Baby on Board! Ideas and help cruising w/ a baby!

Susan Casler

My mother in law wanted to go on the cruise to Alaska so we are going with my 9 month old. I am terrified that there wont be access to good medical care. Has anyone traveled with a baby and what are some ideas to keep them occupied. How did you deal with the small space and the time change! We are going on NCL which does not have infant care. Thanks.

haven't been to Alaska yet, but we did take the kids to Hawaii and did see a lot of babies. My advise would be to rent a car or walk when in port (I hear most Alaska ports are walkable). That way you can take things at your pace and go back to the ship easily if needed. Have fun:)

My mother in law wanted to go on the cruise to Alaska so we are going with my 9 month old. I am terrified that there wont be access to good medical care. Has anyone traveled with a baby and what are some ideas to keep them occupied. How did you deal with the small space and the time change! We are going on NCL which does not have infant care. Thanks.

Is this your first cruise? You're going to have a blast!

Each cruise ship has a (U.S.) doctor on board, as well as an official medical center, and you'll mostly be staying in U.S. waters and very close to shore so you really don't need to worry about getting medical care if you need it. Alaska isn't exactly a third world nation - they've got doctors just we have them here in the contiguous states. ;) If there's ever a problem that the on board doctor can't handle you can get medical help in one of the ports, and I'd imagine you could be emergency helicoptered out to a hospital if absolutely necessary.

I have a 8 month old and we're sailing to Hawaii next month - I agree with the previous poster - come check out the "Family Cruising" forum. I've gotten such great advice there... :)

We just got back from Alaska with a 6 month old - she actually had to go see the ship's doctor (she had some sort of rash - my sister thought it was ringworm), and as far as I know,the ship's doctor was just as good as their doctor back home.

The best advice I can think of is take as much of your family with you as you can! Abby (the baby) was pretty good, but it was nice that there were so many of us to split the baby duties. Also, my sister and her husband got a junior suite that connected to my parent's junior suite so there was plenty of room.I can't imagine there being enough room for the crib and the baby in our regular balcony room.

She actually did ok with the time change - there was one night about 3-5 days after we traveled both ways where she was up a lot. The staff on board loved her and were eager to help out.

One thing that we found was that the dining room was too hard, so we ate at the Windjammer (the casual buffet restaurant on RCCI ships - I don't know what it is on your ship) every night. By mid-week, the staff there had a highchair waiting for us when we got there!

I'm glad that we took the cruise with the baby (of course, she's not mine which makes it easier :) ), and I thought she did great.You'll have a great time!!!!

the good thing about a baby and NCL..no set dining times or dress codes (other then resort casual). you can go to the dining rooms when it's good for you and baby... maybe grandma can babysit one night, so you and go out for a late, romantic supper? i don't know which NCL ship you are going on? i was on the NCL star and loved it. so many dining choices. we didn't even try to eat at all of them. the trick is to dine early, the dining rooms start to get busy by 7pm. with NCL you can sit down to eat...go to a show/other activity..and come back for dessert. you can split up your meal to fit your needs.

Archived