Very lightweight luggage

LeslieSJ

I bought luggage more than 13 1/2 years ago while waiting at the Portland airport. I was reading the newspaper waiting to board our flight that would eventually take us to Ireland and I saw an ad for Atlantic Grasshopper luggage. I called my Mom from the airport and had her go to Meier & Frank (Now Macy's) and get it for me. It is 29" and weighs in at about 8 pounds. It's a rolling case with a sturdy handle. It has survived all this time, on various trips with virtually no damage. We have used it for each of our three cruises since then and they (2) cost less than $100 total. I just checked out the Web site and I couldn't find anything similar, but you may be able to find some on that giant Web site that sells everything.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

If the following sizes & weights interest you:

Sizes: 30" x 20" x 12"

26" x 18" x 11"

20" x 14" x 9"

Weight: 30" - 4.2 kg ( 9.24 lbs )

26" - 3.4 kg ( 7.48 lbs )

20" - 2.3 kg ( 5.1 lbs )

you might want to check out the Heys site:

http://shop.heys.ca/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

for details. The above site won't ship to the US, but the luggage is available at Costco, ebags, Target, PackingLight, TravelGizmos, Luggage.com and a host of others. The Heys USA site is under construction but the website http://www.heysusa.com/ lists their online retailers. Incidentally, I have the 20" xcase (5.1 lbs) and love it.:)

Have you considered a belt for your lightweight luggage?

Travel stores sell them. It's a two-inch strap that lassos your larger suitcases shut. We always feel much more secure traveling with one. it snaps like a seat belt around width of bag. No lock.

Also, it makes it easy to spot your bag in the sea of black, lightweight luggage...

...I've spent hours web researching. The only soft side 28" rolling case I've found around 10 lb is Eagle Creek ($250 -- NO discounts)...

Look at this link Click Here I've seen this a little cheaper on another site (Ebags), but they are not listing it right now - maybe they are out of stock.

That is the bag I was talking about:

29" 9.4 lbs

25" 8.4 lbs

22" (carry-on-size) 7.4lbs

All have above average internal capacity, for a given size, probably because there isn't weight wasted on internal compartments and such.

Thanks for all of the great advice. The Money magazine article was very interesting -- shocking to see the Tumi piece got a grade of D.

Skyway and Eagle Creek look like good options -- I'll have to look for the cheapest website now. Thanks again.

I didn't see much response on the duffle bag idea so I'm going to assume that's not the bag of choice for the cruise critic folks.

Have you considered a belt for your lightweight luggage?

Travel stores sell them. It's a two-inch strap that lassos your larger suitcases shut. We always feel much more secure traveling with one. it snaps like a seat belt around width of bag. No lock.

Also, it makes it easy to spot your bag in the sea of black, lightweight luggage...

I have green luggage that is a different color of green than everybody elses, but I too really like those straps. I bought a pair of them for our large suitcases just before our cruise in March. The two I got are rainbow colored (but they come in many different colors) and just as you said, they make our luggage standout. They also make the bags considerably more secure.

Happy cruising to all.

Bob

A big vote in favour of the Heyes luggage, for those who can get it in Canada or elsewhere.

We have used straps on our cases for 30 years, but lately have had many good straps stolen in the cargo/luggage handling areas!

Our biggest luggage problem is the US security cutting off the locks and damaging the cases that have internal locks. Many bags are not closed properly if unlocked, and zippers can un-zip without a lock to hold them. We bought "approved" padlocks in a US airport, and still had them gone on arrival. We have finally resorted to using paper clips to hold zippers together when travelling to the US, and not using our "good" lightweight luggage that has integral locks if going through the US. Unfortunately, most of our cruises leave from the US. So the security checks mean all our belongs are insecure.

Any suggestions to avoid this problem?

A few years ago, I found some Eddie Bauer luggage (at Target), and they were designed to be lightweight. And they are very light & durable, and not super expensive. I have taken on overseas trips and other vacations and they have held up fine. Plus they are expandable. As I'm one of those who tend to 'overpack' vs. travel light - I have been fine meeting the weight limit. So you might want to check that out. Also look into Land's End to see if they have any lightweight bags.

Luggage seems to be changing so much now from the days when you bought a set and used it forever. So now I prefer to go a bit cheaper so that I won't feel guilty replacing it later when they come out with new and lighter bags.

I love my Eagle Creek roller that converts into a backpack and has a little backpack that can be zipped on and off when needed. I've had it for almost 7 years and not even a thread has come out. It's been with me on a two month journey through all of Europe, including various subways, trains, planes, ferries and auto's. It has been with me on another one month trip to Europe which again had subways, trains, planes and auto's. It has been on more land trips in the U.S. than I count on my hands and feet and has been flown between the West and East Coast more times than I can count on my hands and feet. It is by far the best all purpose luggage I have owned!

Cheers,

-Lori

Has anyone in the UK experience of the above Luggage Brands?

We are interested in buying for our Mercury Cruise to Australia & New Zealand next Jan.

Our Luggage allowance is only 20 KG P.P, so any suggestions will be considered.

Hi

Interested to read your comments. We have been using Samsonite's 4 wheeled cases for a few years. They are brilliant (you don't take any of the case's weight - just pull them along on a 'lead', like walking a dog) BUT weigh an absolute ton. (We were asked for over £120 excess baggage costs last year after a long cruise but managed to negotiate this down to £60!).

We agreed that we needed lighter cases, and trotted off to a Samsonite stockist only to find that the weight of each case not given on labels.

I contacted Samsonite who responded by saying that it was impossible for them to give the weight of a case, as suppliers and/or components change from time to time and they would not want to give erroneous information! The mind boggles.

If you come across a durable lightweight case here in the UK, I'd be grateful if you would please let us know your stockist!

Almost hate to admit it, but several years ago, in the search for lightweight luggage, I bought a 4 piece set for about $100 on eBags. We figured 1) the bright blue color would be easily recognized in baggage claim, 2) if it was destroyed in transit, we wouldn't take a great loss and 3) if bags were damaged, they could be easily replaced at low cost. Well, 3 years and 4 cruises plus several land trips later...the bags are still in reasonably good condition. The small frame dents and blemishes on the fabric are no different from what we had on our old, heavy expensive name brand bags. They roll easily; we rarely see others with the same shade of blue and none has been replaced. So, will never again spend a lot on luggage - would rather use the $$ for settling our onboard account :)

If you don't mind spending the $$$$ for High Quality luggage that will last more than just a few cruises, then RIMOWA would be a good choice. They cost a lot :eek: , but are hard sided and VERY lightweight - roughly 8lbs. That's really quite light for a hardsided case. They are very durable as well and have a 5 year warranty.

Samsonite ahs a new series on the market called Sky Wheelers they are great but because brand new series still abit expensive (150 - 200 Euros deopending on size) but when 20 KG is all I get every gram I can use for clothing is valuable!!!

In the wee hours of the morning about a year ago I was watching one of the home shopping networks thinking I'd be so bored I'd fall asleep. Instead someone was selling a set of luggage that looked like just the thing that I needed for my upcoming first ever transatlantic cruise. I liked the size and the design of the pieces so much that at about 2:00 a.m. I placed an order.

And then the luggage came. The piece I liked the most weighed 29 lbs. And all the others were also heavy. Still by careful packing and leaving the heaviest bag at home I came in under 50 lbs.

DH and I used the bags for a brief land trip in March, and even on land the luggage was too heavy. So I gave it to my church to sell in a yard sale.

We now have a bright blue inexpensive set of lightweight luggage that I bought on ebags. I don't even know who made it, and I don't care. It seems sturdy enough to make it through many trips, and it's something I can manage since DH is mostly in a wheelchair.

I have had red straps to use for years. And I recently bought neon green thingies (don't know name) to put around the handles. So if you're in an airport and see blue luggage with green handles and red straps...it's us!:D

We recently bought the Samsonite "Spinner" Series luggage. There are four wheels and they make moving the suitcases a breeze. One person can easily move two 30" pieces with one hand. What we've given up on weight, we've more than made up for with the ease of getting the pieces around the airports, ships, etc.

I love my Eagle Creek roller that converts into a backpack and has a little backpack that can be zipped on and off when needed. I've had it for almost 7 years and not even a thread has come out. It's been with me on a two month journey through all of Europe, including various subways, trains, planes, ferries and auto's. It has been with me on another one month trip to Europe which again had subways, trains, planes and auto's. It has been on more land trips in the U.S. than I count on my hands and feet and has been flown between the West and East Coast more times than I can count on my hands and feet. It is by far the best all purpose luggage I have owned!

Cheers,

-Lori

I have a generic version of this style of bag that I got in 1999 and love it for all the reasons you mention. Unlike yours, however, mine has had many many rips and tears and seams come loose that I have sewn over the years. (can't complain really, since I got it at a trade show as a freebie) This sounds like the perfect replacement bag for me. The funny thing about this bag was when the airlines (briefly) installed little cut-outs over the x-ray machine entrances to keep people from putting through oversized carry ons, I could just unzip the little backpack and voila, get it through the machine no problem. The one I have also has shoe pockets on the side.

We don't travel as much as some, but we have decided that luggage is expendable. It seems that there is no handle,wheel,or zipper that the airlines can't destroy and they have signs that say they are not responsible for damage to same. We buy inexpensive luggage, a mini roll of duct tape and hope that it lasts more than one flight.:) Bill

Archived