Europe + Plantar Fasciitis

SalPal47

Does anyone have any ideas about easing the pain of Plantar Fascitis while walking in Europe? Can anyone recommend comfortable shoes that my orthodics will fit into for daytime use? Thanks,

Ouch! I feel your pain. I would highly reccommend a Cortisone shot before you leave, It worked for me. I also found if I use a wood dowel type roller and roll my bare feet on it- it tends to relieve the pain. A good pair of walker type sneakers like New Balance. I replaced their insole with a "Spenco" Athletic shoe insole which you can buy in most shoe stores and some durg stores. Good Luck and happy cruising.

I suffered with p.f. a while back. The previous poster is on target. Get yourself a cortisone shot...then if the other seuggestions, fail, you still have some relief. I made sure I had several types of shoes to switch off with. Seemed to help. Also used orthotics on some days. Not all. My big problem is finding a high arch shoe. I actually found that Nike Airs had the best support for me. Everyone is different so try all kinds of shoes on. Naturalizer used to make a shoe with a euro sole which also worked well for me. My problem disappeared a while back, so I'm not sure if they still make those.

I did excersies every morning and before going to dinner. I took a tennis ball along and rolled it under my arch. Also strteching the arch with a towel pulled under it is really good. I 'm sure you have all those excercises down pat. Good luck and have a great time!

Don't laugh, but I took double sided carpet tape and taped a pair of orthodics into naturalizer sandals that had velcro closures. Not very fashionable, but very comfortable.

Judy

The cortisone shot would be the best option for a quick fix. I have them put in both heels a couple times each year and they help so much. Just had them about a month ago for our New York trip and they are almost like a miracle! Also I have tried all kinds of inserts, and finally found some that work! A lady from our Church told me about them, so I tried them and they are wonderful. I always order six pair at a time, and have toldothers about them, and they have had good luck with them also. I'm not sure if I can mention them on here, but hope so, They are Cushi Heel pillows, and you are not able to by them in the store. If you want to email me I can give you the number of the company that I get them from. Spooky27000@msn.com. These things are so painful, so I hope you get some relief before you go on your trip.

My husband got a cortisone shot for that exact thing (he plays golf a lot, not sure if that brought it on). Anyway, he had the shot a few years ago and hasn't had any pain since. However, he did say the shot hurt. I was reading up on cortisone shots recently and found that nowdays they can either do a nerve block first or they can have novacaine put in with cortisone shots (at least where pain in your hands are concerned).

I find that Merril and Ecco both make comfortable shoes that work with my custom orthotics. Some of their styles are even fairly attractive. Check out The Walking Company, and if you see something you like, check prices at Shoebuy or Zappos. They both have free shipping and free returns.

Re: steroid injections -- please be careful to have a rheumotologist or orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet do the shots. Also, the shots shouldn't be given all that often. I believe that a couple times a year may be too much. Remember, cortisone is a steroid which can cause all sorts of side effects.

Your doctor can give you a prescription for a plantar faciitis brace which I believe is worn at night. Probably not too pretty, but they are supposed to ease the pain.

Lots of shoes accommodate orthotics. If you are having them custom made, make sure you bring the shoes you want to wear with you when you are casted and when the braces are fitted.

I feel your pain.

Judy

When I had p.f., I did have the shot. It helped soooo much. However, getting the shot--OUCH!! My doctor had to warn me not to kick her in the face, as some people have done. Other than that, I used my orthodics in a pair of New Balances. They seemed to give me the best support and most room with the orthodics.

Ouch - I have had PF twice and I know how much that hurts. I didn't know they could give shots for this as I would have gladly had one to ease the pain. I did get one of those supports for night (at a place called foot smart online) but it made it hard to sleep. I just had to let it run its course - next time will inquire about the shot.

Also suffered w/pf. Conservative treatment didn't do it, but ONE cortisone shot did. I recommend a podiatrist, not an ortho, for this. I had novocaine 1st, the cortisone . . . barely felt anything! Good luck. Still have some foot pain, but from hammer toe this time!

Agreed, the shots are painful, but they do use some lidocaine before giving the injection so they are not as painful. I have broken both of my feet twice, my ankle, and had ankle surgey about two years ago, but these heel spurs are still about the most painfull thing:(, so my orthopedic surgeon gives them to me. He is so compassionate and trys to make it as painless as possible.

A question about the shots....how far in advance of your trip should you have one? I was told a week before, had one and it did not work, then another doctor told me to have it 1 month before. I am soo confused!

The orthotics and New Balance shoes did help though...and determination not to miss Europe!

A question about the shots....how far in advance of your trip should you have one? I was told a week before, had one and it did not work, then another doctor told me to have it 1 month before. I am soo confused!

The orthotics and New Balance shoes did help though...and determination not to miss Europe!

I think there are different types of drugs used for such injections. Some may be longer lasting, but slower acting than others. I found this to be the case with my last hip injection. I got it in November, about two weeks before my cruise. It didn't kick in right away, but up until about weeks ago, I felt pretty good. Some meds don't last as long. I had a horrible reaction to a shot a couple of years ago. It actually turned into gout because crystals formed from the cortisone. It was horrible.

I believe an M.D. like an orthodpedist specializing in the foot or a rheumatologist, is a better choice than a podiatrist. That's just my opinion. I would never let a podiatrist do anything major to my feet. To me, a steroid injection is major because it is actually considered a procedure. It can also tend to cause more damage to the joint in the long run.

Just be careful.

--Judy

Does anyone have any ideas about easing the pain of Plantar Fascitis while walking in Europe? Can anyone recommend comfortable shoes that my orthodics will fit into for daytime use? Thanks,

SalPal47, Email me at Jalexan561@aol.com I may be able to help you, but don't want to post here as what I have to say is sort of strange.

Ouch! Just had it again for the 2nd time in 10 years -- when I was 'breaking' my new SAS sandals for our Statendam NZ curise. What was amazing to me was that this time it was gone in a couple of days as I immediately started wearing that big bulky night splint which I still had. But I'm back in my NBalance shoes and scared to wear others for a while. Other tip is that the reason it's worse in morning is that your toes tend to point downward when sleeping so which is why the splint which holds your ankle bent at least 90 degrees works -- if you don't do the splint, try hanging your foot off of the bottom of the bed in a 90 degree position while sleeping as it's really not uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Pat

Archived