What kind of underwater camera do you use?

There are so many underwater cameras for sale and I was wondering do you use disposable or reloadable? flash or not?

After trying and rejecting a heavy plastic bag-type waterproof case for my "regular" camera, I bought an Olympus Stylus 770SW. It's good down to 33 feet (I used it in shallower water) and takes great pictures inside, outside, in the rain and underwater.

It has multiple settings: portrait, night, underwater (one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish ;)) I took both cameras to Tahiti this summer and ended up using the 770 all the time. Downside - $$$. But it's worth it - IMHO.

I like Fugi better than Kodak for their throw away cameras for underwater pictures. 800ASA is what you want. But, on last crsue met couple who just bought a skinny little digital camera that is waterproof and they used that for snorkling pictures! Think there are two brands, not that expensive. One of these will be my next camera!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I found one at Amazon.com that is reloadable, it has decent reviews.

At $13.99 with a flash :)

I'll try it out in the pool before we go.

Here is a link to it if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069ZWHQ/002-4707216-2968802[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069ZWHQ/002-4707216-2968802][/url]

Thanks again

Donna

well, i've never used that type of camera underwater. but flash doesn't do too well underwater. be prepared to be very close to your subject. stay very close to the top, so you can take advantage of above-water ambient light.

A friend whose wife has won awards for her underwater photography told me to ALWAYS shoot up towards the surface, never down towards the bottom. They are both serious scuba divers. And, if you have a flash, use it.

Check out the "Photo Gallery" forum here on CC -- there are loads of threads about the different types of underwater cameras.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

I'd thought about getting an underwater case for my Canon SD800IS, but was nervous about having it malfunction and ruin my beautiful, beautiful digital camera. :) I'd also thought about getting an Olympus 770SW, but since I'm not a serious diver/snorkeler, I thought it would be a waste of money (that model tends to run about $350). So even though I'd heard all about how disposable cameras result in disposable pictures, I ended up just using a FujiFilm disposable underwater camera. And the pictures actually turned out fairly well -- here are a couple examples:

UW23.JPG?imgmax=512

My husband feeding the fish on our helmet dive in Bora Bora.

UW17.JPG?imgmax=512

Our dive instructor kissing a sting ray, again in Bora Bora.

As a diver for many years I have a Nikonos IV with a flash using 35mm. Just prior to my dive trip on July 1st to the Dominican Republic I found a waterproof case for my Fugu F30 6.3 mp camera and purchased.

I used this more on my trip as the camera can stay in the housing all the time, and underwater you can also take videos "640x480" and it did a great job.

Fugi now has the F31 and F40 out and you can purcase the camera for less that 200.00 and the housing in the 125.00 range and have the best of land and sea. Now you can take your camera to the beach also without worry.

After trying and rejecting a heavy plastic bag-type waterproof case for my "regular" camera, I bought an Olympus Stylus 770SW. It's good down to 33 feet (I used it in shallower water) and takes great pictures inside, outside, in the rain and underwater.

It has multiple settings: portrait, night, underwater (one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish ;)) I took both cameras to Tahiti this summer and ended up using the 770 all the time. Downside - $$$. But it's worth it - IMHO.

I have the Olympus 800 which is only weatherproof but I loved the software, the resolution, etc so when the Stylus 770SW came out, I got that too. Its a great camera, not only for snorkeling, shallow dives but water slides, etc. The down side, its a bit heavy for its size. In the past I have used Fugi Waterproof disposables. They do fine but its nice to have pix to download. Glad you like your 770SW.

Archived