Earliest train from Civitavecchia to Rome?

We dock at 7am. Has anybody ever made the 7.35am train to Rome?

We made it on our trip to rome last month. We were off the ship as soon as we could get off it (and in fact, I don't think they'd announced that you could get off yet, but they were letting people off). We then caught the port shuttle that ended up leaving only a couple minutes after we got on (even though it wasn't full) to the front of the port, and walked to the train station. It's definitely doable if you catch things just right, but I imagine it might be tough if you don't.

:) could you give me more info on the port shuttle...for example where you catch it and what does it look like..last year we disembarked the ship walked thru a covered area retrieved our luggage and boarded a bus to the airport..this year we are doing a b2b so on dec 3 the ship docks at 4am giving us plenty time to get to rome to sightsee thanks:) l

We made it on our trip to rome last month. We were off the ship as soon as we could get off it (and in fact, I don't think they'd announced that you could get off yet, but they were letting people off). We then caught the port shuttle that ended up leaving only a couple minutes after we got on (even though it wasn't full) to the front of the port, and walked to the train station. It's definitely doable if you catch things just right, but I imagine it might be tough if you don't.

The shuttle looked like a regular motor coach. As far as I know, the port provides them to run you to the front of the port. We grabbed it right outside the ship, and when we came back we picked it up at a bus stop that seemed to be for shuttle busses at the front of the port (where we had gotten off it). I think they were running them every 15 minutes or so.

Our ship didn't dock at a place with a covered area so we were farther out, although that could be because it was a stop for us, not the beginning or end. The one place that I remember seeing that was covered was pretty close to the front of the port I think (had a much smaller ship docked there, can't remember what, might have been a Star Clipper or something).

I've seen other people refer to shuttles to the front, so I'm pretty sure it's a fairly common practice. Looking at google earth, the drop off point for the shuttle looks like it was just east of that fortress thingy at the front of the port. From there you just walk south along the road, there were some signs with a stylized train symbol on them to point the way.

We caught the 8:02 train without rushing. When the free port shuttle bus lets you off, turn right and look for the "Stazione" sign--it's an easy 10 minute basically level walk along the waterfront road, and then you'll find the station on the left. Buying tickets at the station took 5 minutes at most.

Les

Archived