JS or Grand Suite on Grandeur?

Ebbsail

Your opinions please - I have the chance to change my grand suite (me and my elderly parents) to a JS and save $1000. I know the suite has a ton more room but since the Grandeur doesn't have a concierge lounge, we're missing out on alot of the amenities other than space. I appreciate any help in making the decision....

Don't get me wrong, I really want the suite, but I feel obligated to get the JS - my parents are paying half for the cruise and I'm paying the other half. We're also travelling with other family members and my parents would only go if I travelled with them.

Thanks for any and all input.

Since DW & I usually book a balcony, our recent booking on Grandeur in a JS (the best one on the ship - port side aft) with the larger balcony and full walk-in closet was GREAT - and the larger balcony a real plus. But, the aft cabins make it a VERY long walk to get anywhere (and back). I don't think the other JS cabins have the walk-in closet but are a bit bigger than the standard balcony cabins. The Grand Suites are 349 sq ft with a balcony of 107 while the JS is 245 sq ft with 58 on the balcony - the JS is a lot smaller!! Since we usually order breakfast on the balcony, the GS would be better and more comfortable - especially for 3 people - but I think that unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the cabin for other than showers, changing clothes and sleeping, having $1000 to spend on other things could be a decider for me. JMHO

You hit the nail on the head! My parents are not very mobile and I think they will spend about 50% of their waking hours (not including sleeping) in the room. I'm thinking, with the larger room, they may have the grandkids (3 and 1) hang out. Otherwise, they would have to head to the lounge area or pool decks.

Other thoughts? I really need alot of help here - $1000 is significant incentive to forego the extra room - but deep down I think they would enjoy it.

You hit the nail on the head! My parents are not very mobile and I think they will spend about 50% of their waking hours (not including sleeping) in the room. I'm thinking, with the larger room, they may have the grandkids (3 and 1) hang out. Otherwise, they would have to head to the lounge area or pool decks.

Other thoughts? I really need alot of help here - $1000 is significant incentive to forego the extra room - but deep down I think they would enjoy it.

I personally think the room and bigger balcony is something you will not regret having. With three people it is going to give you a lot more space. Your parents can order room service which is included in your fare and they will have a ball sitting on the balcony eating and watching scenery. Its something you may never do again, so, I say keep the room.

Unless there are only 2 in room, you should keep the suite. A JS is lovely and spacious, but only for 2!!! Think of a regular hotel room--that's about the size of a JS. It would be cramped for 3 adults. Someone would have to sleep on that sofa bed, which is only suitable for small children! Not very comfortable.

If you're worried about their having to pay more, let them pay 1/2 of the JS price and you can kick in the balance.

Archived