Fire risk with a Bungee cord? Why take it?

Maria&Roberto

I never knew what the Bungee cord was for until I read about it in another thread.I did a search and I find people use it to keep balcony door open.I tell husband about it and he tells me that doors are to keep ac working right and to prevent cigarrette from flying in and starting fire.

So why do everybody risk peoples lives?

Maria

I don't think the door is there to stop cigarettes from flying in. Actually the big fire on Princess was when a cigarette blew onto another balcony starting a fire on that balcony and it spread to nearby cabins that way. Cigarettes can be a fire hazard, not bungee cords.

I used the bungee cord to keep my door open, and it did stop the AC, but I didn't mind because I loved the breeze and the sound of the ocean while I slept.

I don't think the door is there to stop cigarettes from flying in. Actually the big fire on Princess was when a cigarette blew onto another balcony starting a fire on that balcony and it spread to nearby cabins that way. Cigarettes can be a fire hazard, not bungee cords.

I used the bungee cord to keep my door open, and it did stop the AC, but I didn't mind because I loved the breeze and the sound of the ocean while I slept.

I wasn't aware that they were sure what caused the fire on the Princess ship, however, the most popular speculation was a cigarette.

People risk there lives on a daily basis, so how is bungee cording a balcony door open any different. How many times have you been passed by a speeding car, or watched someone run a red light. People are good at putting themselves, and others in danger. So personally my bungee cord will be in my suitcase, and I can't wait to hear the sounds of the ocean as I drift off to sleep.

... Cigarettes can be a fire hazard, not bungee cords. ..

Cigarettes do not cause these types of fires. Idiots who toss the cigarettes cause these types of fires.

(Now I've done it.... popcorn anyone?)

People risk there lives on a daily basis, so how is bungee cording a balcony door open any different. How many times have you been passed by a speeding car, or watched someone run a red light. People are good at putting themselves, and others in danger. So personally my bungee cord will be in my suitcase, and I can't wait to hear the sounds of the ocean as I drift off to sleep.

Isn't there a sign that reads "keep door closed"?

Maria

If flying cigarettes are such a hazard, shouldn't smoking be banned in the interest of safety?

Cigarettes don't fly. They fall. But I think another thread on banning smoking is warranted. And one to ban bungee cords.

If a fire starts on a balcony, I would think that you would be much safer in a cabin that has it's balcony door closed so that the fire/smoke wouldn't easily enter your cabin, and you would have a better chance of evacuating without harm.

I'm having a hard time believing you really think this..You think a open door is going to have a cig. fly in from above..

I'm not feeling well today so maybe I'm not undrstandings this question..I don't think today is a good day for me to read these boards!! I'm thinking maybe I'm crabby!!!

have a great day,

Carla

ps. I'm going back to bed......

I never knew what the Bungee cord was for until I read about it in another thread.I did a search and I find people use it to keep balcony door open.I tell husband about it and he tells me that doors are to keep ac working right and to prevent cigarrette from flying in and starting fire.

So why do everybody risk peoples lives?

Maria

Cause you have many people in this world who only think of themselves, not of others.

And then they will post literally hundreds to thousands of words (cause it is basically the same core posters who come out to these "rule" threads) in an attempt to justify an action that they know is wrong.

And they will also belittle persons like you and I who try thier best to follow the straight and narrow. And point out the error of thier ways.

And will bring up all kinds of falderoll (you want to know what it means watch MASH) like "don't you ever go over the speed limit", or "don't you ever run a stop sign", etc, et al, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

You wonder how any of them can ever have any fun anywhere with the miserable lives that they must lead.

Personally I could not care less what you do on the cruise, I'm way too busy having way too much fun to care who's wearing shorts in the DR at dinner or hogging poolside loungers or holding thier balcony doors open with a bungee cord.

I think the chances or a stray cigarette being tossed from "somewhere" on the ship blowing through a balcony door being held open by a bungee cord is slim to none. I use the rubber door stopper the steward leaves in the room. I like to keep the door open while I am out on the balcony because you can't hear the phone or any announcements with the door closed.

I don't think it is a "rule" that you must not leave the door open. It is a notification that the air conditioners turn off automatically when the door is opened. I think the issue may be those who use magnets to keep the AC on. I have been told the stewards now remove the magnets when they find them. In fact on other lines the doors are sliders and they can be kept open easily so I am pretty sure it isn't a safety issue.

Just don't open your cabin door at the same time you open the balcony door. We found out the hard way! I really don't think it's a big deal to open the balcony door with a bungee cord. We don't do it, but it's not a bad idea. IMO. I think worrying about flying cigarettes is a silly thing..:rolleyes:

As someone mentioned before, the A/C will turn off when you prop the door open with a bungee cord. Some people put magnets on the doors to trick the A/C into running anyway, but that can cause problems and should not be done.

Yes, your room will get warmer and more humid, but I for one, don't mind that. Opening your cabin door to the hallway when your balcony door is open creates a wind tunnel that will blow your toupee off, however this phenomenom does not occur if you have an aft balcony cabin.

The doors are there to keep the A/C in, not to keep the flying cigarettes out.

I personally prefer NOT to take a bungee cord. I don't like having that humidity in my cabin. AND if other people are using it and it affects the way the air conditioning works in MY cabin, then I really wish everyone would just leave their doors shut. In any event, people are going to do what they want. Just think about it before you do it.

I personally prefer NOT to take a bungee cord. I don't like having that humidity in my cabin. AND if other people are using it and it affects the way the air conditioning works in MY cabin, then I really wish everyone would just leave their doors shut. In any event, people are going to do what they want. Just think about it before you do it.

That's what I was going to say! :) Thanks! I don't know if you can shut the AC off in the cabins, but if you're going to hold your door open I probably would do that.

Although I have yet to have the experience, I can't see myself doing it and was wondering how that affects the AC system overall. I wouldn't leave the front door or a window in my home open while the AC was running and couldn't imagine doing it on a ship. I guess I'm just a frugal sort of gal and can't help but think of the cost and comfort factor. ;)

Every time I see a post about the bungee cord, I can hear my Dad screaming "Close the darn door, we aren't cooling/heating the outdoors!!!" :D

You are putting more than just your life at risk. You are potentially putting the lives of over 3,000 people at risk. Maybe you should sleep on the balcony.

I think another issue is the effect on the ships power systems. All these people propping open their doors then putting magnets up to keep the air on could potentially overload the system. How would you like to be in the middle of the caribbean with no power because of all the people who did this? Oh, and then we can have an idiot throw his/her cigarette butt over the edge and back into a cabin with a bungeed open door to start a fire when there's no power to lower the lifeboats (though there are probably alternate ways of lowering those).

As someone mentioned before, the A/C will turn off when you prop the door open with a bungee cord. Some people put magnets on the doors to trick the A/C into running anyway, but that can cause problems and should not be done.

Yes, your room will get warmer and more humid, but I for one, don't mind that. Opening your cabin door to the hallway when your balcony door is open creates a wind tunnel that will blow your toupee off, however this phenomenom does not occur if you have an aft balcony cabin.

The doors are there to keep the A/C in, not to keep the flying cigarettes out.

:eek: you mean they are not used as a restraining device? :rolleyes: :p

Archived