Hows the Coffee

Napi's Mom

One of the reasons we decided to go to Azamara and cancel RCCL is because of the terrible reviews the coffee on their ships got...I know sounds stupid, (It wasn't the most important reason, but it WAS a reason). RCCL uses coffee concentrate in their buffet and guess also Room Service, only really good coffee was said to be at the coffee bar on their Promenade, for a price. We were on Oceanias' Nautica last fall and they had very good, but strong coffee everywhere. (Learned to drink it with hot milk, or it got cold right away 'cause I had to add too much cream,) but then it was great (especially on our veranda early) Another question...Room service is free right??? And how do you pay your gratuities, as with open dining you don't have the same waiters etc. nightly. On Nautica...there was a set amount and all waiters ,stewards et al shared the tips, except extra was charged for butler service in suites...and the Drink servers who got 18% on each drink.:confused:

While we love the Cova Cafe, we travel with our French Press, and take along several of our favorite brands/grinds of coffee for it. The coffee for each pot is bagged separately so we carry the French Press and one bag of coffee to the buffet, use their hot water, and make our own coffee. But, in the evenings, for us - a stop at the Cova is a necessity.

One of the reasons we decided to go to Azamara and cancel RCCL is because of the terrible reviews the coffee on their ships got...I know sounds stupid' date=' (It wasn't [b']the[/b] most important reason, but it WAS a reason). RCCL uses coffee concentrate in their buffet and guess also Room Service, only really good coffee was said to be at the coffee bar on their Promenade, for a price. We were on Oceanias' Nautica last fall and they had very good, but strong coffee everywhere. (Learned to drink it with hot milk, or it got cold right away 'cause I had to add too much cream,) but then it was great (especially on our veranda early) Another question...Room service is free right??? And how do you pay your gratuities, as with open dining you don't have the same waiters etc. nightly. On Nautica...there was a set amount and all waiters ,stewards et al shared the tips, except extra was charged for butler service in suites...and the Drink servers who got 18% on each drink.:confused:

Unless things have changed at RCL since March, we always see coffee beans from a package going into the machines. It could be at times the mixture is not properly coordinated. Can you tell us what coffee concentrate is? Is it a liquid mixture?

I loved the custom coffee makers on Journey in Windows cafe and pool grill. It was Bremer Viva machine with beans ground as style is selected. Reg/decaf espresso, double espresso, double coffee(Americano). With experimentation you should be able to blend a hearty flavor. Best coffee I have had at sea (15 cruises) and free vs. Cova.

I loved the custom coffee makers on Journey in Windows cafe and pool grill. It was Bremer Viva machine with beans ground as style is selected. Reg/decaf espresso, double espresso, double coffee(Americano). With experimentation you should be able to blend a hearty flavor. Best coffee I have had at sea (15 cruises) and free vs. Cova.

I'll second that and with a little practice I was able to concoct a double latte'.

Can you tell us what coffee concentrate is? Is it a liquid mixture?

A lot of cruise lines use liquid concentrate to make coffee in the buffets and some even do it in the dining room. Generally it tastes pretty terrible :(

RCCL uses coffee concentrate in their buffet :

Incorrect. RCI uses machines that grind beans and brew the coffee automatically in the buffets. It's really not bad. The coffee in the main dinning room is bad, but the buffet coffee is the best free coffee I've found on mainstream cruise ships.

I agree...but you have to like strong coffee or dilute with hot water. It was the first coffee on a cruise ship (other than the specialty coffees) that I and my DH really liked. He particularly loved the Espresso option. And the coffee made great iced coffee for those who like that.

Incorrect. RCI uses machines that grind beans and brew the coffee automatically in the buffets. It's really not bad. The coffee in the main dinning room is bad, but the buffet coffee is the best free coffee I've found on mainstream cruise ships.

That's what we experienced. Believe RCL uses Seattles Best in the buffet.

I agree...but you have to like strong coffee or dilute with hot water. It was the first coffee on a cruise ship (other than the specialty coffees) that I and my DH really liked. He particularly loved the Espresso option. And the coffee made great iced coffee for those who like that.

I made my own iced coffee from the machines in the buffet on Journey, but the one pain in the neck was that in the buffet they only had small juice sized glasses.

I also just returned from the August 11 sailing. I'm a real coffee lover and was able to use the machines to get very good, but not great, coffee. The coffee poured in the dining room and at the buffet was very inconsistent and could be awful, or then again, could be very good. Inconsistency was not unusual for the dining experience in general.

1) The Cova Cafe consistently served the best (at a price of course!).

2) We made our own 'brew' in the buffet line by mixing the "American" and "Espresso". (On their own - each was not so good)

3) The Discoveries coffee was always bad, and

4) The in-room dining coffee (for breakfast) was always good!

• 2 weeks later...
One of the reasons we decided to go to Azamara and cancel RCCL is because of the terrible reviews the coffee on their ships got...I know sounds stupid' date=' (It wasn't [b']the[/b] most important reason, but it WAS a reason). RCCL uses coffee concentrate in their buffet and guess also Room Service, only really good coffee was said to be at the coffee bar on their Promenade, for a price. We were on Oceanias' Nautica last fall and they had very good, but strong coffee everywhere. (Learned to drink it with hot milk, or it got cold right away 'cause I had to add too much cream,) but then it was great (especially on our veranda early) Another question...Room service is free right??? And how do you pay your gratuities, as with open dining you don't have the same waiters etc. nightly. On Nautica...there was a set amount and all waiters ,stewards et al shared the tips, except extra was charged for butler service in suites...and the Drink servers who got 18% on each drink.:confused:

FABULOUS................

if you pay for it.. but the espresso upstairs was good too!!

Archived