Bad News At Carnival

To all the Faithful cruisers and to those of you thinking to cruise there is some new news at Carnival cruise lines that I have failed to see any customer relations about. As of this week here on ships the Carnival crew members who work so hard to provide you with the service you have come to know and love have received some bad news. With the implementation of the new CEO Gerry Cahill, there are some drastic changes being made across the Carnival Fleet.

We have been informed that many of the positions within the fleet have been removed in a cost cutting operation. What this basically means is that roughly 10% of all on board positions will be removed by December 1st 2007. This will inlcude moves like removing the Treo bands from all Fantasy class ships. They claim most of this will come from turnover and scheduling, but what it really means is that Carnival isn't happy with the amount of profit they are receiving and to increase these profits they want their employees to pick up the slack.

Imagine an average ship within the carnival fleet with roughly 1000 crew members, this number will drop to 900 who will still be responsible for all the work the former 1000 would do. As a carnival crew member the average work week is 72 hours. GASP I know. Now imagine taking away 100 people at 72 hours a week, that's 7200 hours to be picked up by the other 900 employees without any incentive or pay increase. That is a total of 8 extra hours per week, for the average person that is another full days work on top of an already busy work schedule.

I do not post this to try and hurt the company, i do not post it to try and make it change...just so you all know and understand why the crew members who make it their job to keep every Carnival customer happy may seem a little more stressed, seem a little more tired, or seem to take a little longer to get the job done. It is not because they don't want you satisfied, it is because they already work an enormous amount of hours which is increasing in order to make Gerry and his shareholders happy, inevitably this is the cost of doing business in America, I just hope they realize that while saving costs they are reducing our ability to give the best customer service available which is the true reason you all come back.

Please feel free to share your feelings and thoughts on this positive or negative as I and many other crew members would be happy to see some outside opinions.

Just wanted you all to know

Anonymous Carnival Crew Member....For now

There have been posts on the RCI threads asking why so much of the live music is dissapearing....dueling pianos etc, poof!!! Carnival is not the only cruiseline cutting corners with money/employees.

The price of oil is going up and Carnival needs to find the extra money somewhere, they cant raise prices and sell the cabins....what would you have them do?

I do feel sorry for the crew and wish I knew of another way to keep the company profitable. This doesnt seem fair....I wish you well, hope you dont get cut. I wish I could think of another way to raise prices. The economy seems to be slumping now too, which isnt going to help pricing.

Just the Ex-Captain trying a different tactic.

Corporations keep layoff plans close to the vest and simultaneously announce them to staff and investors (via press release). So far there is nothing on the Corporate site.

I'm sorry. :(

I hope that those employees who are upset by these changes will be able to find employment elsewhere. Working at a job where you aren't happy isn't any way to live.

For those that cannot find a way to employment someplace else, all I can say is that I will keep this all in mind and continue to treat all cruise ship employees with the respect gratitude you deserve so that hopefully your days will be a little brighter, if not easier.

Corporations keep layoff plans close to the vest and simultaneously announce them to staff and investors (via press release). So far there is nothing on the Corporate site.

I dont understand why you believe every negative post is the Captain. What proof do you have that he doesnt like Carnival and would pretend to work for them? If someone could prove to me its Captain, they I would say ok, I agree, but until someone has something other than accusations, then I dont believe.

firefly333@yahoo.com

btw, my company I worked for has been letting folks go, call it what you want, and I assure you they dont make it public, they keep cutting off the bottom 10% of the producers they call it weeding or other names....but the standards keep going up up up and the poor reps left are totally stressed. So, I know its not true a company always announces this to you the public.

When I first say this post I thought oh no ... another troll, but I see the sincerity in your posting and appreciate you making others aware of the changes. I know its going to be very hard on the crew members. The crews job has never been easy and now more stress from additional work load. I would personally rather see them raise the costs of the cruise a little than to see so many jobs lost but I also understand that part of Carnival's success is in their pricing. Best of luck to you and all the crew members.

There's an awful lot of competition in the cruise market, and it is really too bad that pricing pressure has to enter the equation in this manner. If you ask me, I would gladly pay $200 more for a cruise with better service, especially if I had some way of knowing that the staff was not being forced to pick up for a 10% headcount reduction.

However, with that said, a significant enough portion of the market will take a lower price over service, at least in the short run..

I'm sorry CCM. I guess the new CEO Gerry was brought in for the axe job as many are in big corporations and the employees are the ones who suffer. He must be a tough old bird!

The price of cruises has stayed so low for so long and they have to make a profit - the name of the game.

This certainly is not good news. However, I always appreciate the service of the Carnival crew and staff. I realize how hard you people work.

Like halos, I will also continue to appreciate the efforts made and treat everyone as I would want to be treated.

I hope your customers do not take it out on you guys. Good luck in your future plans.

Agreed. I would think shareholders would be interested in cost cutting moves such as layoffs.

Are you referring to me saying im the captain? I am not the captain nor do I ever plan to be. Believe it or not what is said in the post is true and you will see the changes between now and december 1st of this year. I do not ask anyone for their sympathy as I have the choice to be here and this cut itself will effect others far more than me. I just dont think it is right for some of the crew members (particularly dining staff and housekeeping) to be expected to pick up the extra as anyone who cruises see how hard we all work. I know everyone has their opinions and I cannot change the way anyone feels, and if i could i wouldnt, its your choice.

Thanks Don, I was going to respond but I thought I should at least read what the rest of the "gang" thought.

I won't say anything more:rolleyes:

Are you referring to me saying im the captain? I am not the captain nor do I ever plan to be. Believe it or not what is said in the post is true and you will see the changes between now and december 1st of this year. I do not ask anyone for their sympathy as I have the choice to be here and this cut itself will effect others far more than me.

I just dont think it is right for some of the crew members (particularly dining staff and housekeeping) to be expected to pick up the extra as anyone who cruises see how hard we all work. I know everyone has their opinions and I cannot change the way anyone feels, and if i could i wouldnt, its your choice.

I guess it really does not matter that you think it is right or not. Since this does not effect you personally, and you do not have to put in the extra hours, why are you posting and not them.

BTW, and just how do you know anything about the Captain, if this is your first thread/post?

Are you referring to me saying im the captain? I am not the captain nor do I ever plan to be. Believe it or not what is said in the post is true and you will see the changes between now and december 1st of this year. I do not ask anyone for their sympathy as I have the choice to be here and this cut itself will effect others far more than me. I just dont think it is right for some of the crew members (particularly dining staff and housekeeping) to be expected to pick up the extra as anyone who cruises see how hard we all work. I know everyone has their opinions and I cannot change the way anyone feels, and if i could i wouldnt, its your choice.

How do you know who the captain is if this topic was your first post and you joined today.?:cool:

I rest my case

More then just interested, it would be the companies fiduciary duty to report any layoff plans.

The word "layoff" will never appear in whatever press release (AKA crock of BS) they release.

It will be called "attrition", "furlough: or something else. And you can bet they won't take the time to explain that those who remain will be asked to pick up the slack.

[/b]

I guess it really does not matter that you think it is right or not. Since this does not effect you personally, and you do not have to put in the extra hours, why are you posting and not them.

BTW, and just how do you know anything about the Captain, if this is your first thread/post?

How do you know who the captain is if this topic was your first post and you joined today.?:cool:

I rest my case

Maybe since they are a Carnival employee they may think you are referring to the Captain of a Carnival ship:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by irishnewfie

Maybe since they are a Carnival employee they may think you are referring to the Captain of a Carnival ship

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, he said THE Captain, not A captain, which means he was referring to the person here,

get it?

Captain or no, I wouldn't trust the first (or second) post on news like this. There are (I would imagine) people on these boards in a position to know that have been much more active that 1 or 2 posts.

I tend to go back and look at previous poster's posting histories before I believe what they are saying. If there is no history, they get no respect. It at least gives me an idea of the person behind the post.

[/b]

I thought you were saying ex-captain of the ship...now that i just read someone elses post i realize you are speaking of an individual. I never said it doesnt effect me at all. My department is reducing on all conquest, spirit, and destiny class ships and I will be expected to work more hours and contract lengths will be kept to 6 months with no exceptions. I just say that it effects me less than others like housekeeping and dining. If you would like proof i am a crew member please feel free to visit the Carnival Glory over the next two cruises or the Inspiration after its upcoming drydock in september and my sign off in January. Ill even buy you a drink :)

I thought you were saying ex-captain of the ship...now that i just read someone elses post i realize you are speaking of an individual. I never said it doesnt effect me at all. My department is reducing on all conquest, spirit, and destiny class ships and I will be expected to work more hours and contract lengths will be kept to 6 months with no exceptions. I just say that it effects me less than others like housekeeping and dining. If you would like proof i am a crew member please feel free to visit the Carnival Glory over the next two cruises or the Inspiration after its upcoming drydock in september and my sign off in January.

see guys, you meantioned it and now he says he "misstated" trying to hide his true identity

cant we IP ban this guy? what is it? his 1000200448848th account?

Archived