Parasailing question! do they....

Do they weigh you before they let you parasail? Is the weight limit strictly enforced or do they just look you over? the limit is 375 for two people and you MUST fly with another person. My friend and i are probably just around that. I was just curious if they would give us a problem. Specifically we are looking to do the RCI parasailing exucursion on Cozumel. Thanks!:)

Just wondering if they can mix passengers to balance out or do singles? A long time ago we did parasailing at Lake Tahoe & they sent up my wife (weighed less then me) with our older son (who was heavier then the younger one) and i went up with our younger son. It just evened out the weight distribution. Funny story, but they say you don't have to hold onto the straps. After we went up the rig dropped about 6" & I retained a death grip on the straps.

Do they weigh you before they let you parasail? Is the weight limit strictly enforced or do they just look you over? the limit is 375 for two people and you MUST fly with another person. My friend and i are probably just around that. I was just curious if they would give us a problem. Specifically we are looking to do the RCI parasailing exucursion on Cozumel. Thanks!:)

Just for the record, we parasailed at Labadee on our Explorer cruise last fall. Brian and I are very big people---there was no doubt that we were going to go up separately, which we did. I believe we made all the obvious inquiries before we booked onboard the ship. It was hassle-free to deal with and a real hoot to do. (I liked being up there alone!)

Leslie

Just wondering if they can mix passengers to balance out or do singles? A long time ago we did parasailing at Lake Tahoe & they sent up my wife (weighed less then me) with our older son (who was heavier then the younger one) and i went up with our younger son. It just evened out the weight distribution. Funny story, but they say you don't have to hold onto the straps. After we went up the rig dropped about 6" & I retained a death grip on the straps.

Good point about mixing couples. It seems as if the RCI parasail excursions require you to go with another person. There are no single riders. There are about 8 people going with us on the excursion so we were trying to figure out the best combinations. We think we still would have one couple that was right on the border of the limit. Glad to hear it hasnt been a problem for anyone else! i'm looking forward to it but getting a little nervous as it gets closer!:)

The weight limit is a safety issue and if you believe that the two of you weigh more than the limit, I WOULD NOT try to get by with it...it could cost you your life! If the company does not ask for your weight, then I don't think they are very reputable. :rolleyes: Remember, RCCL does not operate these excursions. They are independent operators that only want your money.

I researched before deciding to do a parasailing adventure and decided against it! The following stories don't necessarily have to do with weight limits, but some of the accidents were caused from tow lines snapping. I read that the weight limit really depends on conditions of the weather. Where the set weight limit is 375 on a beautiful still day, the limit should really be 300 on a windy day.

http://www.parasail.org/video4.htm

http://www.facts-1.com/horror.htm

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/14/State/Senator_seeks_new_rul.shtml

Last year in Coz me, DH and another couple parasailed. Us 4, another couple and 2 single ladies were on the boat. Several in our group were asked their weight but not all.

Dh weighs around 200 and me at around 110 expected to sail together but were split up. My friend and I sailed together and our DHs sailed separately. Don't know why the 375 limit wasn't used.

Gee, maybe as a precondition for the excursion RCL could require participants to be on a special diet. No buffets, no Portofino's, No chops, no dessert, no room service, bread & water. and require you to put in 2 hrs per day in the exercise room. Oh, did i also mention no alcohol, no Johnny rockets,no Ben & Jerrys. Real fun cruise!

Gee, maybe as a precondition for the excursion RCL could require participants to be on a special diet. No buffets, no Portofino's, No chops, no dessert, no room service, bread & water. and require you to put in 2 hrs per day in the exercise room. Oh, did i also mention no alcohol, no Johnny rockets,no Ben & Jerrys. Real fun cruise!

Haha seriously! and unfortunately this will be at our last port as well so who knows what the weight could be then! However maybe thinking about the excursion will prevent some of the need for late night ice cream and pizza:D

We did it in Key West and once in Nassau. I felt a lot safer and they were more safety conscience in Key West. In Key West we sat side by side and in Nassau my DH sat behind me. Did not like that at all. It was very windy in Nassau and we realized after we were up we should not have been. Really whipped us around. I enjoyed it so much at Key West and could enjoy the view, but in Nassau I was terrified to look down.:eek:

Would I do it again, definitely but only if we sat side by side and it was not windy!!!

We are going to Labadee and St. Thomas in less than 7 weeks and a couple that are coming with us were wondering which place is best for parasailing.

Do both places have the same amount of time up in the air(personally, you wouldn't catch me up there!), and also is it really worth the money?

We told them to go for it, because when will you get the chance to do this again.

And one last question, do you recommend taking the excursion with RCL?? or a private company?

Thanks !!

Comet Cruiser

Gail

Revsmith,

Just wondering, was your response an answer of some sort to my questions??

If it was, I'm sorry but I don't understand what you were saying.

I come to this site to find out things I don't know and have always had good help in finding out answers to my questions, hopefully I will find the answers to my questions from someone.;)

Thanks

Comet Cruiser

Gail

And one last question, do you recommend taking the excursion with RCL?? or a private company?

I haven't been researching those specific places, but from what I've noticed about other ports, RCL is a lot more expensive. I think RCL is $79 for 6-8 minutes and others I found were $55 for 10-12 minutes. For that reason, I'll be going with a private company.

Hope that helps,

Courtney

I'm not sure it matters whether the excursion is thru RCL or a private company, I think parasailing is somehwhat risky (and I've done it). The reason I say private company is because of another thread where a passenger signed up for snorkeling thru RCL. the trip was terrible & dangerous, really bad conditions. Apparently RCL takes no responsibility for the subcontractors performance. they just sell the tickets & leave the decisions to the sub.

One other thought, if I were going again I'd probably probably feel safer with a vendor in the US (I did it previously at Lake Tahoe). However, and here's where I say it is an inherently risky activity. Even at Lake Tahoe a number of years ago a commercial boat stranded a guy on top of Cave Rock because they weren't watching him & the wind conditions & got too close to shore. It required a helicopted & search & rescue efforts to extricate the injured passenger. Good luck!

Thank you for all of your responses. From your thoughts and reseach ive done, we're thinking about going through a private company, since it is cheaper, you get more time in the air, and the RCC dont seem much more responsible. We also may end up having some people fly alone so the weight is not a concern. Our excursion was planned for cozumel next week, but with the hurricane we may not even be there! If we get re-routed we will def just find a parasailing vender off the beach somewhere.

Archived