NCL Grand Circle Island Tour

CabinForFour

Does anyone have photos uploaded of the sites visited in this 8-hour ship-sponsored post-cruise excursion? Is the Punchbowl Cemetary one of the sites? I assume not, since it's not specifically mentioned in the description. Where do they stop for lunch?

I'm thinking of doing this with our group of 13 rather than renting a car on the day we fly home, but I would like to have more specific information to show to my group to help with the final decision. Thanks!

Oahu Circle Island Tour:

Did it instead of sittnig at airport till 9 pm. I dont know which was better - airport or spending the $100 per person and sitting on a bus all day stopping for 5 minutes at 5 beaches and then 3 gift shops. (Kahuli? ranch was nice but only 45 minutes so only could shop and eat, Dole Plantation was half an hour also - so shop and eat an ice cream and those are the two BIG stops!).

Do not waste your money on this unless your totally out of other ideas. I can honestly say I have never seen so many unhappy people on a bus before - we all felt gyped except the alternative was not much better.

Tour guide was awful - boring and did not want to be there.

Sorry - I wrote a review under August 6 POH - we loved the entire trip. But that circle tour was the low point. IF you can - do the Pearl Harbor or rent a car.

My humble opinion -

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

Crunch

I have posted many times that renting car is out of the question since DH and I argue constantly about his driving and he doesn't like driving where he doesn't know where he is.

So, we have booked this tour for our last day, but certainly don't want to end on a sour note.

We had originally booked the PCC tour thru NCL, but wanted to see the night show Horizons and they don't stay long enough to see that, so we are doing that precruise from our hotel.

We are arriving 2 days early and doing the PCC the first day with RobertsHawaii and Pearl harbor and Hon. city the next day again with Roberts then checking in for the cruise.

We did want to get to see the North shore, etc. and our plane doesn't leave until 10:45 pm.

Ideas, please:confused:

Oahu Circle Island Tour:

sitting on a bus all day stopping for 5 minutes at 5 beaches and then 3 gift shops.

Crunch

That's what I was afraid of. :( We're flying to Oahu on the Wednesday before the Saturday sailing, staying at Waikiki, and planning to do Pearl Harbor on the day of sailing, so that's not really an option for the last day. I guess we'll just rent a car and drive around to a few places on our own to kill time 'til our 9:00 flight. Maybe pack our beach stuff and stop at Waimea or another pretty beach for a while? Definitely want to stop for a Dole Whip and maybe see Punchbowl Cemetary and the probably gardens you mentioned.

We are renting cars on Maui and the Big Island, so I thought it may be nice to avoid the hassle of pick-up and driving on our last day, but I guess renting the car will still be the best bet. I welcome input from anyone else about other options.

Disneyworld, we love your namesake and visit once or twice a year! Good luck finding a good option for your family as well. :)

There are a number of independent tour operators - Hawaiian Adventure Tours, some others - that I am sure could pick up your group on that last day and give you a wonderful tour of the North Shore for a LOT less money that NCL Circle Tour. I wouldn't of minded doing the Kahuli? Ranch for an entire afternoon - go horseback or ATV riding - they had a movie tour - that place you could stay at for awhile and enjoy yourselves a lot. Unfortunately, the NCL tour only stops at the Ranch for 45 minutes. But you do need to make rsvp ahead of time there - but that is what I would do. Its gorgeous - and then on way back - stop at Dole.

Other thing - spend the $20 per person on the Fly Away program so you dont have to worry about your bags! Just bring a carry one with you - with a bathing suit - they take your luggage to the airport, book it and give you your tickets so all you have to do is show up at the gate. Best $20 I have ever spent.

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't of minded doing the Kahuli? Ranch for an entire afternoon - go horseback or ATV riding - they had a movie tour - that place you could stay at for awhile and enjoy yourselves a lot.

We plan to do just this one late morning afternoon. I do need to make ressies, haven't done that yet. Just started reading Oahu revealeed so I should get a sort of itinerary soon for Oahu!

Is this the Kahuli? Ranch you referred to?

http://www.kualoa.com/about.htm

I profusely apologize for my awful spelling and my horrid memory! YES - that is the ranch!! LOL. I was kindof close!!

It looked awesome - I love to horseback ride - and the ATV's looked cool too - could of spent some hours there. Also wonderful beach across road for swimming and snorkeling.

ENJOY! Crunch

Oahu Circle Island Tour:

Did it instead of sittnig at airport till 9 pm. I dont know which was better - airport or spending the $100 per person and sitting on a bus all day stopping for 5 minutes at 5 beaches and then 3 gift shops. (Kahuli? ranch was nice but only 45 minutes so only could shop and eat, Dole Plantation was half an hour also - so shop and eat an ice cream and those are the two BIG stops!).

Do not waste your money on this unless your totally out of other ideas. I can honestly say I have never seen so many unhappy people on a bus before - we all felt gyped except the alternative was not much better.

Tour guide was awful - boring and did not want to be there.

Reply:

I really have to stop reading these posts. I had my itinerary for every day of our 11 day cruise on Sept. 29th all set and printed out, now I have made so many changes by reading these posts, both additions and substractions, that my itinerary looks like a confusing treasure map, so I'll have to redo it!!! Actually,I am very thankful for everyone's input and suggestions. I know everyone has their likes and dislikes, and someone who might like one thing, another won't, but these posts have confirmed some of my concerns as well as given me ideas I never would have thought of or known about on my own.

This is not the first time I have seen negative posts about the grand circle tour.

sooooo, we have decided to change our plans BIG time.

First, we used our travel rewards to book free flights from Florida to HNL for this cruise. So, we called yesterday to change our return flight to a day later. We got the last two reward seats for Oct 11, rather than the 10th. :) So, we are guessing this was "meant to be.":D

We made reservations at the very reasonably priced modest hotel, Queen Kapiolani hotel at a senior rate of 75. inc. tax. We are staying 2 days precruise there as well. We've heard they are an older hotel, but clean. It is 1/2 block from Wakiki beach and 20 min. walk to Diamond Head (DH and I ARE walkers).

Instead of Grand Circle, we are taking North Shore from ship with Roberts. The North Shore is really what we wanted to see anyway.

We'll be dropped off at hotel by Roberts around 4 pm.

We'll have a leisure evening, walk on the beach, have a nice dinner, etc.

The next morning, we'll walk over to Diamond Head and do the hike which we otherwise would have had to squeeze in somewhere or not do at all, and I really wanted to do this.

We've asked for, but not been promised a late checkout. After the Diamond Head walk go back to hotel, and change to go to the beach for awhile, something our schedule had not allowed us to do. Then our plane leaves at 9 pm.

We surely don't want our last day to be the low point of our cruise and feel that this leasure, slow down, will help us adjust a little.

Anyway, that hopefully is the last big change we make. Unless of course someone else comes up with a brilliant tour that we feel we just can't miss:rolleyes:

Disney world -

That intinerary sounds WONDERFUL. I was cracking up at your post - I had the same thing. Was changing and then changing again our plans - and you are so right - I am sure there were some on our bus that really enjoyed just driving around the island. I did enjoy that part - just did not think it was worth $100 specially when they had a full bus. I hear Roberts has fantastic tours and the North shore is something to see.

I am jealous of the cruisers that will be going more in the winter - to see the big surf waves would of been awesome.

ENJOY your cruise. The Hike your talking about - heard from a couple that did it and LOVED it.

Crunch

Disney world -

That intinerary sounds WONDERFUL. I was cracking up at your post - I had the same thing. Was changing and then changing again our plans - and you are so right - I am sure there were some on our bus that really enjoyed just driving around the island. I did enjoy that part - just did not think it was worth $100 specially when they had a full bus. I hear Roberts has fantastic tours and the North shore is something to see.

I am jealous of the cruisers that will be going more in the winter - to see the big surf waves would of been awesome.

ENJOY your cruise. The Hike your talking about - heard from a couple that did it and LOVED it.

Crunch

We found that the 100 each (200) was a lot of money too. Actually, the additional day is costing us less than just the Grand circle tour, the hotel included!!

We weren't charged anything to change our plane fare.

Our hotel is 75.. the tour with Roberts 58. transp to airp about 20., the hike is nominal, not sure how much, this amounts to 153. leaving us some extra for tips, towards meals, etc. and an Extra day on vacation in HAWAII!! Seems like a no brainer to me!!!:D

Archived