an inside cabin "easier", is to be in a good location. We were on deck 8, just one floor below the lido/restaurant area, very convenient. The cabins on Carnival are nice and large (relatively speaking), and we were incredibly comfortable the entire time.

We love balconies and always get them in the carribean, hawaii, etc. I don't know if you have researched yet but many of the med ports are very industrial ports and not much to look at. Also the med port excursions are very pricey and most people like to add on a little pre or post cruise stay to get over jet lag and spend some time visiting a city like Rome or Barcelona. We are sailing Sep 10 and opted for the inside and are putting our dollars to work for us in the excursions. I just added up the other night are 12 day med with 1 night pre stay in Rome is going to run $2500 in excursions (our own shared with others not the cruiselines), taxis/bus/trains, lunches, entry fees to museums, and ship's crew tips. What I did not include is souvenirs, alcohol, spa treatments, or photos and anything extra on the ship. That $2500 did not include our airfare either. Plus I've purchased some new clothes and shoes and a new camera for the trip. I think I will be so exhausted on sea days that I will sleep late and then park my butte on a deck chair. If you have extra money then splurge but I just wanted you to know that excursions and the pre/post stay even for a short one will really add up.

Melissa

SAve the money for other things, for what you are going to see you need a 360 view, from the top of te ship:D , Its true is very port intensive you are not going to be in your cabin for very long times only to sleep, and its going to be chilly specially at nights and morning where maybe you would have time to be in the balcony. You dont need the balcony the focus here are the ports of call.

Depends what you like to do. Personally, I don't care whether it's port intensive, whether we're even IN port, or whether it's a sea day, I like to spend the first 30-45 minutes of my day sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee and a book while my wife is getting ready.

Never had an inside and don't care to try one, I don't care how much less it costs.

We were in an inside cabin on Carnival Freedom this past April & yes, I wished for a balcony, but it would have made no sense financially. As others have posted, this is a very port intensive cruise & excursions, & post or pre cruise hotels & transport are expensive. We paid 45.00 Euro for private transport from airport to hotel& 145.00 Euro for private transport to/from the ship. If you take the ship sponsored excursions you can plan on spending 100.00 per excursion. Not all will cost that much, but others will cost more, so using that figure gets you in the ball park for planning purposes. If your cruise has a Role Call on this site, it's possible to hook up with some other cruisers on private tours & save some money + have better tours. Hotels in Rome are extremely expensive, we paid 545.00 Euro per night for a centrally located hotel. We could have spent a little less, but wouldn't have had the location we wanted. You also need to remember that the $ is weak as compared to the Euro............for every 1 Euro, it will cost you approximately $1.34. That was the rate in April & by October it could be better or worse, probably worse, the way things are going with our economy. As for the weather...........that's extremely hard to predict. I once went on a Med. cruise in October. Luckily the port days had great weather, but sea days were rainy & cold. Also to be considered is what part this cruise is going to play in your travel life..............is it going to be a trip of a lifetime or just one of many great trips? If it's a trip of a lifetime, I'd say splurge & get a balcony. My cruise of a lifetime is coming up in 2009 when Carnival Splendor sails around South America. I had to cancel a Baltic cruise in order to book a balcony for the Splendor South America, but I think it'll be worth it. Good luck on making your decision.

We are planning a late October cruise to the Mediterranean, is a Balcony really worth the extra $1,000. -1,400. more?

My cruisemate makes a smaller salary and would prefer an inside cabin.

I make a slightly larger salary, but would like to splurge this one time on a balcony.

What are the pros and cons? Will it be too cold in late October for a balcony?

Thanks for all your replies.:)

My DH and friends of ours are going to Europe next September and we have connecting outside state rooms. We both had balconies when we went to Hawaii but decided that the cost of the balcony was just to much. We can spend that money on the expensive excursions that we are going to go on. We are hoping for an upgrade, but even if we do not, we are still going to have a wonderful cruise and we are going to Europe, and that is what we are thinking about the most. As long as we have a window, I am not going to be to disappointed.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I notice that you posted the same message on the Royal Caribbean board.

Which cruise line are you going on? I would not get the inside, had it on a 12 day Meds cruise, did not care much for it. At least consider the ocean view rooms.

My bet you are going on the Holland line, Right!!

I think for me that even though it is port intensive, I do not think I could stand to be in an inside room for that much! I at least need a port hole window for natrual lighting or something!!!!!!! I guess a start to feel a little clausterphobic!:eek:

Archived