Cruise Critic Scuba Cruise 2008 Aboard the Emerald Princess

Sailfish

Confirmed Pricing for Group Dive Package

Until now, I didn't have confirmed pricing from ShoreTrips; I do now for all our ports except Dominica which I should have very soon. Since I feel everyone interested in diving with the group should know how I came about selecting ShoreTrips, I feel my Scuba Group members are entitled to a cost comparison. I also feel members should know that just because I used ShoreTrips on the last scuba cruise, I didn't feel compelled to sign-on with them. In fact, I put a lot of effort into contacting individual dive operations, and only after the majority told me that they wouldn't honor my request for a cancellation and refund policy, that I contacted the cruise line and ShoreTrips.

I want everyone to feel good about diving with the group, and hope all of you understand that in my opinion, booking our group dive package with ShoreTrips made the most sense. The prices are in line with my expectations and reasonable for a quality product. The dive package does not invoke a cancellation penalty in the event the ship is unable to make into the port of call and purchasing your dives is secure and easy.

If you are a certified diver, you know that scuba diving is an exepnsive sport. I do what I can to keep your cost down, and hope, after further examination, you will agree that diving with the group is the best way to go. However, please note that you are under no obligation to dive with the group. In fact, I have a list of quality dive operations in each of our ports of call that I'd be happy to disclose to you if you prefer to make your own arrangements.

As you look through the price list, I want to point out a few things. Joann, our group dive coordinator at ShoreTrips wanted me to let you know that none of the dive shops used for the group at our ports of call run cattle boat operations. They limit the number of divers, include tansportation and a lot of extras you won't get elsewhere. Joann is a diver and visits all the dive operations used by ShoreTrips regularly - she just returned from her latest dive trip last month - their version of quality control (I wish I had her job!).

More often than not, the published rates at ShoreTrips will be less than what the cruise line would charge. That's not the case in St. Thomas; she put together a dive package for the group at the premier dive operation on the island. I could have gone with a lesser dive operation, but felt it was worth paying a little more for individual attention and quality. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I have come to trust Joann's input. I could have made arrangements on my own in St. Thomas, but when I factored in the price and the cost of transportation, I felt what Joann could offer the group was better than what I could do on my own. The dives offered through Princess include transportation, but on our particular sailing, which is so popular with divers, the ship's dive group will be quite large in St. Thomas.

I expect most of the dive operations to limit the number of divers they can accommodate. I don't have numbers yet, but I will soon, and when I do, I will post this information. If you think you want to dive with the group, I would recommend you put your name on the appropriate dive boat list. People whose names appear on the list will be guaranteed a spot when they are ready to purchase the dives. There's really no obligation and you can remove your name if you change your mind. For that reason, I will also have a waiting list for each port.

1. The cost to dive all five ports of call with the Scuba Group: $452

If you were to dive with the group in all five ports of call (through ShoreTrips), you can expect to pay close to $452 - that's including the dives in Dominica, which we expect to cost around $100 - give or take a few $.

2. The cost to dive all five ports of call with Princess: $555

If you booked your dives through Princess, the cost to do so would be $555 - about $100 more than our group's cost. You'd be silly to consider going this route!

3. The cost to dive all five ports of call on your own: About $422

I won't argue with you that booking your dives independently will save you the most money. If you do so, based on my research, it will cost you around $422 - a savings of around $30 over our rates - to book all your own dives. I found most dive operators will require a non-refundable deposit (the main reason I chose to go with ShoreTrips), will have larger dive groups and will not include tranportation.

You save the most money in St. Thomas (around $23) followed by Grenada (around $14) and Aruba ($8) if you make arrangements to dive there on your own. It's cheaper to dive with the group in Bonaire and probably also in Dominica. If you factor in the cost of transportation, about the only port where you will save a significant amount of money if you do it yourself is in St. Thomas. I anticipate a few people to do just that!

Members who plan to dive in all five ports of call with the group will find the cost to do so reasonable. Most I think will agree that it's worth it to dive with the same people all week. I also think they will appreciate the individual attention, smaller groups and free transportation associated with the group dive package. Nobody wants to experience a port cancellation, but it's nice to know that if we can't get to a port for whatever reason, ShoreTrips will either refund 100% of money paid for dives in that port or make arrangements (in the event of a last minute itinerary change) to dive somewhere else.

4. Which Ports to Dive, Which to spend with non-Divers

People who do not intend to dive in each port of call (I expect 50% to fall into this category) always ask which ports I recommend the most. All the ports of call we are scheduled to visit on this cruise have great diving, so it's kind of hard to choose. But if I had to, I'd recommend Aruba, Bonaire, Dominica and St. Thomas.

We arrive in Grenada around noon and stay until 7pm - we will be scheduled to dive 2 tanks in the afternoon. If you dive, there won't be much time to see the island or do much shopping. There's a lot of interesting things to see and do topside in Grenada, so it might be a port worth seeing with non-diving family and friends.

We are in the other ports all day. If you dive with the group, you should still have some time in the afternoon (with the exception of Bonaire) to explore the island or to do a lttle shopping. Most divers are anxious to get wet, so I expect us to max out in Aruba. And since St. Thomas is our last port of call, I would also expect to max out there. If you are traveling with non-divers, I recommend you research the ports of call and figure out which ports are best to spend topside.

I hope you will take into consideration the benefits of diving with the group, including priority tendering, my shipboard services as your group dive leader and the camaraderie associated with diving with new freinds all week long! Please don't hesitate to post a reply if you have any questions.

Prices:

Aruba $83

Day 4 November 13, 2008

8am-5pm

2 tank boat dives

ShoreTrips Dive Package Cost: $83

Cruise Line Cost: $99pp

Independent Dive Operator Cost: $75pp

Bonaire $51

Day 5 November 14, 2008

7am-2pm

ShoreTrips Dive Package (1 tank boat dive, unlimited shore diving) Cost: $51

Cruise Line Cost (2 tank boat dives): $129

Independent Dive Operator Cost (2 tank boat dives): $60

Grenada $110

Day 6 November 15, 2008

12 noon - 7pm

2 tank boat dives

ShoreTrips Dive Package Cost:$110

Cruise Line Cost: $119

Independent Dive Operator Cost:$96

Dominica (Count on it being about $100)

Day 7 November 16, 2008

7am - 5pm

2 tank boat dives

ShoreTrips Dive Package Cost: TBA (should be around $100

Cruise Line Cost: $109pp

Independent Dive Operator Cost:$106

St. Thomas $108

Day 8 November 17, 2008

8am - 6pm

2 tank boat dives

ShoreTrips Dive Package Cost:$108

Cruise Line Cost: $99

Independent Dive Operator Cost:$85

• 2 weeks later...

Dive Boat Update

Just a brief update - if you are interested in diving with the group, the dive boats in some ports are filling up.

The dive boats in Grenada and Dominica are full, though I have requested a second dive boat for the group. I will not know for a couple of months if our request to add more divers will be honored, so I felt it was only fair to give you a heads up.

If you would like to dive in any port of call where the dive boat appears to be full, please add your name to the dive boat waiting list. As time goes on, things happen where people are forced to back out, so I recommend if you want to dive with the group, that you add your name to the waiting list before you deposit the cruise.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

• 1 month later...

March Update

Based on recent information I got from CruCon, it appears we continue to have good stateroom inventory available well into March. Johna, our group agent, wanted me to remind people holding onto Future Cruise Credits that you can use them to book this cruise, and increase your shipboard credit! No other deposit is required if you use FCC's!

If you are a certified scuba diver, space on our dive boats is filling up; Grenada is sold out! That said, I was able to get an additional boat or a larger boat in some of our ports of call, increasing the number of divers we can accommodate. Currently, we have a group of 11 divers. I expect to to max out at 16. If you are interested in diving with the group in Grenada, it might be possible for us to get another boat, but I would need at least 6 more divers.

We appear to have a nice group, consisting of non-divers and divers. If you know of anyone interested in joining the group, please encourage them to email me, the group leader, for a group brochure.

Thanks.

Archived