Destiny was overbooked by 8 cabins +downgrades to some

steveaaaa

well do to my nuerosis, i will probably be doing the worry-wort thing until the day we board the ship :) oh well, we'll see where the cards lie, i guess. hopefully all will work out and we will be upgraded to a penthouse suite! hah, i wish!

I don't understand, Why would they tell these people we will fly you to St Thomas and THAN see if maybe a cabin will open up.

Was this a Carnival problem or maybe a TA screw up. When I cruised on Costa in April, The people in front of us on line never checked their tickets, they said they were for April 4, their tickets said April 11. Costa had open cabins so they did a switch, but they were told that their might be a problem because all names have to sent to imm. 24 hours before cruise time.

I saw them on the ship, so I guess everything worked out.

I don't understand, Why would they tell these people we will fly you to St Thomas and THAN see if maybe a cabin will open up.

Because the ship's first port is ST.thomas and those who missed the ship the 1st day will go to St.thomas to catch it.When it sails from St.thomas the empty cabins from the no shows will be given to them.

I think it is wrong, because what if you miss the 1st 2 days,I would still try and catch it at the next port as I paid for it.I would be upset if I found out that my cabin,the one I paid for and am not getting any refund has been given away.

Steve

Sorry, but there is something wrong with this whole story.

Again, why would Carnival send these people to St Thomas not knowing if there will be open cabins. If the ship is booked, how could there be no shows in St Thomas. If the ship had cabins the first day than these people would have one, so how can they say "lets see who doesn't show up at the next stop".

Cruise lines don't over book thinking people will be no shows(after paying their full fare.), they over book because 15% do not make the final payment.

Cruiselines overbook before final payment is due with the hopes that people will cancel before they have to pay a penalty- It doesn thappen often but when it does its a doozey.

I am under the impression the documents are not being sent out 7-8 weeks ahead of time-only the gaurantees cabins are set at that time. Has anyone received documents almost 2 months out from Carnival???

Ilov2cruise, it could just be that Steve heard it wrong, or was told wrong or the person he heard it from misunderstood, whatever. But the cruiselines have been known to overbook and bump passengers. Most recently for Carnival, quite a few cruises out of Baltimore, as per all the threads of late.

Serene, yes, ours were dated 7/29 Miami postmark, and we received them the Saturday after, if I remember right.

I am starting to hear some pretty "shady stories" with CCL. I hope none of this is true and that we would NEVER have the same problems.

I am still under the impression that Carnival cares about its customers and it would go the extra mile if something dramatic like this were to happen.

We always book a specific room, I guess this avoids all the problems of overbooking a particular cabin.

Kodiac :)

Sorry, but there is something wrong with this whole story.

Again, why would Carnival send these people to St Thomas not knowing if there will be open cabins. If the ship is booked, how could there be no shows in St Thomas. If the ship had cabins the first day than these people would have one, so how can they say "lets see who doesn't show up at the next stop".

Cruise lines don't over book thinking people will be no shows(after paying their full fare.), they over book because 15% do not make the final payment.

CCL does not know if those who have not shown up at sailing time whether they missed the flight,the flight was late, or some other occurance happened that prevented them from being on time.When they do show up or call CCL they need to get to St.thomas to catch the ship. These no shows are the same ones who will call and say they are not coming, or do not show up in St.thomas and CCL declares them as no shows at departure time.

Steve

We always book a specific room, instead of a guarantee. I don't want to take any chances of there being a problem. Friends of ours always take the chance in getting bumped up to a better category, so they just take an IS GTY. Well, this time they got an inside and it is a category 4A. But they are on the back of the ship, inside cabin, on the Main deck. WOW..what a deal!

I think I will pay the extra dinero and get what I want....

Deena

I spoke to my PVP about this today. He said that no one was denied a cabin on that sailing and that no complaints have been logged regarding this on that sailing.

Perhaps OP misunderstood the conversation?

Further, PVP says that there are ALWAYS cabins held out of inventory to accommodate last minute issues (a bathroom flooding, a door lock not working, things of that sort), so there are ALWAYS a few cabins from which they can choose to place passengers if something unexpected comes up.

He has never seen the experience of anyone being denied boarding at embarkation for lack of space. He's been with CCL over 10 years.

ihhk, I hate to tell you, but your PVP is definitely wrong. There have been several posts regarding the Baltimore overbookings and people literally being turned away!! You can do a search and read all about it... The PVP's, from what most of us have learned, really know even less than we do about what is going on!!!!! They know how to look in the computer and get pricing, but call 15 PVP's on one thing and you will get 15 different answers. I'm not surprised that yours did not know, but he is definitely wrong on this one... It does not happen often, but it DOES indeed happen.

Archived