Roll Call - Seabourn Legend - August 25, 2007

johnnycruise

Just a week to go before we board the plane for Nice. Looking forward to meeting any others on this sailing.

As for the ports, I have a good idea of what to do in all of them except Valencia. For those who've visited Valencia, is it worth a look around or would you suggest an excursion out of town?

johnny

Hi

Valencia is a lovely city and definately worth visiting, also the central food market is great and interesting to see all the fresh fish and other local products etc.

enjoy your cruise

deb

I found Valencia charming! I spent most of the day around the market, drooling over the luscious produce and fresh fish. Then I quenched my thirst and appetite with a Coke Light and a ham and cheese sandwich at one of the little cafes right outside of the market.

Thanks for the comments. We'll probably just go for a stroll around Valencia and get a feel for the place.

We're staying two-nights pre-cruise in Nice so maybe we'll get an advanced peak of the Legend on Friday before Saturday's "long" journey Saturday to Monte-Carlo over the corniche (JaneBP, I've already made a note to visit the ATM in preparation for perhaps the most expensive 12-mile cab ride in the world). If only there were a way to embark a day in advance ... :D

johnny

Sailor's,

Have a marvelous cruise ~~if time permits please post aboard and let us know the fun Legend happening's !

I enjoyed sailing with you last Dec,~~we certainly had a few interesting sailmates!;)

Bon Voyage! Smooth seas and blue skies:o

MB

>"I've already made a note to visit the ATM in preparation for perhaps the most expensive 12-mile cab ride in the world)."

LOL! The taxis are on meters, so that helps if the language fails. Also, remember, in August, everyone is on vacation and the traffic wss very heavy, even on the autostrada. You might have trouble convincing the driver that the Moyenne Corniche is the way to go, and if it takes more time, it might be more expensive.

BTW, if you go to the Grace Kelly exhibit, there is a phone by the entrance on the sidewalk level to call a cab to get to the port. It worked fine and there is a coatroom to hold luggage inside the hall. (I have no idea if that's in the plans, but figured I would post the information). Taxis are generally non-flaggable, as it were.

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

It's Monday and we're on the second full day of the cruise. Yesterday (Sunday) was one of those excellent Seabourn days.

I don't think many people had heard of Porquerolles. No shore excursions and the front desk had little information. We caught the tender at about 10:30 a.m. and the local tourist board was set up under a tent at the tender pier ... on a Sunday morning! They provided us with a map and suggestions and off we went. Porquerolles has very few cars - visitors can't rent them, so everyone was walking or riding a bike. We hiked up to the Ste.-Agathe fort and had a wonderful view of the village and the Legend at anchor in the bay. Next we walked to a crowded, yet beautiful beach called Plage d'Argent. At first we were disappointed ... the close end smelled of sulphur and there was a LOT of seaweed. We walked a further 300 yards and it changed completely. White sand and calm seas. The water was "refreshing" - it took a minute to get used to!

After a short swim we walked back to town (about 1/2 mile) and rode the tender back to the Legend. The marina was open and we rode the banana boat for about an hour. The weather was superb. I think around 78F.

Took a well-deserved nap and prepared for formal night. We sat at the Computer technician's table. It started a bit awkward but we ended up overstaying as we were having such a good time talking with our fellow passengers and Kendall ... the waiter told us if we didn't hurry we would miss Eric de Gray's show. The show was very well received and we enjoyed it. Next, off to the Club and before we knew it, it was 2:00 a.m.

We are in Cannes today and will be here late. A large Carnival ship is at anchor, but only the Legend is tied up to the pier - quite convenient! Several people are taking the St. Paul de Vence excursion. We went there during our pre-cruise stay in Nice and I would highly recommend it.

There is a Sky Bar dinner tonight but, alas, we waited too late and it is booked. The front desk said the maitre d' may schedule another one later in the cruise. Dinner tonight is with the Club duo.

Happy travels!

johnny

Hello Sailor's,

Thank you for your Legend review.

I received an e-mail from Eric DeGray just yesterday~~please tell him I say "Howdy!" If you have a free day, invite him for lunch~~he's a delight and you'll enjoy visiting with him. (he'll soon be joining the Pride) Also Eric knows Valencia very well as he's spent quite a bit of time in V.

Have a continued wonderful voyage!:p

Martita B.

Hello Sailor's,

Thank you for your Legend review.

I received an e-mail from Eric DeGray just yesterday~~please tell him I say "Howdy!" If you have a free day, invite him for lunch~~he's a delight and you'll enjoy visiting with him. (he'll soon be joining the Pride) Also Eric knows Valencia very well as he's spent quite a bit of time in V.

Have a continued wonderful voyage!:p

Martita B.

I keep hearing all these great things about Eric. Do you know when he is joining the Pride?! We are sailing in less than 3 months!

Eric DeGrey is a charming and very talented young man from Canada. He's been with Seabourn for many years~~I feel fortunate we've not lost him to Broadway as he's taller than Tommy Tune and has a much better voice!:p Eric does perform world-wide when time permits.

I know he'll be aboard the Pride during our Oct. 19th Eastern Seaboard voyage and I'm guessing he will stay on for a couple of months. (he just boarded the Legend after his vacation for a short contract)

You will indeed enjoy Eric~~~

Martita B.

We have had a great trip so far.

In Mahon, we docked at the foot of the town. A beautiful harbor. We rented a car and really did see Menorca. The north coast and its lighthouse, El Toro mountain for a 360 degree panorama and finally a very isolated beach on the south shore.

A much younger crowd than what I've experienced before. The Sky Bar "disco" has been busy until three in the morning (I've heard:D ). I think one of the reasons is because the DJ is one of the friendliest of the onboard "entertainers."

One night there were four different entertainment options simultaneously. A nice gentleman from the "home office" is on board overseeing the entertainment (as it applies to the "trial" period on the Legend) and he told me next week he heads north to oversee the Pride refurbishment/drydock.

Eric arrived to the Liars Club in his skating garb. I will say after three cruises I know most of the "true" definitions.

It is a beautiful, sunny 85F in Palma today. The historical palace and cathedral are not to be missed!

Sorry, more info will be forthcoming but the buses to the Seabourn Experience are boarding in five minutes.

Happy travels!

johnny

• 3 weeks later...

Archived